tree work for neighbor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirbuildalot

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
There are 4 houses on the common driveway I live on. I'm the last house. At the opposite end closest to the road, the neighbor (about 900 ft. away) wants to build a 30x40 garage. In talking to him this past weekend, the area he wants to clear has approx. a dozen trees of varying diameters. Ranging from 8" to 18". All except a couple of the small ones are hardwood, mostly red oak. The small ones are poplars.

Anyways, he got prices from a few local "tree guys" and he was quoted $2,500 to cut the trees and chip the brush. No stump grinding or removal included.

I'm thinking of telling him I'll down the trees, and keep the wood (the brush, I'd pile in the corner of his yard for him to burn), and charge $500 cash. The stump removal is not included.

My debate is what would you charge him, if at all. I'm thinking there may be 2 cords max of wood, so $500 worth of logs at the most. None of the trees are near his house or lines or anything like that. I could drop them, bring the logs to my house, and brush piled in 4ish hours with my tractor. Is keeping the wood and him paying $500 a fair deal for both? I think it is. I get a little money and some free wood, he saves some money.

I haven't asked him yet, waiting to hear others opinions.

You may have more than 2 cords depending on how many 18" trees are there.
http://www.fireplacemall.com/blog/2017/05/how-much-firewood-per-tree/

An easy to get scrounge right up the road.... I think it's a fair deal. The cost to him would be FAR less than having a tree service do it, even if he still has to deal with the slash pile.

If you can make the slash pile at the road, you may be able to call a tree service and get a quote for them to come chip and remove the pile. This may be a couple hundred $$ depending on the size of the pile and how far they need to drag the branches to get them to the chipper.

If you get a price quote for this BEFORE you make the deal with your neighbor, add that cost to your price and tell your neighbor that you will take care of getting rid of the slash pile as well. That may make the deal more attractive to him. He basically gets the same job that the tree service would have done for less than 1/2 the cost. You get a few $$, the fun of playing with your petroleum fueled toys, and you get some fire wood.

He basically gets the same job that the tree service would have done for less than 1/2 the cost. You get a few $$, the fun of playing with your petroleum fueled toys, and you get some fire wood.

If it is a reputable tree service that is carrying liability and workman's comp insurance it is not the same deal and can wind up costing the neighbor much more than the 2k he is saving if sirbuildalot gets hurt while doing the job.

I'm thinking of telling him I'll down the trees, and keep the wood (the brush, I'd pile in the corner of his yard for him to burn), and charge $500 cash. The stump removal is not included.

My debate is what would you charge him, if at all. I'm thinking there may be 2 cords max of wood, so $500 worth of logs at the most. None of the trees are near his house or lines or anything like that. I could drop them, bring the logs to my house, and brush piled in 4ish hours with my tractor.
The key thing here is that a garage is going in so yard damage doesn't matter and there is no danger of hitting house or lines or I would not recommend this. Also how is your relationship with the neighbor and what restrictions the government has in your area must be considered.
How often can you get access to wood within 1000 ft of your house? I have done this and more for friends/family/church members for free before, but I had to drive at least 10 miles to do it. If you get paid for it that would be a bonus but if you are doing it for free you can work without pressure. Either way I would say go for it.
As others have mentioned there is an insurance issue, but we have become a worry about everything society. Do any of us have insurance (beyond basic medical) when we are out cutting firewood?

I don't know who he got prices from. Even if I got hurt, I wouldn't sue my neighbor. That's not how I am. I've cut down hundreds of trees, including widow makers, 48" diameter specimens, and in reality am probably more experienced than a lot of the guys on any given tree company crew. Whether you believe that or not doesn't really matter to me. I've been cutting trees for over 20 years. We used to clear our own house lots.

Out of curiosity, you guys only have licensed and insured people work on your stuff and at your house? You always pull proper permits and notify your insurance companies of any changes? Roofing, siding, windows, doors, decks, interior remodels, any of those that you hire out is done by insured individuals, and inspected, correct? How about lawn mowing, driveway plowing, if you don't do it yourself the person who does is insured, right?

Money talks, and I'm curious how quick you guys are to open your own wallets, cause your pretty quick spending other peoples money. I understand your point, I do, I just hope your practicing what your preaching. I was a contractor, and had jobs go to lower bidders with no credentials or insurance, and always said that to the homeowner, "What if they get hurt......", at the end of the day convincing people to spend extra money is something I've realized is about impossible. I lost sleep losing jobs back them, I bet the guy working for cash that outbid me never did.

I did ask for advice, that's true.

As noted though, there is nothing I can possibly damage nearby. No wires, no buildings, no driveway. Therefore, I have to assume your referring to me suing him if I get hurt. Maybe you wouldn't take that insinuation personally, but I do. I have more character than to sue someone over something I did. Im trying to get a little wood and save the guy some money. That's all.

Even if I got hurt, I wouldn't sue my neighbor. That's not how I am.

Out of curiosity, you guys only have licensed and insured people work on your stuff and at your house? You always pull proper permits and notify your insurance companies of any changes? Roofing, siding, windows, doors, decks, interior remodels, any of those that you hire out is done by insured individuals, and inspected, correct? How about lawn mowing, driveway plowing, if you don't do it yourself the person who does is insured, right?

Money talks, and I'm curious how quick you guys are to open your own wallets, cause your pretty quick spending other peoples money.
I completely agree with this and I am like you.
However I see your profile says you live in Massachusetts, which is not known for this attitude. That is why I said it depends on your neighbor as I would not recommend doing work for Sir Sues A Lot, but if you're neighbor has an attitude like you and me, I would jump at the opportunity for firewood within walking distance of my house.

As noted though, there is nothing I can possibly damage nearby. No wires, no buildings, no driveway. Therefore, I have to assume your referring to me suing him if I get hurt. Maybe you wouldn't take that insinuation personally, but I do. I have more character than to sue someone over something I did. Im trying to get a little wood and save the guy some money. That's all.
When you ask for advice, and are given advice that isn’t in line with what you want to hear, don’t get defensive. No one here knows you from Adam, so it’s not personal.

Liability, insurance, workmans comp ect does not automatically protect the contractor or the homeowner. It just gives either party an additional point to argue in court.

While I am on good terms with my neighbors, I would never do any of this type of work for them. If asked, I will tell them I am way too busy and recommend another tree service. Nothing personal but I have seen WAY too many problems/hurt feelings start like this and I can get processor log length wood trucked to my door for about $120 a cord.

If you do decide to do this, a simple contract signed by both parties that details the exact work/cleanup/timeframe is recommended.

Two things that can go wrong. One you have a little control over. Neighbors sometimes have misunderstandings. I have 3 neighbors (well 2 now, one just died) that have been fueding since before I moved into the neighborhood 8~9 years ago. I doubt anyone one of them knows what started the argument, but they all make each other pretty miserable. Hate to see that happen. If he isn't an immediate next door neighbor it might be a little easier if things go south in your relationship.

2nd, you might have no say whatsoever in who sues who. If your insurance company pays out to cover an injury you recieved while on your neighbors property (heaven forbid) they may attempt to recover their losses through a lawsuit or other means.
Not offering an opinion either way, just food for thought.

Liability, insurance, workmans comp ect does not automatically protect the contractor or the homeowner. It just gives either party an additional point to argue in court.

While I am on good terms with my neighbors, I would never do any of this type of work for them. If asked, I will tell them I am way too busy and recommend another tree service. Nothing personal but I have seen WAY too many problems/hurt feelings start like this and I can get processor log length wood trucked to my door for about $120 a cord.

If you do decide to do this, a simple contract signed by both parties that details the exact work/cleanup/timeframe is recommended.

Protection is not automatic but it is there and there is no need to involve courts should an accident happen. If I or one of my crew damage property on a job site it is a only a matter of putting in a claim. I'm not sure how all states work but in CT having workman's comp takes the threat of suit of the homeowner out of the equation. Most homeowners policies will not cover damage to persons or property if an un-insured, unlicensed contractor is doing the work. If you have an agreement to preform work for a fee your a contractor.

To the OP, while I'm sure you are a seasoned tree man, this is still Aboristsite and there are still a few aborists that hang out here. Some of us pay a lot of money for licenses, insurance, continuing education credits etc. We've all lost jobs to the neighbor who could do the job as well as us for 25% of the money and been called back to clean up the mess. Not saying this is you by any means but go on a forum for plumbers, electricians, carpenters, any trade for that matter and say I'm Joe Homeowner and I can do your job as good as you for 25% of the cost and your bound to rub a few asses raw. I wish you the best of luck.

This would be the second time I've gotten wood from this neighbor. Last time it was from a couple big oaks he had a tree company take down near his house.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/nice-load-of-red-oak-this-morning.315289/

I have to admit, I don't know this particular neighbor that well. Despite living on the same driveway (that I plow for free every storm), we don't talk very much. He's only lived there 2 or 3 years, and I tend to keep to myself most of the time. Him and his wife seem nice enough, and I don't see him as the type of guy who would sue me for damaging his property, but you never know I guess. You guys may be right with the contract. I also don't want anyone to feel like they got screwed or are owed future favors.

If there is any chance of damaging anyapart of his property that is valuable (more than a fence) don't do the job. Your main worry will be damaging him, his wife, or their friends who wander into the workzone. I would cone off the zone with tape and warning signs, and photograph your attempts to deny access, giving you a defense against a claim of negligence. If he's worried you will hurt yourself and sue him (a concept that sisckens me to the core) then offer to indemnify him - just get him to take a video of you verbally indemnifing him. I did this once and the guy was totally happy.

^^^^ this in spades.

I'm not a lawyer but doesn't getting paid to do the job increase one's liability every more? A couple years ago I was moving a load of rounds down a slope, trailer dumped a couple rounds that rolled down and put dents in their new car, not big but still. My homeowner's insurance paid but they made sure that I hadn't been paid anything.

I don't know who he got prices from. Even if I got hurt, I wouldn't sue my neighbor. That's not how I am. I've cut down hundreds of trees, including widow makers, 48" diameter specimens, and in reality am probably more experienced than a lot of the guys on any given tree company crew. Whether you believe that or not doesn't really matter to me. I've been cutting trees for over 20 years. We used to clear our own house lots.

Money talks, and I'm curious how quick you guys are to open your own wallets, cause your pretty quick spending other peoples money. I understand your point, I do, I just hope your practicing what your preaching. I was a contractor, and had jobs go to lower bidders with no credentials or insurance, and always said that to the homeowner, "What if they get hurt......", at the end of the day convincing people to spend extra money is something I've realized is about impossible. I lost sleep losing jobs back them, I bet the guy working for cash that outbid me never did.

I have been cutting for 40 odd years. I also pay the pro's to remove any trees at my place (all are 'hazard' types), I've probably put out around $5,000 for tree removal over the years. That said, I remove trees at other people's places all the time but have never been paid to do so.

One scrounging technique that has worked a couple times for me is an offer to sign a "hold harmless" agreement if I get hurt.

Why do you not have a picture of this tree?

What tree?

There are about a dozen trees, as I previously stated. Also, I haven't paid to "upgrade" my photo bucket which used to be free. Not sure what a picture of a bunch of trees would show. You think I'm making it all up? LOL... Like the guy from the Eastonmade thread. I was one of the ones to disparage his tale.

I thought of offering to do the job just for the wood, but I think the scope of work is worth more than a couple cords of wood. After all I'm still putting wear and tear on my tractor, using my diesel fuel, using my saws, my mix gas, my time, etc. I think saving him a couple grand and me making a few hundred bucks with some thrown in wood is fair all around.

I agree with turnkey4099. If you just get him to buy your gas and some lunch and you get to keep the wood it is a big difference than taking a paying job in terms of liability. If you get hurt, it may not be up to you if your medical insurance company is going to sure him. They have a right to subrogate against the home owner. If you don't take the paying job it is just you bring neighbourly and helping him out. I help my friend's and neighbors out all the time with off jobs and when for food, beer, and help in return in the future.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Back