"We need a log splitter"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon E

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I kid you not, that's what the wife said to me last night. I looked at her and said, "Hon, a decent one is three grand. A 'cheapy' at Tractor Supply is still $1700. Why do you think we NEED a log splitter?". She says she's seen me outside 'struggling' to put up firewood for the house and thinks I need something to make my life easier.

So - background. I'm 39 years old, 6', almost 290 lb, pretty darn good shape for a fat guy, I play rugby and do a lot of outdoor activities with my Scout troop so this firewood biz ain't killin' me. I have never, not once, used a hydraulic or mechanical log splitter. We have an outdoor wood boiler and it is our only source of heat and hot water, so it runs year-round. I calculate I burn 10-12 cords a year. Most of what I cut is less than 12" dbh but occasionally I will get into something big (to me, big is 30"+). I have a small chainsaw and a larger chainsaw, neither one "pro saws" (see sig). If I split larger pieces into halves or blocks with a chainsaw, I can easily split them with hand tools. If it's really gnarly, I will make multiple cuts.

I am trying to justify the purchase. Just having my wife support the purchase is not enough. I am sorely tempted to talk her into letting me find a used 80-90 cc saw that will pull a 24" bar with ease and skipping the splitter. The big saw will allow me to split the big rounds so they are more manageable by hand.

On the other hand, my Dad just turned 70 and he still cuts and splits 6 cords a year by hand. He's getting to the point where it's too painful to do it anymore, owing to arthritis, and I have a feeling I'll be cutting 15-17 cords a year rather than 10-12 before too long. A splitter can help there. I also can RENT one for $50 a day, and one day a year should take care of everything I can't do easily by hand. That's 40 years to pay for a $2000 splitter.

I also need to think about the fact that the wood boiler will take some pretty big stuff. If I had a small indoor woodstove or gasification boiler, I'd have already bought a hydraulic splitter by now. But, with an OWB, I can just take the belligerent chunks and chuck 'em in whole.

OK, what would YOU do? Let's assume, for the sake of argument, you've got the $3000 for a splitter.

I have a Fiskars which has been great. I've got a few years on you but am also in good shape and still perfectly capable of splitting by hand.

Still..... If I had the 3 grand and the wife's blessing I'd be on the way to pick it up.

If you've got the money, go for it. Cutting wood is enough work without splitting it all by hand. I don't know your fathers finacial situation, but if he's not hurtin maybe he'd be willing to split on one with you.:cheers:

If you have boy scouting troops for free labor Id start a firewood business, you can take them out into the woods, cut and buck the wood and let them carry it to your truck for you. Of course you will tell them what types of wood they are carrying so it is a learning experience. No but seriously if I were you and had 3,000 dollars, Id get the best of both worlds. You can get a DECENT splitter aka a husky or spee co 25 ton splitter for 1500, and a 80-90 cc saw for 1500. Neither splitter will be "commercial grade", or real fast. For what you do though, its certainly better then doing it by hand. You really dont need to spend 3000 dollars on a splitter for waht you do. A spee co should do fine for the relativly small amount of wood you use.

If you have boy scouting troops for free labor Id start a firewood business, you can take them out into the woods, cut and buck the wood and let them carry it to your truck for you. Of course you will tell them what types of wood they are carrying so it is a learning experience. No but seriously if I were you and had 3,000 dollars, Id get the best of both worlds. You can get a DECENT splitter aka a husky or spee co 25 ton splitter for 1500, and a 80-90 cc saw for 1500. Neither splitter will be "commercial grade", or real fast. For what you do though, its certainly better then doing it by hand. You really dont need to spend 3000 dollars on a splitter for waht you do. A spee co should do fine for the relativly small amount of wood you use.

+1. Also you are not getting any younger. If you can afford it now, get it, you never know when you might have to have it. A splitter is like a lot of other things, you dont know what youre missing till you get one. :cheers:

I'd keep doing it by hand for as long as you can.

My old man is 61 and we do everything by hand. Good exercise. Add some strenuous hiking and you shed any of those pounds you want gone easy.

Climb Mansfield via the Long Trail, and then go home and do some splitting, good complete exercise without paying for a gym membership :)

Wives and log splitters

My elderly neighbor was getting a knee replacement at a local hospital, and while visiting him, I told him not to rent a splitter this year because my wife told me to get a splitter, which I did.

The roommate in the adjoining bed, overheard this conversation and asked, "Your wife told you to get a splitter?" I said yes. He said, "That is a GOOD women."

Said it all.

The roommate in the adjoining bed, overheard this conversation and asked, "Your wife told you to get a splitter?" I said yes. He said, "That is a GOOD women."
:agree2::agree2:

I may be only 31 but I enjoy splitting wood by hand ALMOST as much as I enjoy cutting down trees. I think it is great exercise for me and I like getting up early splitting some wood and coming back into my warm house for a nice hot cup of coffee.

Although if my wife pushed me to get one, I might....when I am getting older and my body is sore after a morning's worth of work.

$3000 ~ Bah, you can save some serious cash....

22 Ton Huskee Splitter = $1200
Dolmar 7900 = $800
Dinner and Movie for wife = $100

$900 saved! Put that back in the bank for oil and gas.

Life is GOOD!

The splitter will save you time, effort, and actually money in the end from not having to visit the chiropractor for an alignment, or the pharmacy for pain killers. The wellness of your back is worth the cost of the splitter.

Chris

I live in a neighborhood where I am the only "fool" with a woodpile at all. One guy across the street has his delivered in the fall. maybe two others burn at all. Not too much makes me feel better then to walk by my woodpile and smell it everyday. I will split by hand until the good lord won't let me do it anymore.

Something about working wood by hand that keeps me humble.

Sounds like your wife means well, but I also enjoy splitting by hand. Last year I took down three big locusts in my front yard and had several people stop and offer use of their splitters in exchange for wood -- the looked at me like I was nuts when I said I'd rather split it myself. I like work, I hate exercise. I'd save the money; you can always buy a splitter later if and when you no longer enjoy hand splitting.

Jack

Buy the speeco

they will last til you are dead and pushing up daises.My biggest complaint of splitting by hand.. Is having to bend over to pick up many split pieces. I would rather lift a whole round and split it at teste height then toss the splits into the truck or trailer.
Sure some wood can be split much faster with a maul. But My splitter never gets tired.,

Another Vote for the Huskee/Speeco.

It's enough splitter for most. A bit slow but fast enough.
I cannot say enough about thier customer service..Just plain old darn good support, and follow through. I'd upgrade and buy another if I ever wear this one out. I wish they made a 3/4 ton truck!!

Sooner or later you are gonna get a couple of big old twisted up fenceline Chineese Elms. The Huskee splitter will be cheaper than the chiropractor and maul handles when done.LOL!!

I still run the maul now and then for fun, or to warm up a bit.
Having a reliable smaller capacity splitter gives you and your dad options.

The Maul is faster for about 2 dozen rounds.
On a dozen cord, the splitter will win, and so will your lower back.;)

Spoil your wife a bit. She's lookin out for ya! :cheers::cheers:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I agree with your wife, get the splitter! You can still split by hand until you wear out then switch to the splitter. Maybe she wants you to save you strength for other activities?:dizzy: I would suggest looking at Brave splitters if you have an outlet near you, they are the cheap line of iron and oak splitters but the speeco line at TSC look good, especially the 27 ton model. Have fun and be careful.

Steve

Had a conversation with my wife last night about it and totally talked myself out of the splitter. Then I read all your responses this morning and I'm talking myself back into it. Reason being, I don't really enjoy splitting wood all that much. It's fun with small stuff - put a nice clean 10" ash round on the block and POP it apart. But this bigger stuff is getting me down. I love running my chain saws, I can do that all day, but I don't like splitting wood for more than 15 minutes at a a time. I'll split a half-dozen rounds and then walk away, do something else and come back to it later. I have three or four big oaks and ashes that need to come down in the next year or so, and I am avoiding them because I am not looking forward to splitting the butt logs up. Guess I need to do a little more 'thinking' about this.

Actually - I do enjoy splitting the wood - it's the setting up and chasing after pieces that irritiates me. The old tire on the block helps, but when the piece won't fit in the tire, it sucks.

Troy-bilt is MTD. If you want to deal with a company that buys another company (Troy-Bilt btw) then doesn't honor their warranties, you go right ahead. It's your money.

The TSC you refer to as a 'cheapy' is made by Speeco, and from all I've read about them here over the years they are good units.

Buy a splitter from TSC. Thats alot of work you are doing and I admire that. But with wood being your only source of heat & hot water,with a splitter you can get a couple of years ahead. And you can help your dad get wood cut ahead as well. Then if something unexpected happens & you get laid up at least you will have wood there for your wife to throw in the boiler. This may be her thinking as well.

Back