Top handle electric saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd think the batteries add a lot of weight. Notice the 11.2lb. makita.
There may be some trade off between battery size and weight. Although, as noted, the Oregon batteries have significantly increased capacity without doing this.

The Makita with the 36V battery is listed as 10 pounds; 11.2 lbs is with two 18V batteries and the adaptor, for those guys who have already invested in those batteries for Makita contractor tools.

Philbert

Some of then have power saving modes so you get lower rpm's and decreased battery consumption. But surely
Variable speed would
Benefit a lot better with use of drills?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They need to make them variable speed.

What advantage do you see in that Gregg?

We are taught to run saws wide open to reduce the risk of kick-back (etc.), and most of these corded electric and battery saws are already running at a slower chain speed than a petrol saw.

Philbert

The biggest disadvantage of the stihl I played with was the slow spool up compared to a petrol version. Cut speed was marginal, but sufficient. The 1/4 chain is a bit of a pain - but I can live with it on a pole saw.
I haven't tried the ones that run a 3/8lp chain, but that is theoretically preferable as the Oregon is reportedly perfectly happy running that option.

STIHL battery chainsaw runs 1/4 inch pitch chain.
Makita top handle chainsaw and Oregon pole saw run 3/8 low profile/narrow kerf (Oregon type 90) chain.
Oregon chainsaw (CS250) comes with PowerSharp chain, but will run any standard 3/8 low profile, .050 chain (Oregon type 91, STIHL PS3, etc.).
Husqvarna chainsaws appears to also use 3/8 low profile OR 1/4 inch, depending on the model - some models let you choose.
Bosch
AKE 30 LI saw appears to use 3/8 low profile/narrow kerf (Oregon type 90) chain.

Philbert

Howdy,
The Makita 5012 is the base of a really good electric saw. I pretty sure it's the only electric that gets anywhere close to gas chainsaw because it's direct drive. It's disadvantages are the manual oiler only. If it were variable speed, the feel would be more like a gas saw, and you would have torque through the rpm range. Safety-wise, just like a gas saw cutting at a slower rpm, it will not stop kick back but, it would be much less violent than just running full on, or off. I'm sure carvers would love a variable speed. We used to sell a lot of rheostats to customers for this purpose but, torque suffered.
Regards
Gregg

My Makita electric has variable speed and kinda spools up. My Echo and mse220 don't though, they are on or off. I am waiting to see which battery saw will prevail between the Makita, Stihl, Husky, and Oregon. All seem to be first gen realistic battery saws.

My Makita electric has variable speed and kinda spools up. My Echo and mse220 don't though, they are on or off. I am waiting to see which battery saw will prevail between the Makita, Stihl, Husky, and Oregon. All seem to be first gen realistic battery saws.

Have you found the variable speed to be useful?

Howdy,
They need to make them variable speed.
Regards
Gregg
The Husqvarna 536LiXP runs its chain at 20 meters per second and you can vary the speed with the throttle lever.
That little gem is my first choice saw since one and a half year now. I even do the limbing until about ten inches on all of my take downs with it.
It has two sizes batteries (same dimensions and about the same weight). One has 3 amps and the other 4.2 amps.

Wolter

I haven't used the electric all that much except for cutting pallets and I could see where the variable is nice on smaller cuts. The torque seems the same as in full speed.

The Husqvarna 536LiXP runs its chain at 20 meters per second and you can vary the speed with the throttle lever.
That little gem is my first choice saw since one and a half year now. I even do the limbing until about ten inches on all of my take downs with it.
It has two sizes batteries (same dimensions and about the same weight). One has 3 amps and the other 4.2 amps.

Wolter

Would be nice to see the Husqvarna 536LiXP here in the States.

Latest posts

Back