Ultrasonic Cleaner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess what I am concerned about is if there is a bit of peeling paint on, say, a Stihl bar cover, and the bubbles might get under there and break more paint loose. I have one that is all boogered up that I might try and see what it does. Will report back.

Tide....

I would tend to agree, though Palmolive may be OK.

I worked at a Texaco station here in Richmond Ky in my high school days,,and we always washed cars,,that is all we ever used,,and never harmed a finish back then,,but now days with clear coats............

Liquid vs granular

buddy don't ever wash the car with laundry soap! you will destroy the finish!

I think granular could cause an issue, but liquid should be safe.

is there something about the liquid tide that's an issue?
I've used it lots for washing my '91 toyota truck, and saw parts in the sink..... never noticed a problem.

I use..*people flame me if I'm wrong using this*

Yours was a sander adaptation also?

OK for general parts but fine parts not so good???

I love using Dawn...It strips the oil and varnish off and dont harm any paint....I always had great luck using it .....

Yours was a sander adaptation also?

OK for general parts but fine parts not so good???

Yes that's what I found, I never tried carbs though. The thing is its not even close to a Ultrasonic cleaner. Do you know how an Ultrasonic cleaner works? Now compare that to a vibrating sander strapped to a bucket.

Yes that's what I found, I never tried carbs though. The thing is its not even close to a Ultrasonic cleaner. Do you know how an Ultrasonic cleaner works? Now compare that to a vibrating sander strapped to a bucket.

SOUND waves,,,put your carb in a glass mason jar with cleaner and close the lid tight...give it to the kid next door with that anoying little car with the big speakers that shakes the houses as he drives by and send him out for a pizza...
carb cleaned !!

SOUND waves,,,put your carb in a glass mason jar with cleaner and close the lid tight...give it to the kid next door with that anoying little car with the big speakers that shakes the houses as he drives by and send him out for a pizza...
carb cleaned !!

LMAO!

Most speed shops have different USC's. From the el cheapos to the $750 dollar versions. We use the USC's to clean carb parts, and of course, sprint car motors injector nozzles. We use mineral sprits heated for about ten minutes, blast em with 120 psi air, good to go.

:hmm3grin2orange:

:yourock:

Ultrasonic energy is very powerful wierd stuff. At the microscopic level, the 'crests' of these waves cause minuscule amounts of water to flash instantly into water vapor. Then this is immediately followed by a 'trough' which causes those tiny vapor bubbles to instantly collapse back into liquid again. This collapsing is just like a tiny explosion.

It seems unbelievable that this could transmit much energy, but it does. Remember all the trouble Ford had a few years back with the 7.3 diesel engines? It turn out the cause was that the engine was making ultrasonic energy from diesel knock under certain conditions. This energy in the coolant was boring holes in the cylinder block right through the iron cylinder liners! Powerful wierd stuff!

Jimbo

Ultrasonic energy is very powerful wierd stuff. At the microscopic level, the 'crests' of these waves cause minuscule amounts of water to flash instantly into water vapor. Then this is immediately followed by a 'trough' which causes those tiny vapor bubbles to instantly collapse back into liquid again. This collapsing is just like a tiny explosion.

It seems unbelievable that this could transmit much energy, but it does. Remember all the trouble Ford had a few years back with the 7.3 diesel engines? It turn out the cause was that the engine was making ultrasonic energy from diesel knock under certain conditions. This energy in the coolant was boring holes in the cylinder block right through the iron cylinder liners! Powerful wierd stuff!

Jimbo

Totally bizarre! I try to stay at least three feet away from mine when it is running. Don't want little explosions in my coolant............:dizzy:

I have to get one! For those of you that have used them, what do you recommend. Naturally I would like to stay as cheap as possible. I do want a heated one though.

I have to get one! For those of you that have used them, what do you recommend. Naturally I would like to stay as cheap as possible. I do want a heated one though.

I got mine on ebay. big enough you could do case halve's if you wish. Its heated, but lately I've not used the heating function, it actually heats quite well, just from the sonic action.

This is pretty similar to mine. same size.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-6-5-LITER-ULTRASONIC-CLEANER-COMMERCIAL-SERIES_W0QQitemZ120526108150QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0fea75f6

As much as I dislike Harbor Freight crap, the ultra sonic cleaner I've picked up from them (twice) is a hell of a deal.

$70 plus $11 for one year replacement insurance. Used in commerical application 5 days a week x 1 plus hour a day x 52 weeks...far more than most will see in a lifetime.

Last one lasted around 2 years.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200365419_200365419

Is the unit I'd prefer, but hard to justify the price, for now.

Edit to add, the unit Parris posted above is a far better unit.

Last edited:
speaking of ultra sonic cleaners

Here's a carb I removed off a BR420 blower that has been sitting for a very long time. Look closely at the fuel inlet screen. Its packed with what looks like white gooey slime. The unit would not even start, not getting any fuel at all.

attachment.php

Here is the same carb after 30 minutes in the sonic cleaner. Slime all gone.

attachment.php

Anyone got any idea what that white looking slime is? I'll give you a hint, people charge with it everyday...

Here's a carb I removed off a BR420 blower that has been sitting for a very long time. Look closely at the fuel inlet screen. Its packed with what looks like white gooey slime. The unit would not even start, not getting any fuel at all.

attachment.php

Here is the same carb after 30 minutes in the sonic cleaner. Slime all gone.

attachment.php

Try using cleaner in that thing .......That carb is stihl dirty .....:cheers::cheers:

Try using cleaner in that thing .......That carb is stihl dirty .....:cheers::cheers:

True but the disolved plastic from some old gas can is gone. That carb is a easy fix. I tossed it back in the cleaner just to get it pretty, the problem with it is already resolved. Those cleaners work good.....

I've been using mine for 4 years and with great results :cheers::cheers:

I haven't put a bunch through it yet but so far I'm batting a 1000. Any other time I would had tossed a new carb on the blower but now that I can really clean the things they are worth trying to repair...

Latest posts

Back