Ultrasonic Cleaner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomas72

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Harbor Freight had the 11.5x6x4 inch one on sale so I picked it up for $48.00 and it works great. I had an old carb that had a stopped up idle circuit sitting on the shelf. I did not want to pull welsh plugs so I stuck it in the ultrasonic cleaner and what a difference. It cleaned all the passages without removing a singe welsh plug. I cleaned a lawn mower carb as well and it made the entire carb look new. I am using Awesome as a cleaning solution in aid to the ultrasonic effect. If it were not for Lakeside I would not have thought about trying one.

I got one from Harbor Fright last year, I use it in the shop 6 days a week, at least an hour a day and the thing is still working perfect. I mix about 4-6 oz. of Purple Power cleaner from Wal-Mart, and usually leave the parts in for about a half hour.
It works miracles on generator, and snow blower carbs that have been varnished up.

Last edited:
I think I might get one.. multiple uses!

I mix about 4-6 oz. of Purple Power cleaner from Wal-Mart,

and usually leave the parts in for about a half hour.

It works miracles on generator, and snow blower carbs that have been varnished up.

Great info.

now... do you have it heated?

Thanks for that!

thanks BOTI...

I've read somewhere the heated liquid helps.... but I've never heard any one say it does not work when cold!

Purple Cleaner and water.... seems safe enough!

An ultrasonic cleaner tip:

Many of the 'el cheapo' US cleaners are really intended for jewelry and the like, using soapy water or other detergent base cleaners. To that end, some parts of these US cleaners don't tolerate strong solvent AT ALL (the HF unit's basket will melt COMPLETELY :( ). The thing is, it can be very handy to be able to use Gumout or other solvent when cleaning (especially) carb parts.

What to do?

Here's how you do it:

Get a small glass jar, like a baby food jar, and put your parts and strong solvent in it and close the lid tightly. Put it in the US cleaner and then add water to the mark and hit the 'on' button. The glass will transmit the US energy perfectly as if it weren't even there! This trick only works with a glass container.

Jimbo

Get a small glass jar, like a baby food jar, and put your parts and strong solvent in it and close the lid tightly. Put it in the US cleaner and then add water to the mark and hit the 'on' button. The glass will transmit the US energy perfectly as if it weren't even there! This trick only works with a glass container.

Jimbo

great tip!

rep sent

:clap:

Many of the 'el cheapo' US cleaners are really intended for jewelry and the like, using soapy water or other detergent base cleaners. To that end, some parts of these US cleaners don't tolerate strong solvent AT ALL (the HF unit's basket will melt COMPLETELY :( ). The thing is, it can be very handy to be able to use Gumout or other solvent when cleaning (especially) carb parts.

What to do?

Here's how you do it:

Jimbo

I do that all the time, I use a coffee pot.

Just like when you get a medical ultrasound, they use that jelly, which acts as a 'couplant', is the same thing the water is doing in this case, which, as Nanuk mentioned, is an excellent tip and rep worthy!

Old51AVE :greenchainsaw:

My last Harbor Frt. ultra sonic lasted almost 2 years. Just bought another and made sure to get the extended warranty. For commerical use, and as much as I use it, $70 for a years worth of use is pretty dang good. I have used some of the better units, and honestly would prefer them (alot more power) but hard to justify to expense.

Heated version was under $70. It runs, like Bloods, 5 days a week and an hour or two each day. I just use straight mineral spirits.

The heated option is great, kicks up to 180 or so. I've been very impressed at some of the carbs/parts I've been able to recover.

As for how long? I've let a few soak in the heated mineral spirits for an hour or more while blasting it for 3 minutes every now and then. With all the gaskets removed, not really much damage you could do by letting it soak longer.

That is an interesting setup. It should be posted on thereifixedit.com.

I have a question: I use a pretty dilute solution of Tide®. Works OK on saw carbs. Does any one know if I can use it for painted parts?

If you are talking laundry detergent, I can't imagine it would cause a problem. I've used it for car wash soap in the past.

Latest posts

Back