Vermeer retrofit to the old 1/2 inch teeth

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibbuckshot

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Greeting folks,
I have been tasked with helping a friend who recently bought a Vermeer SC 252 grinder. I use to have grinders
years ago and now here I am again back in the dirt. The first fix was to replace the drive chain and drive motor
sprocket. Then on to the teeth. I had never used these (yellow jacket, I think) teeth. The best thing I can say
about them is to describe them as a major pain in the ass. They have a double carbide pad on each studded
cutter tooth so they can be turned 180. I tried to sharpen them but the end result was not what I expected. I
called Leonardi where I use to buy my parts back about 20 years ago. After giving the young lady my name she said " well, It's been a while since you last ordered." I would have bet money my name would have been deleted years ago. Anyway I ordered the old style pockets and economy teeth I used years ago. I always sharpened my own teeth and
it was always easy sharpening them right on the machine. The only thing I may change is updating to the newer
type diamond wheels used today. Which brings me to the question. Can any of you folks direct me to what kind
of trick diamond wheels you use and where you buy them ? I am looking for sharpening wheels that would go on my 41/2 inch angle grinder? Thank you for your help.
Have fun,
buckshot

You can get that size diamond wheel from Keith at Alpine Machine in Olympia WA. Expensive, about $135, but last a few years in my experience.

Stumper63

Stumper63,
Thank you for you help. I will be looking into getting one. If they are $135.00 and last for a few years that seems to be much less then what I would
be spending on green wheels in that period of time.
Have fun,
buckshot

Back