Ultrasonic Cleaner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She's purring like a kitten again. Another plus for the cleaner.....

Tom,

Try running some mineral spirits in that unit. Since switching over, I've been very pleased. Other than 020/200 carbs, I have't had a failure in sometime now.

Tom,

Try running some mineral spirits in that unit. Since switching over, I've been very pleased. Other than 020/200 carbs, I have't had a failure in sometime now.

Will do. Right now I just got water in it. Its cooking at 180 degrees. So far so good but I have been wanting to add some kind of safe cleaner in it. I'll give your idea a shot....

Is there a risk associated with heating up the mineral spirits and cavitating it?

As in a risk of one's shop and environs going "BOOM!"?

I'm sure there is a risk, no clue what the flash point of mineral spirits is, but so far, haven't found it :)

do USC mist out like US humidifiers?

could you just plug the outlet, drop the carb in the tank and turn on the humidifier?

Stinky mist

I filled it with mineral spirits this morning before I left for work, set it at 105˚ and twenty minutes with a muffler in it. I got home to a smelly house. Apparently the heater stays on until the unit is manually shut off. Some of it did cook off just a bit. Mineral spirits did little for the carbon that was remaining, instead it may have cooked it on more. I like Tide® better at this point.

I may try soaking the muff in fresh motor oil, as suggested by Scottr. The detergent in motor oil is supposed to dissolve carbon deposits. Worth a try, definitely.

I filled it with mineral spirits this morning before I left for work, set it at 105˚ and twenty minutes with a muffler in it. I got home to a smelly house. Apparently the heater stays on until the unit is manually shut off. Some of it did cook off just a bit. Mineral spirits did little for the carbon that was remaining, instead it may have cooked it on more. I like Tide® better at this point.

I may try soaking the muff in fresh motor oil, as suggested by Scottr. The detergent in motor oil is supposed to dissolve carbon deposits. Worth a try, definitely.

Could try Seafoam too. It's supposed to clean off carbon deposits in engines. Seems to get good reviews.

I think carbon deposits are best removed with heat (torch).
I heat my motorcycle pipe to cherry red with mapp gas and the carbon pretty much falls or brushes off after that.

Last edited:
ATF Dextron III?

red atf should work also.. lots of cleaning ability in that stuff, one of the ingredients in MilSpec rifle cleaner.

Could try Seafoam too. It's supposed to clean off carbon deposits in engines. Seems to get good reviews.

I have not tried Seafoam but did try Kroil - which is a very similar product to SeaFoam and is supposed to be able to clean up carbon and unstick rings in a running engine. I tried cleaning the carbon from a muffler screen and it didn't do a thing. I let it soak for weeks and ran the Ultrasonic cleaner a long time, and the carbon was just as thick and hard as when I began. Then I tried some spray on oven cleaner.....nothing. Finally I used the tried and true method of a propane torch and it worked fine.

I use Purple Power or Super Clean in my Ultra Sonic and it works fine. I tried some acetone once (outdoors) and it just started to dissolve the plastic cover.

What would that do to a piston or the exhaust port of a cylinder?

I usually just wire brush the carbon off the tops of pistons and exhaust ports. A blast cabinet can be used with crushed Walnut Shells if you don't want to "violate" the aluminum surface......Glass beads will also work but they do alter the aluminum and leave a porous surface behind.

What would that do to a piston or the exhaust port of a cylinder?
Sorry, I was suggesting it for the muffler. It may be okay for the P/C, but I wouldn't try it.
I should have quoted the post I was referring to:
I may try soaking the muff in fresh motor oil, as suggested by Scottr. The detergent in motor oil is supposed to dissolve carbon deposits.

Last edited:

hey teach,

lakeside used to preach about the carbon removing abilities of stihl hp ultra, as it was designed to keep the 4-mix trimmers from carboning up the valves.

i'd dump some of that on carbon and let it stand a day or two......
can't hurt.

hey teach,

lakeside used to preach about the carbon removing abilities of stihl hp ultra, as it was designed to keep the 4-mix trimmers from carboning up the valves.

i'd dump some of that on carbon and let it stand a day or two......
can't hurt.

They have a de-carbonizer in a bottle. Pull the spark plug, raise the piston, fill the top of the cylinder with it and let it set over nite. In the morning dump it out and fire up the engine. You will see the disolved carbon being blown out the muffler. Stuff works pretty good but smells awful, yuk!!

Hmm, good idea. I wonder if you could cut it with anything? Since a little can wont fill up the tank?

at $10 a can id hope you could.

They have a de-carbonizer in a bottle. Pull the spark plug, raise the piston, fill the top of the cylinder with it and let it set over nite. In the morning dump it out and fire up the engine. You will see the disolved carbon being blown out the muffler. Stuff works pretty good but smells awful, yuk!!

whats it called? seafoam?

Latest posts

Back