What bar/chain combo do you use on your 346xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine came with 18"/.325 setup. Just cause I'm a nimrod, today I bought a 3/8" sprocket and 20'' bar so I can use the same chains as my 441. We'll find out this weekend if I wasted my money. I've got a pile of logs dragged out so now it's buck em up time. Like someone said, for the bigger stuff I'll grab the bigger saw. Will that bar fit on my 61?

I don't understand putting these short bars on the 371/372. My stock 372 pulls a 28" bar with LGX through red and white oak just fine.

My stock 350 pulls an 18" with LP through hardwood fine as well - is the 346 much different? In fact, I dropped 2 red oaks this weekend (24" and 14" DBH) and got some ooooohs and aaaaahs from the guys watching.

The 350 performed so well (hand filed chain) that they were calling me "american logger wiley" and one of them said to my 13 year old son "Your Dad must do this a lot".

It sounds to me as though a lot of this advice for puny bars is some sort of setup so that folks can point and laugh later ;)

I agree with you to a degree! I dont like a 16 inch bar period, to much reaching. I like a 18 on my limbing saws. On the 372 I like a 24 though it pulls hard enough a 28 be to much for the cutting I do, Id want a 80+cc for a 28 like a 395.

I run a 16" Windsor mini pro replaceable tip... lighter than most every laminate bar and even lighter than the 16" Sugi Hara lightweight and still has the replaceable tip. :D :clap:

I run it with Stihl 23RSC chain... .325 .050 gauge full chisel NO BUMPER LINKS. :cheers:

Sweet little set up, I'll try to get a pic tomorrow, I know how much everybody likes phonography. :laugh:

Well I did it... I dropped by the dealer today and ordered it with the 16" bar. If I had longer than a 20" bar on the 372xp then I would have went with the 18" My dealer said he sells more of them in the 16" then any other size. He said I'm not the first one who has purchased the 372xp and 346xp combo. Said its quite popular among the firewood cutters around here.

Anyhow... now the search for a non-cat muffler and new unlimited coil. Anybody know the part number of the non-cat muffler and where to buy? Sucks that Husqvarna puts cat mufflers on these saws now... I'm not real fond of the green fuel cap either.

Mine came with 18"/.325 setup. Just cause I'm a nimrod, today I bought a 3/8" sprocket and 20'' bar so I can use the same chains as my 441. We'll find out this weekend if I wasted my money. I've got a pile of logs dragged out so now it's buck em up time. Like someone said, for the bigger stuff I'll grab the bigger saw. Will that bar fit on my 61?

I ran a tank of gas through it tonight. I don't regret doing it. I had to use a little finesse once I got over 12" hardwoods, but it did ok. I'll probably get a 16" bar and chains eventually, but I'm going to stick with the 3/8".

Those bars will make the saws "rear-heavy", and they will not let the saws do their best effort, unless you put large rims and the very best chain on them. The H30/95VP is pretty useless on the NE346xp, unless you just limb spruce with it.

You don't need a 371xp, if all you need is a 15" bar.
Annother reason and maybe the main is that injuries caused by limbing went down drastically when they went from 15" to 13" And is better to have a little rear heavy saw than cut yourself in the leg.......

I dont feel that the 346 with 13 is rear heavy, but i have never tried 15" either.
13" is also the stanard bar at least in this part of Norway

Annother reason and maybe the main is that injuries caused by limbing went down drastically when they went from 15" to 13" And is better to have a little rear heavy saw than cut yourself in the leg.......

I dont feel that the 346 with 13 is rear heavy, but I have never tried 15" either.
13" is also the standard bar at least in this part of Norway

13" and H30/95VP is standard here as well....:bang::bang::bang:

At least change the rim to an 8-pin, if you stay with that set-up!

Those bars will make the saws "rear-heavy", and they will not let the saws do their best effort, unless you put large rims and the very best chain on them. The H30/95VP is pretty useless on the NE346xp, unless you just limb spruce with it.

You don't need a 371xp, if all you need is a 15" bar.

Why is the H30/VP95 useless unless you just limb spruce with it? Why are the Husqvarna dealers selling them? Which chain are you using, and who sell it?
Do stihl chains fit ?

another vote for either 15" or 16", I wanted to get a 15" when I got mine but the dealer only had 18" in stock, but it was on special offer so that's what it came with! It's not that much of a problem, but once I get my 365 running again so I have a larger saw the 346 will be going down to a smaller bar.

cheers,
Joe

I have two set-up with 3/8" and two with 325. The two with 325 will be changed over to 3/8 soon, because I don't have all day!

Ever get 'em all switched over?

I was a stubborn .325 guy myself, but I have been converted after running a couple with 3/8, (Harrybarker and barney34). It is a big improvement; much more than I would have believed. As Barney34 puts it, "The 346 will outperform .325 chain." And as has been mentioned, there are tons of open port 55 ranchers out there with 18" and 20" 3/8 setups, and the 346NE is certainly a more powerful saw.

16" and 18" are the best for balance reasons. But the sweetest setup we've found is with a Windsor 18" CJL speed tip. It runs a 64DL chain, so it's right in between the usual 60DL 16" and 68DL 18". I guess it should be called a 17", but whatever it's called, it feels just right. :cheers:

For the 346OE, I'd stay with the .325 though.

No not yet. Both Huskys are changed over to 3/8" but the Jonsereds are still 325. It's just a matter of time. I trying to use up some of the 325 chains and bars I have around.
I like the 60dl, 3/8" chains, they sharped up fast when hand filing.

16" .325X.058 RC28 chain.I tried 3/8 and a 16" bar on my 5100 for limbing and it was way too graby on the smaller limbs.I take my branches down to finger size.
attachment.php

This is just and opinion but .325 is great for limb ing but bucking with most of the bar 3/8s clogs less.
Comes down to what you use it for most of the time.
A 346 or a 5100 will handle a 3/8 with up to a 20" bar, if you know how to use it.

16" .325X.058 RC28 chain.I tried 3/8 and a 16" bar on my 5100 for limbing and it was way too graby on the smaller limbs.I take my branches down to finger size.

By "way to grabby", do you mean a tendency to pull the branch towards the saw rather than cut through it?

Back