What is in your chainsaw tool box?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I LOVE FIREWOOD

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am a home owner that cuts and burns firewood, just wondering what should be in my saw tool box? Thanks

I am a home owner that cuts and burns firewood, just wondering what should be in my saw tool box? Thanks

Hey welcome aboard AS I LOVE FIREWOOD. I have files, file holder, raker gage, brush to clean around oil and gas caps before opening, e-clips, extra bar nuts, wd40, swrench, screwdriver, pliers, spark plug, small carb screwdriver, pair of reading glasses( I always lose mine)and a partridge in a pair tree. OK I made the last part up. But you get the picture.:givebeer: :givebeer: :givebeer:

Files, Air filters, I have a little 12v sharpener. Plugs, gloves, saw wrench.

As mentioned above, and...

If you want bare essentials?

Extra chains, ear plugs, some sort of tool or hacksaw blade for cleaning out the bar groove when you replace a chain, scrench, etc.

I do have oodles of stuff for going out to cut. Some of it hardly every gets used, some every time.

Welcome to AS.

Most of the stuff already mentioned, files, a scrench, sprocket greaser, screwdrivers, needlenose pliers, first aid kit, duct tape, some water, munchies and of course a bottle opener!

I carry most of the stuff listed plus the following:

Plastic wedges for felling and preventing pinched bars while bucking

An Epi-pen (I'm allergic to yellow jacket stings)

Work gloves

Band-aids

My chainsaw toolbox is a 5 gallon bucket with a set of hang on pockets that kind of looks like a tool belt. They are available at Home Depot and Lowes.
Home Depot and Lowes also have tool bags that make very nice chainsaw tool bags. They are long enough to hold extra bars and wide enough to hole a one gallon gas can. Lots of pockets for files, etc.

Adam

I have everything separated wonderfully.

Files in the truck glove box. Gas/oil in the toolshed. Gloves out on the woodpile. Stiff-bristled brush in the toolbox. Earmuffs hanging on the splitter's lever. Screnches are...are...rats!

First get a rubber made type container with a snap on lid. Everything in one place. Gloves, round and flat files, small stiff plastic brush, small wire brush, spare spark plugs and air filters, plastic wedges and small sledge hammer, cloth towel, small roll of paper towels, scrench, extra chains in original boxes or freezer zip locks well labeled, dawn spray dish soap, wd40, extra 2-stroke oil and pliers.

My friends are amazed by my chainsaw box. The key is to always keep it together. Grab the saws, gas mix, bar oil and saw box and your set.

My box is a milk case. Just the size for my ammo box tool kit, 1 gal gas, 1 gal bar oil, 4 plastic wedges (the steel ones ride behind the spare). Ammo box holds 3 spare chains (2 saws go every time), extra cable shackles, carb screwdriver. Scrench (rides with the steel wedges so I don't have to dig out the tool box for a quick adjust).

Not really equipped to sharp chains in the field. I figure if I burn through 5 chains in one session, I need to quit anyhow.

Lots of cable, chains, snatchblocks, tow straps, PPE, etc., etc., ride in the cab.

Harry K

Lets see:

Scrench
files
file guide
raker file
brush for oil/gas cap area and sprocket cover
extra chains (2)
Carb-size screwdriver
2 one-gallon size things of 2-stroke oil
rags
Ear plugs
Bucking Wedge

That all fits in one of those 30 cal ammo boxes

Then you have a gallon of b/c oil, 2 gallon gas can, saw, a felling axe, a monster maul, 3 wedges and a 6# maul and a cooler in the back of truck as well.

Usually a can of PB blaster as well.

Man, that sounds like a TON but the wedges, axe/mauls, don't really take up space. The saw, oil and gas and ammo box are kept against the tailgate with a 1" ratchet strap and the PB blaster and cooler just get thrown around and ignored...until I"m thirsty.

What they said (everyone) and I keep a good wire brush for removing dirt clumps from the bottom logs.

pretty much everything listed above plus some jerky, something chocolate, empty coffee cups & registration . . . my "tool-box" is my '89 Toyota pickup and I can usually get it within 40 (or so) yards of what I'm cutting.

I also keep the peavy & Fiskars splitter, extra T-shirt and socks behind the seat.

I have a greenlee toolbox, in it I keep (locked)...

1. MS460
2. 40cc craftsman
3. Files, guides
4. Scrench
5. Mingo Marker and paint for it
6. Extra bars and chains.
7. PPE

First get a rubber made type container with a snap on lid. Everything in one place. Gloves, round and flat files, small stiff plastic brush, small wire brush, spare spark plugs and air filters, plastic wedges and small sledge hammer, cloth towel, small roll of paper towels, scrench, extra chains in original boxes or freezer zip locks well labeled, dawn spray dish soap, wd40, extra 2-stroke oil and pliers.

My friends are amazed by my chainsaw box. The key is to always keep it together. Grab the saws, gas mix, bar oil and saw box and your set.

Same here, a 14 gallon Rubbermaid tub. Add a hatchet and first aid kit.

i use a fairmont creamery milk crate with-
1 gal gas can for saw
1 gal gas can for splitter
2 xtra chains
1 syrup bottle for bar oil
pliers
file
shop rag
scrench
small screwdriver

-Extra bottle of oil mix
-Spare chain
-Scrench
-Files
-Tachometer
-Spare Air Filter

and what to me has become the neatest little gadget since sliced bread, the Carlton File o' Plate.

I found one thing really cool the other day, another use for a scrench! Came out of the local store, hit the key, and got a click!
Popped the hood, loose battery connection. And of coarse my toolbox was not under the rear seat. Dug around the cutting box hoping to find a monkey wrench or vice grips, natta one. But did spot the scrench. Low and behold, its the same size as the battery nuts! Tightened it up and down the road we went.

The bare minimum would be
3/8" ratchet
7/16 deep well socket for Super 2 bar
1/2 deep well socket for Patriot bar
5/8 deep well socket for Mac bar and sparkplugs
3/16" screwdriver for bar adjustments. I slip the bigger sockets over this.
3/32" screwdriver for jet adjustments. The smaller socket goes over this one.
Oregon file guide w/file
spare file
all wrapped up in my ex's favorite kitchen towel for a grease rag.

Extra chains are in blister packs, soaking in 30 weight under the seat. Ropes and chains are usually laying over the transmission hump. A tool box goes along for just in case anything unexpected comes up.

Spare chains, files, spare bar nuts, raker gauge, toothbruch to clean around caps, pliers, Cresent wrench, scrench, putty knife, small srew driver for carb, bar grease gun, flat file.

Back