Ultrasonic Cleaner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope. Comes in a small black bottle, called De-Carbonizer. It works but man it stinks..........

Yes it does. If you want to use Ultra to clean out a saw, use it as a mix. Combination of heat and Ultra will make those internals shine.

I use the Ultra Sonic Cleaner for carbs, hence the use of mineral spirits. If I have a piston in hand, it goes into the parts washer and gets a scrubbing with a brass brush. Mufflers, torch.

I've used the Stihl De-carbonizer and it works. But if the unit runs, just run a tank or two of Ultra mixed and then clean the exhaust screen...you'll be amazed a the black gunk that come rolling out.

I know!

I know! I will just mix up some Ultra mix at, say, 25:1, and dump that in the ultrasound cleaner, and set it at 175˚ F. Whattaya think of that one? I bet the fire marshal will love that...............:greenchainsaw:

Actually it may work pretty well. Maybe dump a couple bottles of ultra oil into a can of coleman fuel and keep it for the US cleaner. To be used outside only....

Last edited:
I bought an Omegasonics ultrasonic unit 2 years ago and have only nice things to say about the unit and its results. A friend who is a clockmaker has 7 of these cleaners with progressively cleaner solvent so parts are cleaned in one, then another, etc until they are in virtually pure solvent. This level of cleaning is nescessary for watches & clocks, but not for carburetors. Don has been using his Omegasonics units daily for 7-8 years and has had only 1 failure- and the company replaced that unit even though it was out of warranty. That's what made me choose this brand. These aren't cheapies-they're about as high end as they come. I started off using Simple Green diluted about 25:1 and liked how shiny the carbs came ot, but the really nasty accumulated varnish remained in many areas. I then switched to an ammonia based solution that clockmakers and jewelers use. I run my cleaner at 135 degrees F. All the ammonia solution did was make my eyes water- it 5was awful to be around. So much for that idea. The ammonia cleaner was quickly tossed. I then tried Gunk- the stuff that comes in the gallon can with the little wire basket. I have had the best success with this solution. Here in DC, we've had 3 huge snowstorms and customers are dragging snowblowers out of their sheds that have had gas left in them since Reagan was in office. Needless to say, these carburetors look like they're full of green jello. 20-30 minutes soaking, then 12 minutes with the sound on makes them run like new. I do not use this Gunk solution on carburetors with check valves- my friends at Stihl say this can ruin the valves. I probably overhaul 15-20 carburetors per week and have yet to replace one since I bought the ultrasonic cleaner. Money well spent. I overhaul about 3 or 4 saw carburetors each week and use the Gunk solution sparingly- just short dunks hoping I don't damage a check valve. So far, so good. One thing you have to be careful about is leaving carbs soaking for more than an hour- the steel parts turn grey. This can be prevented by separating the steel and aluminum parts, but this is a cosmetic issue, it doesn't affect the carb's performance. I have yet to find a cleaning solution that works well for all carbs with all types of cleaning needs, but I'm happy with what I've discovered thus far.

I bought an Omegasonics ultrasonic unit 2 years ago and have only nice things to say about the unit and its results. A friend who is a clockmaker has 7 of these cleaners with progressively cleaner solvent so parts are cleaned in one, then another, etc until they are in virtually pure solvent. This level of cleaning is nescessary for watches & clocks, but not for carburetors. Don has been using his Omegasonics units daily for 7-8 years and has had only 1 failure- and the company replaced that unit even though it was out of warranty. That's what made me choose this brand. These aren't cheapies-they're about as high end as they come. I started off using Simple Green diluted about 25:1 and liked how shiny the carbs came ot, but the really nasty accumulated varnish remained in many areas. I then switched to an ammonia based solution that clockmakers and jewelers use. I run my cleaner at 135 degrees F. All the ammonia solution did was make my eyes water- it 5was awful to be around. So much for that idea. The ammonia cleaner was quickly tossed. I then tried Gunk- the stuff that comes in the gallon can with the little wire basket. I have had the best success with this solution. Here in DC, we've had 3 huge snowstorms and customers are dragging snowblowers out of their sheds that have had gas left in them since Reagan was in office. Needless to say, these carburetors look like they're full of green jello. 20-30 minutes soaking, then 12 minutes with the sound on makes them run like new. I do not use this Gunk solution on carburetors with check valves- my friends at Stihl say this can ruin the valves. I probably overhaul 15-20 carburetors per week and have yet to replace one since I bought the ultrasonic cleaner. Money well spent. I overhaul about 3 or 4 saw carburetors each week and use the Gunk solution sparingly- just short dunks hoping I don't damage a check valve. So far, so good. One thing you have to be careful about is leaving carbs soaking for more than an hour- the steel parts turn grey. This can be prevented by separating the steel and aluminum parts, but this is a cosmetic issue, it doesn't affect the carb's performance. I have yet to find a cleaning solution that works well for all carbs with all types of cleaning needs, but I'm happy with what I've discovered thus far.

Hey didn't I see you last week at the meeting, yeah I did. Pretty good meeting huh. I was tickled they used some pics I sent them. Are you coming to the sales meeting in Manassass this coming Monday???

Hey Tommy- Kevin & Don gave you some well-deserved credit at the Stihl school. Glad to see you replaced your Kodak Brownie box camera with a digital one- we were beginning to wonder about you. Have you gotten sick of the snow yet, we've gotten another 14" today to leave us with about 40" on the ground. I didn't go to the marketing meeting because I'm pecker-deep in broken snowblowers right now.
7Oaks- I'm a moblie service tech based in Vienna- I work from my house. I can be reached by email: [email protected], or on the cell at 703-402-4516. Hope to talk/see all y'all soon.

Hey Tommy- Kevin & Don gave you some well-deserved credit at the Stihl school. Glad to see you replaced your Kodak Brownie box camera with a digital one- we were beginning to wonder about you. Have you gotten sick of the snow yet, we've gotten another 14" today to leave us with about 40" on the ground. I didn't go to the marketing meeting because I'm pecker-deep in broken snowblowers right now.
7Oaks- I'm a moblie service tech based in Vienna- I work from my house. I can be reached by email: [email protected], or on the cell at 703-402-4516. Hope to talk/see all y'all soon.

I was kinda surprised when Kevin told me your gonna be the star of the show today. I had no idea what he was talking about. I send those guys all sorts of photo's of things I see at work. I'm glad they are using them in the schools.

The driveway is drifted in completely here. They called me this morning and said stay home. In the morning I will call them and say I'm staying home. Its blows back in as fast as you shovel it out, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Spring can't come fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was kinda surprised when Kevin told me your gonna be the star of the show today. I had no idea what he was talking about. I send those guys all sorts of photo's of things I see at work. I'm glad they are using them in the schools.

The driveway is drifted in completely here. They called me this morning and said stay home. In the morning I will call them and say I'm staying home. Its blows back in as fast as you shovel it out, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Spring can't come fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you better off staying home, don't need no snow in the doo and you're :censored:... i mean.... 2 wheel drive truck aint made for no snow. :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

you better off staying home, don't need no snow in the doo and you're :censored:... i mean.... 2 wheel drive truck aint made for no snow. :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

You got that right. The truck hasn't moved. My car is front wheel drive, it does pretty good but its not going through 4 foot drifts. We're getting 40-50mph winds as I type this. Snow is blowing everywhere. Home is where I shall be tomorrow. Hell if I get bored I'll grab the pencil grinder and butcher me a chainsaw.......

Yep the ultrasonic works wonders on carbs. I rebuilt one once without using it and grrrrrrr, ran like crap!! Tossed it in the ultrasonic and what do ya know, runs good now!! I still pull welch plugs though.

You got that right. The truck hasn't moved. My car is front wheel drive, it does pretty good but its not going through 4 foot drifts. We're getting 40-50mph winds as I type this. Snow is blowing everywhere. Home is where I shall be tomorrow. Hell if I get bored I'll grab the pencil grinder and butcher me a chainsaw.......

Wish it were doing that here, we got 1" today, plow didn't get much use....

I bought an Omegasonics ultrasonic unit 2 years ago and have only nice things to say about the unit and its results.

Omegasonics is the company that was recommended to us to buy for ultrasonic. I want to know why! I asked this before but nobody responded. The omegasonics cheapest unit is about a grand for a table top! If guys like Paul and a bunch of others are using POS harbor freight 75 dollar units every day for 2 years at a time, what is the justification of buying an omegasonics? Is it just built better or does it perform better too? If only just built better then it doesn't seem to be of much value if you can get a POS unit to run for 2 years hard labor. Their floor models are upwards of 10+ grand :jawdrop:

Omegasonics is the company that was recommended to us to buy for ultrasonic. I want to know why! I asked this before but nobody responded. The omegasonics cheapest unit is about a grand for a table top! If guys like Paul and a bunch of others are using POS harbor freight 75 dollar units every day for 2 years at a time, what is the justification of buying an omegasonics? Is it just built better or does it perform better too? If only just built better then it doesn't seem to be of much value if you can get a POS unit to run for 2 years hard labor. Their floor models are upwards of 10+ grand :jawdrop:

The better units have alot more power. Honestly, if the shop was buying it or I was using the unit at home (alot) I'd spend the money. But for me to buy the unit, to have the dog snot worked out of it at the shop, naw...

Seeing is believing

Here's a pic I just took of the water in the sonic cleaner after doing a few carbs in it. Nasty stuff coming out of those carbs..

attachment.php

For what its worth if your into rebuilding carbs these ultra sonic cleaners are worth having...

I have rebuilt a lot of oldie carbs in the past 5 years but rarely find a carb with gunk or oil residues to the point it needs to be cleaned in a US cleaner.

Some carb cleaning spray mostly fits the bill.

However, bone hard diaphragms are very common.

Looking at Thall's UC bath, leads me to conclude that the quality of fuel in the US must be something else than over here, and not very clean. No wonder we don't need to mod our saws to get some work done...:)

I got where I do not buy any carb cleaner any more. I just throw all of the bits and pieces in the ultra sonic cleaners and work on something else. I cleaned about a dozen carbs so far. I am using an Awesome and water solution still with good results.

Here's a pic I just took of the water in the sonic cleaner after doing a few carbs in it. Nasty stuff coming out of those carbs..

attachment.php

For what its worth if your into rebuilding carbs these ultra sonic cleaners are worth having...

you just use straight water correct?

I have rebuilt a lot of oldie carbs in the past 5 years but rarely find a carb with gunk or oil residues to the point it needs to be cleaned in a US cleaner.

Some carb cleaning spray mostly fits the bill.

However, bone hard diaphragms are very common.

Looking at Thall's UC bath, leads me to conclude that the quality of fuel in the US must be something else than over here, and not very clean. No wonder we don't need to mod our saws to get some work done...:)

You'd be surprized whats in those carbs you rebuilt Belgian. My brother stopped by today with his carb off his snowthrower. He's been cleaning it for days by soaking, spray carb cleaner and lord knows what else. The machine still wouldn't run right. He brought it by today for a dunk in carb bath. We took it apart and it looked spotless. After cooking and buzzing in the cleaner for 30 minutes you would not believe the garbage that floated to the top. He couldn't beleive it. That thing looks spotless but it had old foul fuel built up in it somewhere. The whole shop started smelling like old fuel. He left a happy camper but whether it cures his problem I won't know untill tomorrow.

Also you low life, good for nothing scroundrel you, how dare you send me of all things a Husqvarna calendar. The nerve of you, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Ole Hoss says here, Belgian sent you something and laff his butt off. Shames on ya. Was a nice calendar I must admit. I got it hanging in the back corner of the back room behind a bunch of Stihl boxes down near the floor,LOLOLOL

Messing with ya, nice calendar,:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Latest posts

Back