To cover or not???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The one I was just working on the fellows got 5 grand the container was a 40 footer. Mines is 12 by 6 by 6 feet's I got about $800.00 in and a lot of work and changing. You can't believe the changes I've made to get it right Later Customer. calling

Covering the top won't hurt it. If it keeps the rain off go for it. In wi I consider winter a neutral time. Don't really think it's dries at all, most of the time it's froze solid if still green. I just let it sit in the snow.

Wood dries in the winter through a process known as sublimation where solid ice transfers directly to vapor. That's the science behind freeze-drying - and why your ice cubes mysteriously shrink in the freezer.

I personally rarely cover - but most all hardwood in my pile. Softies like mentioned in the OP - maybe different. I burn a little white and red pine and find it really wicks up moisture if it has the chance.

My big problem with my Kiln was to get the in put of heat to match the discharge of moisture to match up with the heat. My Kiln works basically like a pressure cooker.

I have to go along with WoodBooga on this, but climate also is a factor. Eastern Nebraska only averages 29" a year in precipitation, and maybe gets 25" in snow. Last year we only got 17" of white stuff all winter, and I never even started my 2-stage snow thrower. That was a freak, but I have yet to cover my big firewood stack. My solution is to have a current stack that has protection under a raised deck, and I replenish that with the big reserve stack. After brushing off the snow, it will sublime. I also store logs in a large wooden box with casters on it and more wood near the stove where I roll the box. The stove melts and dries out whatever surface moisture is left. This 2-to-3-stage approach works well for me.

i stack mine on the porch and around the house for a wind block seems to work fine

I'v had people to give me split wood because they give up on firewood and went back to gas wood they give me was 2 to 3 years old only the bottom row was bad but dried it still burn

i stack mine on the porch and around the house for a wind block seems to work fine

Are you serious? Does it help keep the house warmer? It would seem slightly dangerous keeping a fuel source around the house but at second thought doesn't seem so bad. Houses are made out of wood anyway (most of them anyway).

Are you serious? Does it help keep the house warmer? It would seem slightly dangerous keeping a fuel source around the house but at second thought doesn't seem so bad. Houses are made out of wood anyway (most of them anyway).
I doubt that his stack will keep the house that much warmer, but it will cut back the wind chill when JakeWells goes out to the stack and brings in wood to heat his house.

I doubt that his stack will keep the house that much warmer, but it will cut back the wind chill when JakeWells goes out to the stack and brings in wood to heat his house.

Oh I see lol. Thought he meant it as a sort of wind deflector for his house, sort of like the curved tops of semi trucks. Wind isn't bad here so wind breakers aren't on my mind.

Back