Torn rotator cuff and starting saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goostoff

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any luck still being able to cut firewood. I am deadly fearful of even trying to start a saw right now but I would really like to get out and get started on summer campfire wood stash and next years heating wood. I think for the most part I would be able to manage if I can get the saw started. I cant even have my son start it for me cause I still have to start his for him. I do have a Stihl with EZ start but I only keep a 14" bar on it so if I need to get the 440 out thats when things get real.

I have had two surgery's on the same shoulder in the last two years and I still am not pull starting chain saws or any small engines for that matter. As a matter of fact I just switched over the last small engine I had on a air compressor to one that has electric start. I am not wanting to go threw any more shoulder surgery's. Last two years I have had my two buddies running the chain saws. This year will be no different.

my rc wasnt tore, but had probs w/right shoulder.
start saws w/left now.

Iv dont this. But I do set the saw on the ground and hold it with my foot when I do this.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Cutting in the woods or a pile at home?

Might be able to run a longer bar on your EZ Start saw with skip chain?

Would you consider one of the better battery powered saws (easy ON/OFF)?

If cutting from a pile near a building, consider one of the better corded electric saws (not the cheap ones).

The electric saws may not do everything, but could eliminate hundreds of unnecessary cord pulls, saving those for when they are needed.

Philbert

Anyone have any luck still being able to cut firewood. I am deadly fearful of even trying to start a saw right now but I would really like to get out and get started on summer campfire wood stash and next years heating wood. I think for the most part I would be able to manage if I can get the saw started. I cant even have my son start it for me cause I still have to start his for him. I do have a Stihl with EZ start but I only keep a 14" bar on it so if I need to get the 440 out thats when things get real.
Look up kick start your chainsaw. Some really simple ideas... the one at farm show looks like 5$ worth of 2x4s.... good luck with shoulder

Struggled with the same problem for years. Had shoulder rebuilt after waiting 6 yrs and having 3 tears.I stihl start left handed. I would say get it fixed as soon as you can. I waited to long and did permanent damage and will never be 100% again. And uncle stach. It has nothing to do with how strong your delts are.Years of abuse and bad technique are the killer.

I may have misread the original post - was surgery done or not? If it was done and if you can't pull the starter, you shouldn't be cutting yet. You want to avoid sharp jerking motions. I've had both shoulders done and it takes a year for full recovery and make sure you do the therapy. I start everything now up to and including my Super 1050 and Mac SP125c. Use extra caution on stairs. Make sure your good shoulder side is on the handrail. You don't want to catch yourself from falling with the repaired side. If surgery was not done and the cuff is frayed, it could damage the outer bicep tendon - it did in my case. If you add that to cuff repair, recovery can take longer.

Obummer has left me without insurance that is useable, and there is no way I can aford to be off work for 6 to 8 months. This would bankrupt me. I do like the 2X4 kick starter idea

Consider a Dolmar 6100. I think that's the biggest easiest starting saw. Not quite a 440, but probably not too far behind. They start very easily without yanking on the cord.

Do you make a quick detach so the drill is pushed off, like the crank on an old car or tractor?

No, the socket pulls off fairly easy. Honestly i have a hard time keeping it on the engine. The old tractors had that cause the firing of the engine would grab the crank and pull you around. And they needed a way to take it off once the engine started. I’ll see if I can get a vid of it in action.

Latest posts

Back