Truck Bed Side Rails

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Building Up Too High

I have noticed that several of our firewood haulers tend to build the side rails up too high. You usually don't need more than a foot because you will tend to overload the truck. This is especialy true when hauling about any green wood or even dry oak, locust, hickory, etc. -- the species with the highest heat value (BTU/Lb). My truck is light duty, but even a 1-ton pickup can easily be overloaded by green firewood.

Note than any side rails at all will generally result in loading and unloading difficulty from the side. You will have to get used to climbing up into the truck, especially to remove logs from the center of the bed. One of my friends tried to use tarps to pull the wood out, and that produced nothing except lots of ripped tarps.

I have found that a rail behind the cab window is unnecessary as long as you use the rear rail to protect the window while loading. Seldom does wood stacked above the panels slide forward after loading, and if it does, it won't slide hard enough to cause damage (unless you have a collision). Just don't follow anyone very closely when loaded.

When racked up high, it's always best to cross tie ropes over the load as shown in the Pic above. I keep two ropes handy, one on each side of the rack, tied at the front of the rails. If nothing else, the tied down load gives you piece of mind while driving.

My hauls are usually less than 25 miles one way loaded. My truck is loaded full, but it is all seasoned wood. I never haul green wood with my racks, that is what the gooseneck is for.

I'd say go high with the racks. It isn't that big of a deal to climb in and toss out. It takes 2 people at a not too stressing pace 30 minutes to load a full cord in my truck. It takes us 10 minutes to unload. We don't stack it in and we throw it in a pile when delivering.

I love racks! Who Doesn't? :msp_biggrin:

Racks and Green Wood

My truck is loaded full, but it is all seasoned wood. I never haul green wood with my racks, that is what the gooseneck is for...

... I love racks! Who Doesn't? :msp_biggrin:

+1. Well said. Some species of wood weigh nearly 40% more when green--mulberry and hackberry (for that matter about any berry wood) come to mind. It's also easy to overload when the wood it still in the round rather than split. The combination of green wood and wood in the round is a double whammy.

Well the truck search continues, so I am not ready for racks yet. Haha

The truck that i looked at didn't have any rust in the pictures but had rust in real life, which eh ok. But the drivers side rear brakes were dripping brake fluid and you could smell gas when you go near it. So passed on that one and the search continues. Hahah

damn, are you guys entering a firewood parade with all these fancy lumber racks :jester:

I can't very well post the pics of my scabbed together plywood and scrap stud racks

i agree about too high of rails... i put some monster racks on mine this winter and spread the bed...lol, now i have a tail gate that sets in the barn...
View attachment 189063
View attachment 189064

i only made them half racks but it still spread it out....:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Check the Springs Occasionally

To prevent an overload, I generally examine the leaf springs (and the tires) as I load up. Flat springs mean you are done and perhaps done for when you hit a good bump at 55 mph.

It's rather easy to make a heavy load of firewood really expensive.

yep on most that would work... my sd has overloads and once set down on them the only limit is what falls back off....:msp_w00t:

just another good reason to put the flat bed on...now that i am healing up, i will get something done finally...

I have this rail and headache rack combo on my tacoma. It doesn't add much height but I can't carry much in the Tacoma anyway.
IMG_1473.jpg
IMG_1468.jpg

I have a 3/4 ton 04 dodge ram. I put rough cut hemlock sides and a hook and chain in the back.(to keep it fom spreading under load) The height is even with the top of the cab. I routed the edges round, used 2x4 for stake pockets and 1x 12's for the rails. bolted the all together. I also added a pair of 5000lb aeon bulbs. They replace your bump stop and add extra capacity. I have yet to bottom out the springs, even with green hickory or sugar maple in rounds, or plit just enough to pick up. I figure carry as much as you can per trip, to maximize the cost of your fuel and time.

Why only half rails?

the bed is rusted out from underneath i had a b&w turn over ball gooseneck hitch installed and it held all the salt etc. up under the bed and rotted out the cross members for the floor..
so being aware of that i used half racks to the top of the cab and the bed spread so wide my tail gate doesn't fit anymore....
i have a steel flat bed to replace it but haven't had time to install it yet..meanwhile the steel bed is setting on pallets by the barn rusting.. lol its made of 3/16" thick diamond plate its heavy...
when i get it put on it will get a full set of racks, and a set of dually rims....

Great looking wood hauler!!!! Put some sides on it!!:blob2::blob2::msp_thumbsup::msp_thumbsup:

Is anyone using old military surplus rails? A lot of the old chevy 1028's and dodge 880's (military pickups) had side rail/troop seat combo's installed. I looked for a set for quite a while but never had any luck finding any close by, kind of heavy and bulky to ship cheaply. They are very well built. They can be used as normal bed rails or you could fold down the troop seat for passengers to ride on. When we go camping or driving around the woods the kids always want to ride in the back.

Back