Two Stihl 044 Magnum Saws- Double Bar Alaskan Mill- Cut How wide?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon Mackay

Reaction score
nakashima_table_butterfly.jpg

Hello there,

(New member here, looking to learn toward making an effective, affordable set-up for the getting started with milling some wide hardwood slabs.)

About chainsaw mills- I wonder about the capacity of this proposed set-up:

-Milling oak and maple slabs, about three days per month
-Granberg Alaskan MK-III mill
-Double end saw bar
-Two Stihl 044 Magnum power heads, both saws oiling chain
-Auxiliary chain oiler
-Sharpened Stihl brand ripping chain
-Wooden wedges supporting kerf during sawing
-Two attentive, patient operators

I wonder, what might be the reasonable width of cut when sawing the oak and maple?

...Yes, that question about moving the slabs, it get's me thinking.

I do have the use of some gear for getting started:

- F-150 with ball hitch/ gooseneck hitch
- 5 Foot X Ten Foot Flat Deck Utility Trailer (single axle)
- 3 Ton Farm Jack (for lifting/winching)
- 2 Ton Ratchet Come Along
- (2) Tow Chains
- (8) Steel Pipes (for rollers)
- (2) Good Heavy Duty Ratchet Straps
- (1) Peavey
- Heavy Rope (for hauling crab traps)
- Carpentry Tools
- Lumber, Pallets, Chocks, Hardware

Looking at using this roll on/ roll off set-up (courtesy of a co-worker who works at a local pulp mill)-

trailer%2520slab%2520diagram.jpg

The experience of peddling on a bicycle for two might be a useful comparison here.

5262512240_3ee2d7ba80_z.jpg

About double head chainsaws
- In this example it is assumed that two powerheads of equal power are being used.

I wonder, what of the suggestion that the double head chainsaw does not readily offer combined cutting power because the RPM's must be almost identical, otherwise the faster saw is doing the work and the slower saw is underutilized/ dragging?

The experience of peddling on a bicycle for two might be a useful comparison here.

About double head chainsaws
- In this example it is assumed that two powerheads of equal power are being used.

I wonder, what of the suggestion that the double head chainsaw does not readily offer combined cutting power because the RPM's must be almost identical, otherwise the faster saw is doing the work and the slower saw is underutilized/ dragging?

Nope, this is not the case. -This has been discussed ad nauseum and infinitum on this and other forums. Chainsaws of different capacity can even be used although it's a good idea that their mechanicals permit the powerbeads to be able to withstand the same max RPM. What happens is the chain acts like an extension to the crankshaft so the two saws just act like a twin cylinder motor. The RPMS MUST always be the same because they are hard linked by the chain. It's just like a multi cylinder engine, one cylinder may be generating more power that the other but they all contribute at one point of the cycle or other.

The one thing I'm wondering is why not just get a bigger saw. Do you already own 2 044's. If you don't already own them I'd advise against the two saw set up. There is enough to go wrong with one saw why add more variables. I thought long and hard about the two saw set up and decided against it.

Latest posts

Back