What bar/chain combo do you use on your 346xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I swapped chains today. Replacing the stock anti-kickback with a carlton "pro" type chain.
(I don't know all the details other than it doeasnt have the anti kick back links)
The saw cut much better and faster. I don't think it would like that chain in a 20 inch bar in hardwoods. The 18 inch was a good balance on a stock saw.
Running the stock chain really limits the saw.

I swapped chains today. Replacing the stock anti-kickback with a carlton "pro" type chain.
(I don't know all the details other than it doeasnt have the anti kick back links)
The saw cut much better and faster. I don't think it would like that chain in a 20 inch bar in hardwoods. The 18 inch was a good balance on a stock saw.
Running the stock chain really limits the saw.

It does, but not because of any "anti kick-back" features - it is just because it is NK and semi-chisel, and that is no good deal on that saw......:censored:

I don't have a 346, but have a 50 Special, 51, and two 55's. I've outfitted all of them with 18" bars and .325 chains. I use and prefer the full chisel for most hardwood, and use some semi-chisel as well, especially if the wood isn't real clean.

The 346 probably makes as much as or more power than the 55's, and they handle 18" bars fine. The 50 Special and 51 are just OK with the 18" bars, they would probably be better suited to 16" bars, but I'm trying to set up my saws with the same bar/chain set-ups when possible.....Cliff

Thanks for all the replies. Now the decision to go with a 16 or 18 inch bar. Im tempted to go with 16 since my 371 currently has a 20 inch on it. Primary use for these saws is cutting hardwood / firewood.

I don't have a 346, but have a 50 Special, 51, and two 55's. I've outfitted all of them with 18" bars and .325 chains. I use and prefer the full chisel for most hardwood, and use some semi-chisel as well, especially if the wood isn't real clean.

The 346 probably makes as much as or more power than the 55's, and they handle 18" bars fine. The 50 Special and 51 are just OK with the 18" bars, they would probably be better suited to 16" bars, but I'm trying to set up my saws with the same bar/chain set-ups when possible.....Cliff

These saws are nothing like a 50, 51 or 55.....I have three hopped up 55's..

The 346 is like a 372 and the 55 is like a poulan when you are trying to compare the two....

OP, I personally wouldn't go any longer than a 16", especially if you are going to run 3/8 chain. It will bog big time if you burry the bar in hardwoods.

I run a 13" on my 346 and 5100, and then a 16" on my ms360. Next step up is a 440/372 with a 20"....

since you are in hardwood country and already have a couple other saws, I think you be happy with the 16" on the 346, 18" on the 455 and 20 &24 on the 372

These saws are nothing like a 50, 51 or 55.....I have three hopped up 55's..

The 346 is like a 372 and the 55 is like a poulan when you are trying to compare the two....

OP, I personally wouldn't go any longer than a 16", especially if you are going to run 3/8 chain. It will bog big time if you burry the bar in hardwoods.

I run a 13" on my 346 and 5100, and then a 16" on my ms360. Next step up is a 440/372 with a 20"....

since you are in hardwood country and already have a couple other saws, I think you be happy with the 16" on the 346, 18" on the 455 and 20 &24 on the 372

Hmmmmm - somehow I feel that you aren't even on the field this time - something is seriously wrong with your statements..........:greenchainsaw:

Do you even know the NE346xp, after your absense from here???

Last edited:
I run a 18" bar on mine (.325) The saw runs like a champ. Just do a muff mod and put a unlimited coil on it and there is no looking back.

I just picked up an old edition 346XP (46cc). The guy had this saw running full comp 3/8" on 18" windsor replacable tip! It needs a carb kit, but I'd think it would be doggin with that setup. Just too much

I like the 18 inch .325 on mine....

I'm just using it for firewood,,no racing,,,or production use,,,so the extra few seconds it takes goin tru a cut vers. a smaller bar isnt a issue with me...The plus side for me with the 18 inch bar is when you go to fallin a tree or bucking,,and to me the 2 extra inches is a big time plus....Been using a Oregon 20lpx chain on it....

18" bar stihl full chisel .325... keeps me from bending over too much. and the saw rips through hardwoods

"These saws are nothing like a 50, 51 or 55.....I have three hopped up 55's..

The 346 is like a 372 and the 55 is like a poulan when you are trying to compare the two...."

Actually, one of my 55's is closed port, not open port like the majority of them. It runs much faster and has a lot stronger top end power than any of the others. I'll bet it's not to far off a 346.

In any case, it's very happy with the 18" .325 set-up. The open port versions do OK with it as well, but lack the strong top end power I see from the closed port version.

Also keep in mind that they put 3/8" 20" bars on the 55's, zillions of them out there running that way. I've tried that set-up on mine, not too bad if you aren't in a hurry, but they SCREAM with shorter bars and .325" chains.....Cliff

Is the 346 that peaky that it has to stay screaming its ball's off? It seems to me the general consensus is that it doesn't have the kahunas to take the load of 3/8" chain. :dunno:

Is the 346 that peaky that it has to stay screaming its ball's off? It seems to me the general consensus is that it doesn't have the kahunas to take the load of 3/8" chain. :dunno:

Bull-hooey...:dizzy:

that could be said for the 46 cc version....in stock form.

but then, this ole fart has never run any of his, OE or NE, in that configuration for more than.......0.3 gas tanks......:greenchainsaw:

Back