whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s not something I want at all. It’s something I need that I begrudgingly ponied up for. My mechanic was adamant that I get rid of my UD so that left few choices. This truck is gonna cost me about 100k but being that I’m unable to spend money on myself without several nights of getting yelled at I’ll just bite the bullet and get the best for my work.

Good luck with the new truck man.
I'm starting a large removal job tomorrow, 6 good sized oaks(4 are doubles),1 big double maple, and topping 4 big pines. I tried to tell her the pines are gonna die so might as well remove completely. I'll climb the pines tomorrow and maybe pick at one of the oaks. We got a lift reserved for next weekend.

Good luck with the new truck man.
I'm starting a large removal job tomorrow, 6 good sized oaks(4 are doubles),1 big double maple, and topping 4 big pines. I tried to tell her the pines are gonna die so might as well remove completely. I'll climb the pines tomorrow and maybe pick at one of the oaks. We got a lift reserved for next weekend.

Why top the pines if you know its going to kill them? Just to get the rest of the job?

Why top the pines if you know its going to kill them? Just to get the rest of the job?

Turned out husband is going to drop the spars, he planned on removing them once topped. He just wanted them to be cut low enough for him drop safely. The wife (lady I sold job too) Thought they were gonna survive and just grow bushy at a lower height. I only got 2 trees done, both had multiple stems branching out. Wind was blowing wrong way to bomb em, I had to rig a few of the tops. Rigging tops by your self no fun, had a good tip too for a ring sling but still seemed dangerous/hokey

I love these bigger jobs where I just find a home. We’ve been around this whole place practically. This setup worked real well today. Had the logs stacked and waiting for Jefferson. Was able to feed some logs in the chipper, then load Jeff at same time. Sweet because the guy is getting his driveway paved soon too, so no worries about turning. I got the 110’ dead and scrawny Ash there next, they just added the next big oak down the line. Then we still have the big ash with the ribbon further down. Should keep me out of trouble for a few more days.
98E096EF-AE4D-4928-BCE4-709B546984B5.jpeg

Nice looking work. I'm not sure if the tree work or the plywood interstate is more impressive.;)Those stacks looks like enough to build a house or two. Really nice!

Welcome to AS! And thank you! The “plywood makes it possible “ is a saying I have here. My current help understands. They whip those sheets around like tater chips. Lol.

Welcome to AS! And thank you! The “plywood makes it possible “ is a saying I have here. My current help understands. They whip those sheets around like tater chips. Lol.
Tater chips.... that's awesome! :omg: I've sent your pics to my Dad and several friends and they're all impressed.

I had my first saw causality last weekend. Job was taking longer then expected, helper was painfully slow in every way and called out at 6:30 sunday morning. Got tired of him taking forever w/ the rope and portawrap so I decided to do the 1/5th rule on the rest of the spar. Nice 45* face cut but crooked back cut you know the rest. I held on for dear life but saw didn't survive, broke every av mount, carb seperated from the intake, bar/chain bent that's just preliminary look over . It was about 30' up so who knows maybe it would of survived better if I would of let go and hope log didn't land on it. Day 2 by myself was fun, cut and throw 3 80'+ white oaks. Half over the house, air conditioner, oil tank, flower bed. Speed lined the tops which were 30' out of reach w/ 55' lift right next to tree. It was better then rigging them w/ slings then cut and throw them down. Tightening speed lines w/ 50 extra feet of rope in bucket was the slow part. Customer was happy and tipped me 400 for finishing by myself. So I'll take that tip and get a new 2511t and use my busted one for parts. 90* and humid all weekend and somehow thunder storms surrounded us but never came within 3-4 miles of job site. Back at it this Sunday

Looks like some beefy wood, probably even bigger on site. Pics always make tree's look smaller.

Yeah, roping that stick had me a little nervous. Probably bigger than it looked in the pics for sure. Heavy, tight grained red oak and with such a smooth trunk. I kept thinking “great, we were almost done with this huge job, then he throws this at me and a sling is gonna break and **** the whole thing up”. My ground guy did awesome on the rope though, really impressed me. Saw big logs come down smoother than I ever thought possible.

That customer was such a nice old timer. Really cool. Now we’re back to the usual fruitcakes. Sigh. I thought this ****er was gonna try and make out with me yesterday!! I kept backing up and he kept coming, f’n two feet away. Every time I come down they’re on me!!:(

Really nice pro work. Looks like you've invested in the tools and people to do superior work. :omg: It's always fun to watch someone that's good at their craft.

Back