walkerized 372

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevetheboatguy

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Anyone have any first hand experience with a walkers saw shop 372xp not a xt?

The saw sound's great, but the muffler mod looks sloppy at best. But looks don't cut wood. So not super concerned about it.
. 20160413_110402.jpg

The exhaust port looks much more professional.
20160413_105452.jpg

This saw is new to me and I am just curious if there is anything I should check out before using it. Is the muffler opened up to much? I haven't modded one quite like that. I may have to look for a stocker to swap out and try side by side.

Steven

There are plenty of cheap "stock stylye" AM mufflers out there. I think it look s just fine to me. if you dont like the gold brazed look you can always spray it with high heat paint and bake it on. From my recollection Walker is a name that has been in the porting game for a while but not familiar to this online forum. Others might know more.

Check AV, fuel lines and plug... put in synthetic fuel mix and run it.

Since it's ported you'll want to make sure the carb tuning is right for your elevation and that it cleans out "in the cut" and is getting enough mix to stay cool.

Yes I just bought a saw the other day.
I have known Donny since 1980, grade 8 and delt with them when I started in '89.
That muffler looks like someone else's work I know. They use the 266 outlets on the three series. They have been working close with workers Comp of BC since the early '90 and I am not sure they would make that style even at the request of a customer. Perhaps they would for a non professional application. They use to use a bigger Dia pipe in the early days on the 2 series.
That looks like the work of someone else I know on the mainland in regards to the muffler. He has Walker saws go through his hands on deals all the time. He could have done the muffler. That is the cheapest & easiest way to do a 3 outlet muffler with out screens.
I have never had Walker's muffler paint come of either.

It is not a signature Walkerized muffler from the past or present. One thing those boys are and that's consistant.

I feel like one of Rick's experts from Pawn Stars...lol
" let me just call a friend"...lol Rick's got a lot of friends,good show

The other outlet's they had used on mid saws from around ought 7 was the 3120 outlet and they would take out every other louvre making it a two port with no power Los on the dyno.

Good info on the muffler. I don't know who did it for sure. Like I said the saw is new to me. I bought it used so who knows what hands have been in it beforehand. But everything else seems good to go.

Steven

Definitely run that muffler. It's not going to win any beauty awards but the performance my give you another HP over stock. The original mufler got swapped out for what ever reason.
Many people here in BC may refer to any done up saw as 'Walkerized' as its a name that's been around for almost a lifetime.
World competition winner from days of the past. Someone that isn't on the internet down there could be referring to any worked saw as 'Walkerized' ???IDK

Anything is possible. But it has a slightly worn walkers sticker on the cover, and a walkers disclaimer sticker on the side.
I'm definitely not complaining about anything. I was just curious what to watch for. Should be a good runner.
Find out for sure this this weekend. :rock:

Steven

Oh OK then. It looks pretty clean in the exhaust port. It my not have that much time on the top end? I'f you play your cards right you can eventually swap the top end on to a new/newer XT bottom end. Just use new rings

I had a 371 done by them with the dual port muffler. It ran ok but wasnt the strongest I've ever ran... Also thought the grinding was a little rough and not square but it ran.

Can't say I would buy another saw for the porting work.

there 372's aren't bad but they get smoked by a simonized 372. it all depends who does the work too. Don is the best one in there. sadly, he doesn't work there anymore :( at least for now. that is a walkers muffler but a rare one. i've seen them do that for firewood guys on the 3 series but it was a while back. they only do the 266 deflector ports on the 3 series now.

Shane, Walkers sucked, just like every other saw builder, they told you lies and fed you candy. Even a monkey can mod a saw. If Walkers was any damn good he'd still be here, but he lost it between Dozer Dan and Klickitatsackit. Screw all those saw builders who have never cut a stick of wood. They are only in it for the green like Brad and Randy.

there 372's aren't bad but they get smoked by a simonized 372. it all depends who does the work too. Don is the best one in there. sadly, he doesn't work there anymore :( at least for now. that is a walkers muffler but a rare one. i've seen them do that for firewood guys on the 3 series but it was a while back. they only do the 266 deflector ports on the 3 series now.
You think Donny was better than Don senior? They have built the fastest saws I have ever ran by far. When Don Senior was at the wheel; in '95, back in my tree spacing/thinning days, they build me a 266/272 top and that thing was insanely fast. Unbelievable! They definitely went all out on that one. We set it up with a new 16" narrow Windsor bar. On my 266 50mm & my 262 Walkerized I would always run full house and $hit hook it to the max and drop the rakers 5 times. Big mistake! That thing was sucking me im and spitting me out. At that time I had a big native (BFI) working for me by the name of Roy. It was a small job for Malispina college on the back side of Nanaimo,A cake walk in comperission to the Westside of the Island. Just as I decided I was going to get my 262, Roy was crossing the bottom of my strip with his little 026..lol and I yelled to him " Hey Roy!...you can use my new saw if you like".
Of course he took me up on it and the big man came back safe and managed to shorten the teeth for me.
Donny and the ol' man were asking me in a nonchalant way, did I happen to try the saw. I told them the story and they laughed hard. Donny said we didn't want to say much when we sold it to you, we were waiting to see what you were going to say. The range on that thing was unbelievable, I took it to "scream" once
Never to venture there again.
I believe they built that one together.
Now a days they are just guaranteed. The orders still come in and the saws go out and stay out. I still like the way they build the 372; responsive & fast. Fast on the limbs and still enough in the softwoods.
What you get here you lose there and what you lose there you get here. I will always take a saw that has chain speed & response and is Smooth coming on and off the trigger than one that has torque but fails in other areas for me when it comes to softwood Falling.
I haven't had them port anything since 2008. Tried lots of their 390 though.

My opinion on builders is one thing. Any builder who strives for the fastest cut time cookie cutting has already proven what he's about. Sure they don't cut wood so it's their only way of testing but a saw that cuts the fastest cookie almost never equals the ultimate work saw. So a builder focusing on that and nothing else already proves he's about racing not working. I have ran a few 385/390's ported by guys down south, I own one done by Simon now and have owned many done by walkers including a 390 I have now. The most usable 385/390's IMO are the ones done by walkers. I've owned walkers 372's, Simon 372's and even a mastermind 372 with a meteor top end. The Simonized saw has been the strongest and the most usable 372 I've ever ran. Can't say that for his 390 though lol. I mean it runs better then stock for sure but it won't run with a walkerized 390. The walkerized saws happily tune out to 14.2k and live a healthy life at that tune. The one from Simon sounds like she's maxed out at 13.6k and even there it sounds scary lean. Both very usable saws though. Out of my learning in porting my thing is a low intake. It can absolutely ruin a saw and can be heard just listening to a saw idle. If it looses it's pop sound at idle and idles crazy smooth with little movement of the saw the intake is usually to low and they suffer severely in torque but scream with a short bar. No use to me. Ran a few from down south like that. I'm quite liking the saws I build so no point in paying someone to do them. I have a 372XT Mike lee ported and it is a hot little saw too. Feels as stout as a ported 390 with a 36" bar

Shane, Walkers sucked, just like every other saw builder, they told you lies and fed you candy. Even a monkey can mod a saw. If Walkers was any damn good he'd still be here, but he lost it between Dozer Dan and Klickitatsackit. Screw all those saw builders who have never cut a stick of wood. They are only in it for the green like Brad and Randy.
Yes Fallers rule so don't drool
We are f*ckin' bush Royalty
We make love we break love

My opinion on builders is one thing. Any builder who strives for the fastest cut time cookie cutting has already proven what he's about. Sure they don't cut wood so it's their only way of testing but a saw that cuts the fastest cookie almost never equals the ultimate work saw. So a builder focusing on that and nothing else already proves he's about racing not working.

You need to lay off the Yukon Jack.

My opinion on builders is one thing. Any builder who strives for the fastest cut time cookie cutting has already proven what he's about. Sure they don't cut wood so it's their only way of testing but a saw that cuts the fastest cookie almost never equals the ultimate work saw. So a builder focusing on that and nothing else already proves he's about racing not working. I have ran a few 385/390's ported by guys down south, I own one done by Simon now and have owned many done by walkers including a 390 I have now. The most usable 385/390's IMO are the ones done by walkers. I've owned walkers 372's, Simon 372's and even a mastermind 372 with a meteor top end. The Simonized saw has been the strongest and the most usable 372 I've ever ran. Can't say that for his 390 though lol. I mean it runs better then stock for sure but it won't run with a walkerized 390. The walkerized saws happily tune out to 14.2k and live a healthy life at that tune. The one from Simon sounds like she's maxed out at 13.6k and even there it sounds scary lean. Both very usable saws though. Out of my learning in porting my thing is a low intake. It can absolutely ruin a saw and can be heard just listening to a saw idle. If it looses it's pop sound at idle and idles crazy smooth with little movement of the saw the intake is usually to low and they suffer severely in torque but scream with a short bar. No use to me. Ran a few from down south like that. I'm quite liking the saws I build so no point in paying someone to do them. I have a 372XT Mike lee ported and it is a hot little saw too. Feels as stout as a ported 390 with a 36" bar

Dude I want you to try this 372 and let me know when you think... Best throttle response on any saw I've held and great top end too!

Who peed in your wheaties, lol. Should I do them for free? Sure, why not. Good morning to you too :)

Back