What does it take to get a Husqvarna chainsaw started?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shimaze

Wallet Logger
Reaction score
Choke on, choke off, prime the bulb, throttle open, throttle closed ...WTF? I have had the spark plug out more times than I count and I subject each saw to a battery of 20 consecutive pulls and it still won't start. I am having a very difficult time getting either saw to start. I got the 395 started last night and once today. But now it won't start. I have never got the 550 to do little more than pop the compression release.

Is it always this difficult? Is this a foreshadowing of how it is? If so, I am going to be so tired and wore out from trying to get them to start, I won't have any energy left to cut! Do professional loggers spend the first half of the day getting the saw started and then cut after lunch until quitting time?

Must be something going on.
Both my huskys 181 and 353 are usually idling by the fourth or fifth pull.

Are the carbs due for a rebuild.
Whats the compression at?
Are leaks?

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

Choke on, choke off, prime the bulb, throttle open, throttle closed ...WTF? I have had the spark plug out more times than I count and I subject each saw to a battery of 20 consecutive pulls and it still won't start. I am having a very difficult time getting either saw to start. I got the 395 started last night and once today. But now it won't start. I have never got the 550 to do little more than pop the compression release.

Is it always this difficult? Is this a foreshadowing of how it is? If so, I am going to be so tired and wore out from trying to get them to start, I won't have any energy left to cut! Do professional loggers spend the first half of the day getting the saw started and then cut after lunch until quitting time?
Read your manuals.

Just leave them on the shelf. You really weren’t going to use them anyway, right?

I might be thinking of someone else, but didn't you buy these saws brand-new earlier this year? Maybe late last year?

Yeah, I am the one you are thinking of. I bought two new Husqvarna saws. A 550XP & a 395XP. I call myself a wallet logger. I just got around to starting them the first time.

I got both of them to finally come to life. What seemed to work was holding the throttle open until the fired up. This cleared out the extra fuel. I have done this on other things before. The 550 didn't want to start with the compression release engaged.

Fuel injection has us all a little spoiled when it comes to starting an engine. Just down right frustrating when wanting to hear something run for the first time. If I could find a fuel injected, electric start chainsaw, I would be doing pretty good ...until I packed it around all day!

Thanks for all the replies, Shimaze

Just a newbie problem. I will get the hang of it. Here is a video of both of them running

Yes, the more you use them, the more you will become acquainted with them. All of my O P E is Stihl, and most have their own starting process they like. More times than not, I get one piece confused with another, and try to start it improperly.

I cuss at my O P E almost as much as I do at other drivers in traffic.

If I spend more than 45 seconds on a saw to get it running I go to the next. Once and awhile I forget to turn on the ignition and flood the saw. That happens about about once a year at most, but still frustrating. My larger saws are the ones that will get yourself tired so they have to be running on the third pull period. On the fourth pull will be checking spark plug or to see if I forgot to fill with mix or? If a saw proves unreliable more often than not it gets parted out or scrapped. Thanks

Your just flooding your saws that's all. Once there flooded starting them without clearing the engine requires lots of swearing, cussing and physical energy. Saws are sensitive to flooding so starting procedure needs to be followed. If it is flooded, remove spark plug turn upside down and pull stater several times to clear fuel. Dry spark plug and start again. Get the starting procedure right which is basically exactly the same on all O-P-E 2strokes and life will be good and you'll start to like ya saws again.

Glad you got them running.
With the 550 for a cold start whether you hear it pop or not after the 3rd pull you should turn the choke off, then pull a few more times, then if it doesn't fire choke it again they are easy to flood.
Be careful with over tightening the chains, especially on the 395, you will break a tensioner if not(it looks a bit tight in the video).
Hope this helps.

You can get a false pop start on the first or second pull. I push the choke in and if it doesn’t start pull the choke out again and repeat. When she pops push the choke in and one or two pulls she should fire up.

Never had a problem with husky saws. But my mini macs always vapor locked when out of gas hot.

Ya I can start my saw but when that large mouth bass with its pea sized brain out thinks me it’s my turn. Trust me we all get a turn. Lol

Back