Top handle electric saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackjcc

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've seen the janky looking electric saws out there and I've seen the top end ones. They seem to be missing a major opportunity. Why don't they make a high end battery powered top handle climbing saw? When in the tree the constant starting of the saw is fairly annoying, but whatever, it's part of the job. It just seems that a nice tight little electric saw that started with the squeeze of the trigger is something climbers would want. Of course you would need a few extra batteries, but the weight is really coming down and the power keeps going up. They make some extremely small pole saws and I think if some good engineers put their mind to it you could have a great arb saw.

I'm thinking aloud again, but what else can I do when I'm stuck unable to work on my projects and saws are on the mind.

I don't know if this is a good place for this thread, I'm putting it here because this is where I spend most of my time on AS.

Well I'll be. (Foot in mouth). Thanks for pointing that out, I guess I figured I would have seen an ad or some info on that by now. But I tend to ignore husky, not because I don't like them.

I believe these electrics have a place with pro arborists because they "exercise" the batteries enough to keep them healthy. I am not sure about a homeowner who uses it once a year though.

Funnily enough, it's around the home use that interests me the most.
I like the idea of a hedge trimmer, leaf blower, chainsaw, whipper snipper that doesn't annoy my neighbours.
For professional use I'd probably just use them in an urban environment for the first hour, when I feel guilty about using a petrol chainsaw. By then is have a stack for the chipper and once it starts the chainsaw isn't the noisy bit!
I still feel like it's going to be the next generation of these saws that will be the one to have, but I'm happy to be proven wrong

I like the idea of a hedge trimmer, leaf blower, chainsaw, whipper snipper that doesn't annoy my neighbours.

I have used my Oregon battery saw across the street from a church on a Sunday. Makes no more noise than a reciprocating saw (Sawzall).

I still feel like it's going to be the next generation of these saws that will be the one to have, but I'm happy to be proven wrong

They will only keep getting better.

These 36 - 40V saws are a big leap over the 18V ones. No competition for a MS660, but great for 'grab-and-go', trimming, light limbing, etc.

Back to the OP, in addition to being easy to start, a quiet saw also helps climbers communicate with their groundies.

Philbert

The days of cold start issues are gone. No more pulling and pulling just squeeze and cut. The motors and batteries are getting so advance now you are looking at an hour per battery cutting time. Carry say, 3 batteries per saw plus a quick charger, you're laughing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The motors and batteries are getting so advance now you are looking at an hour per battery cutting time.

Oregon's Li-Ion batteries started at 1.25 amp hours, then 2.4Ah , now up to 4.0 Ah in the same size case (2lbs11oz). https://oregoncordless.com/US/Products/Accessories/Batteries-B600E-Lithium-Battery-Pack

STIHL offers a battery backpack, but I rather not carry all that weight. http://www.stihlusa.com/products/battery-accessories/batteries/ar900/ 891 watt hours (24.7 Ah), 16 pounds. I would rather swap out a few smaller batteries, and let the others charge.

Philbert

Funnily enough, it's around the home use that interests me the most.
For professional use I'd probably just use them in an urban environment for the first hour, when I feel guilty about using a petrol chainsaw. By then is have a stack for the chipper and once it starts the chainsaw isn't the noisy bit!

We are in incremental stage now with these battery tools. About like computers or cellphones..you can keep waiting for a better one, but that means you will never get one. A couple years ago they hit "good enough to use" stage.

If you can justify one for your purposes, and either got the spare coin or it is a business deduction..there's no need to wait. Especially when the major advances are with the batts. Get one and a couple batts, a couple years later, batts are getting whipped, uupgrade then.

That's about what I do with cell phones. the latest and greatest is like every few months, that's nuts, I wait until the battery is whipped or the phone stops working, then I get another one that is cheaper and better all around. Works out to around two years or so.

The cost for a good electric tool is getting close to the good gas tool. I still prefer the all day running ability of gas, but I want to wait a few more years for electric.

But they have their advantages. For example anyone heard of Newmarket in England? The horse racing capital in the uk? I was doing some tree work there with a firm and we were contracted to remove a large birch, top it, drop it, chip it and then grind the stump so they could concrete all over it and put a stable up nicer than my house for some prestigious race horses. Anyway we rock up, chipper on tow, trailer on another van and the manager there started going ape saying we were making to much noise and we were idiots etc, basically telling us to be quiet because of the horses. When we got ready, old boy shimmied up the tree with his saw and stuff and fired his saws up.

Well blow me if we didn't just start another world war he came storming out (probably 5ft 2, bald and wearing all the equestrian clobber, you
Know the skin tight spandex trousers, boots and emirates jacket) shouting and blowing his top complaining we were "damaging" the horses. We old him it's noise or the tree stays, he phoned about and they told him it's okay, they moved the horses and we started the chipper up and got to work. So I could see an application there for electric saws and equipment. But like you say, a little electric saw making a little bit of noise is acceptable, but when you fire up a large turbo diesel 10" wood chipper the point seems redundant. And batteries ain't good enough to keep a chipper running. That's for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd think the batteries add a lot of weight. Notice the 11.2lb. makita.

Back