Trenching through oak roots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sara said:
And one of the redbuds, which was not in the best health anyway, was dealt its death blow when the water company trenched underneath it to expose the water main. Where before it looked like it could have held its own given some TLC, it is obvious now that it is dying and probably can't be saved. They've left that trench, which is just barely off our property, wide open for over a month now.
Maybe the arborist could appraise the redbud value, so you could put that figure into the claim. Or, on your own you could call around and see what the largest possible redbud would cost to install and maintain for three years.
The robber baron is back in style, but with a 21st century flair; that is, all the little podunk barons are in on the act now.
That's kind of scary, isn't it, but it describes the corruption of the podunk political system that I see happening in my own town. It's like you said before--if we don't get off the couch and use our civil liberties, we lose them.

You tell em Guy, damned fat cats have the money to do things better but want their Christmas bonus .... Oh, look how efficiently I ran the business.

Some media exposure would be good on this one.

All quiet on the western front.

The water company has put our project on the back burner, I guess.

And we want that line in the ground on the west side of the road before we proceed with our claim against them.

Looks like it's gonna be a waiting game....

:yoyo:

Last edited:
Concur...

They'd be concurring with their legal eagles fur shure... :sword:

We all wait with hands on holsters (pens/keyboards) looks like a ring of Arb' Angels has encircled your camp Sara...:angel:

Unfortunately, it's tough

I had a beautiful Norway Maple in my yard, and soon after diggging an 18 inch hole for a pool, it died.

The pool get used 3 months of the year, but I enjoyed the tree all the time.

Sara, your project seems like a necessity, so listen to these tree experts.

Unfortunately, it's tough

I had a beautiful Norway Maple in my yard, and soon after digging an 18 inch hole for a pool, it died.

The pool gets used 3 months of the year, but I enjoyed the tree all the time.

Sara, your project seems like a necessity, so listen to these tree experts.

In Jonathan Swift's story, Gulliver Traveled to Lilliput, where all the people were tiny. Lilliputians might swim in an 18-inch pool.:laugh: :D :ices_rofl:

Obscure literary track to a pretty dumb attempt at a cheap joke.:bang:

Hi folks!

Hope this post finds everyone well.:)

The water company finally came out, dug their trench and laid their line.

Here are some pix:

HPIM0541.jpg

HPIM0539.jpg

HPIM0565.jpg

HPIM0566.jpg

Don't you just love their 2-foot wide by 30-inch deep trench? (That's what they claimed it was going measure at the outset of the charade.) It sure looks bigger than that.

Can you imagine that mess on the other side of the road!? :eek:

I cannot imagine it on the other side of the road as I am such a simple man that this was simply not in the equasion from the beginning.

Glad it worked out for you.

Charlie

Power to the people!!

:blob2:

Bet your proud as punch Sara:biggrinbounce2:

Be nice to know the other trees came along ok, they look ok if they are yours above...

Nice soil you have in your neck of the woods.

Great to see the win.

Last edited:
I have not seen this thread before but I have been thoroughly captivated but this story! I dare say this is one of the best I have ever read online and godness knows I spend some time online too!!

It appears it all going to work out.

Have you ever considered writing proffesional Sara? Not saying you should write a book about stick it to the water company, but could be anything. Something about your style of writing was leaving me wanting more everythime I read a post of yours.

Wow. Fantastic read!!

Wow! I can't believe it's been almost a year since I first came here looking for help. Reading over the thread, I find myself getting a bit emotional... not only over memories of challenging circumstances, but even more so because of the many fine examples of wit and wisdom to be found in this forum.

You folks were the silver lining to our cloud.:rockn:

The trees are thriving, though you wouldn't have known it last month when the water guys were here. The oaks, the walnut, and the pecans were looking pretty puny right about then... because of the Frankenweather of April.

In this neck of the woods, on the night of April Fool's, a wicked-looking double-ringed full moon held sway in the sky. Out here, folks say a moon like that signals "falling weather". Well, indeed, the weather did fall.

One day, it was 72 degrees out, the next it was 42, and in 2 more, it was 12. The elm, hardy old man that he is, was the most resistant to the freeze and still green by the time the weather broke, but the other trees' leaves were all black and shriveled. Not the tiniest hint of green could be seen on the trees for at least 6 weeks. In fact, this whole area was looking "not right" for the time of year. We're no strangers to spring frosts here, but this - well... it was over the top, you might say. I've never seen anything like it in my life. Let a freakish weather event like that blacken the newborn leaves on half the trees, and people really start missing them. There was a kind of collective sense of disorientation and loss going around here in early Spring '07.

The pecans haven't recovered even yet. They seem to have been the most hurt by the freeze. Their leaves are growing like fur on the big main branches, if you know what I mean. Like maybe the growth of the smaller, new branches was stunted. I don't suppose they'll produce pecans this year. Any thoughts?

And will the oak produce acorns? Foraging critters might have a tough time this winter.

BTW, I haven't done any professional writing so far, as this is some sort of latent talent that I'm not sure of yet.

Thanks, everyone, for your kind replies.

Last edited:
I checked out the ASCA website and located a consulting arborist fairly near me. That'll work!

In the meantime, any further comments or suggestions from you all are most welcome.

Many thanks!

By the way, what does :notrolls2: mean?

In my area tractors can be prevented from running under the drip line of trees on a property. The county/city building depts. stamp it right on the plans. You need to see if there are any county regulations reguarding the protection of trees. Directional boring can be used to install underground utilties. There may be alternative routes that they can use. Check your deed for right of way and utility easements.

The pecans haven't recovered even yet. They seem to have been the most hurt by the freeze. Their leaves are growing like fur on the big main branches, if you know what I mean. Like maybe the growth of the smaller, new branches was stunted. I don't suppose they'll produce pecans this year. Any thoughts? .
Let them finish leafing out this year, and get them looked at in late summer. that is the best time to prune them. obvious dead wood can come off then, but if the inner bark is still moist I would wait another season before cutting them back hard. Sometimes it takes more than a year for new growth.

best of luck. if you want to post pics of the pecans we'd ove to see them.

Latest posts

Back