What is the ultimate McCulloch saw based on the 10 series chassis

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5.6kw for DE80 and Super 850 same as a MS661. 7.6 hp. Suspect a little sales puffing.

5.0kw for PM800 = 6.7hp. Closer to reality. MS 461 4.5kw / 6.0hp.

3.5kw for PM700 = 4.7 hp. About right. Almost identical to MS362.

Ron

Mark,

You are the only person I know with a Super 850. Is it a rebadged 800 or DE80? I thought they were rebadged 800s.

There are a few parts on eBay listed as a 850 but look to be DE 80.

Ron

Are there any differences between the early 10-10 and the later ones with a chain brake and everything, as far as power goes? did all the early versions have a little more to bring to the table?

Later 10s have the cube carb, the older ones have the bullfrog. Its easy to spot the difference, the older 10s have more rounded airbox cover, there is no mistaking a bullfrog for anything else.
View attachment 540813
Yeah bullfrog carbs are goofy looking, I've never rebuilt one but I do have a 1-10 that I converted to a cube carb and kept everything original so it can be switched back and forth. I think it came out pretty good. are there any porting differences between the early and late?

Also, one thing I've never understood, what are the differences between the different 54cc models? if they were all the same size why change model number

I don't know the 10s that well, there are too many to keep track of. I have several, none are the same.
I have 5 250s, none of those is identical, nothing is as Mac generic as a 250.
Yeah I think I have 5 different versions of the 10-10

I guess that makes a Mac 660 pretty easy then, at least by Mac standards, not much variation. Even the regular 797 had 5 or 6 different versions not including the super. The earlier porting the better from my limited understanding.

The PM 850 Super is a PM800 with a different label.

IMG_1385.JPG

IMG_1384.JPG

There are 14 different model numbers for the 10-10 if you include the 10-10S in that mix. Add the letter and serial number prefixes and the number is much larger. Any errors in the list are mine...

upload_2016-12-2_20-46-42.png

For those that are not familiar with the DE80 (Double Eagle 80) they went with a radical different approach and fixed the carburetor to the cylinder and put a boot around the carburetor rather than mounting the carburetor to the air box and connecting it to the cylinder with a flexible boot.

DSC07072.JPG

DSC07067.JPG

DSC07068.JPG

The cylinder/crankcase is interchangeable with any of the 82 cc models, just changed the way the parts bolt together. When I got my DE80 it had been rebuilt with a PM8200 short block. I was able to find the right pieces to make it more original again.

Mark

Impressive knowledge that you guys have!

I think I'm the proud owner of a Walbro equipped 10-10 as of today. The guy accepted the price but I haven't heard back with PayPal instructions yet. Sold without spark, supposedly has compression. Even if it doesn't have compression I don't care as I have a 10-10 shortblock with a good piston.

Anybody know why they skipped 4, 8, and 9? I did finally get ahold of a 3-10e but it is missing the battery case and rear handle strap. it's amazing how much heavier they are

The PM 850 Super is a PM800 with a different label.

View attachment 540835

View attachment 540837

There are 14 different model numbers for the 10-10 if you include the 10-10S in that mix. Add the letter and serial number prefixes and the number is much larger. Any errors in the list are mine...

View attachment 540838

For those that are not familiar with the DE80 (Double Eagle 80) they went with a radical different approach and fixed the carburetor to the cylinder and put a boot around the carburetor rather than mounting the carburetor to the air box and connecting it to the cylinder with a flexible boot.

View attachment 540842

View attachment 540840

View attachment 540841

The cylinder/crankcase is interchangeable with any of the 82 cc models, just changed the way the parts bolt together. When I got my DE80 it had been rebuilt with a PM8200 short block. I was able to find the right pieces to make it more original again.

Mark
I've never seen any of the 82cc av saws with a half wrap, but that is not saying much, there's a lot I have never seen

All of the PM8200s that I have seen are half wraps. Mark's Super 850 is the only one of another model that I have seen except an 800 that I set up that way as an experiment. Ron
The pro mac 8200 I just bought has a full wrap, as does the 800 I have

Latest posts

Back