ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Video of a cheap crane to load those heavy rounds

Discussion in 'Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment' started by genesis5521, Jan 14, 2012.

1. genesis5521

genesis5521 ArboristSite Operative

This is pretty slick.

[video=youtube;01L8IXHMtls]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01L8IXHMtls[/video]

Don <><

diggers_dad likes this.
  2. Constrictor

Constrictor ArboristSite Operative

Wow thats slow. I think ill just stay with using my two hands. Much quicker.

3. Alan Smith

Alan Smith ArboristSite Operative

when you get old and slow you will like that thing . Will have to send pic of mine.

4. Gavman

Gavman ArboristSite Operative

Consider getting an electric atv winch and you will really use it more, nice job on the mounting :)

5. Streblerm

Streblerm Addicted to ArboristSite

I've been considering one of those. I was thinking it might be just the ticket for the big rounds that I end up quartering on site because I can't lift them into the truck. I think a pair of log tongs would be the hot setup, although I see the cheaper ones arent designed for "overhead lifting". I wonder if that means no lifting, or just keep your head out from underneath when you are lifting? It looks like the angle of the teeth is different, and probably the liability insurance.

Did you consider the other crain HF has? the one with the hydraulic lift and the "boat winch" lift? Seems like that one works fine though.

6. gulity1

gulity1 ArboristSite Guru

Very cool and well done. I have wanted to see someone setup somethnig like that to see how well it works, looks good. A word of caution on cheap bottle jacks like that dont try to get the last extra pump when its at the top the seals blow out on them real easy keep that in mind and I am sure it will serve your needs well, again well done :rock:

7. mga

mga wandering

wesstern NY, the land of taxes and strict laws
    could a small hydraulic cylinder be mounted on that to use to lift instead of pumping by hand?

that would be nice to mount on a log splitter.

8. Alan Smith

Alan Smith ArboristSite Operative

Yes

Sagetown likes this.
  9. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Addicted to ArboristSite

Good job but watch out you don't over load it, the hitch set up seems kind of "bouncy" while jacking. I'm not sure what the side load capabilities of a receiver like that are.
    I have one in the bed of my pickup, it's super heavy duty and someday I would like to add hydraulics to it. Now I use a jack and a 3k electric winch from TSC.

10. zogger

zogger Tree Freak

Reverse dump truck loader

I've seen a lot of variations on truck cranes and grapples now, and I have seen like tommy lifts. But I haven't seen a loader like the normal hydraulic loader on splitters. Something with an angle to it, it lowers/hinges backwards to the ground, roll your big rounds into it, then it hefts it up and rolls it into the bed. Something to take the place of a tailgate, plus holds the wood in and locks up for travel.

Hydraulic for speed, or just a hand or cheap electric winch to make it cheaper and easier to build.

11. Mntn Man

Mntn Man ArboristSite Guru

I bought one of these, well the taller one, this weekend. I also sprung for an atv winch to put on it. I am also going to mount it on tubing so I can put it on my trailer or splitter. Man, that jack is slow. I will have the atv winch so probably won't be much jacking. I'll have to figure out how to power the winch, but I have some ideas.

12. unclemoustache

unclemoustache My 'stache is bigger than yours.

I've got a low trailer with a drop down tailgate - rolling them right up works pretty well for this over-40 geezer.

13. diggers_dad

diggers_dad Sawchologist

Don,

That is a great, inexpensive set up just the way I like it: simple, easy to work, well-planned and looks great. Thanks for sharing. Sending rep your way!

dd

14. howellhandmade

howellhandmade Addicted to ArboristSite

I was thinking the same thing -- by the time the too-big-to-lift log is moved into position, moved to rig the strap, hooked up and hoisted, I'd have it whacked into smaller bits and loaded by hand. An electric winch might change things, as would a situation where I didn't want firewood, just wanted to move it and so had no future use for smaller pieces.

15. 4seasons

4seasons ArboristSite Guru

While I can see something like this having a use I would have to agree that it is much to slow for firewood gathering. When the day comes that I can't toss a log that size in the bed of my truck I will either bust it with a maul or noodle it with the saw to lighten it up. Oh wait I already do that:msp_tongue:

16. Mntn Man

I agree that this one is slow, however when I get mine going with the electric winch, it will be faster. Two years ago I could lift a round big enough to tip the splitter over. Not any more.:bang: Sometimes when wood is green, even my Super Splitter Fiskars just bounces off. I like to split in the field before I get home and hate using my hydro in vertical position. It isn't something that I would use very often, but when I need it, I'll have it.:rock:

17. Mntn Man

This load, I had a buddy to help me load this green honey locust on the trailer after rolling it to it. If I was alone, I probably would have rolled them up a ramp. After this picture, I split the bigger rounds into 1/4s or 1/2s and then ran them through the hydro. Some that split easy got split all the way on the trailer.

[​IMG]

Yes, this pic is on another thread.

18. mtfallsmikey

mtfallsmikey Addicted to ArboristSite

my homebrew splitter is set up on aa small flatbed trailer, lift would work well w/that, boom lg. might be an issue. Also, I wonder if there are any electric lift cylinders that can be mounted on that?

19. Jakers

Jakers Owner - Arbor Jake's Tree Service, LLC

Northern Tool makes a linear actuator that would work. its only rated to 1350lbs tho

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200333245_200333245?issearch=125012

or try the 12 volt pump set up with a hyd cylinder
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200329760_200329760?issearch=1071

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  20. mtfallsmikey

mtfallsmikey Addicted to ArboristSite

Well, the electric cylinder had a couple of bad reviews, but looks like it could be promising. Some of my hot rodding buds use electric cylinders like that. If I mounted that on my splitter, all I would need is another valve/piping/hoses to make it work.