what is this chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bezza1

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
hay guys i got some lenghts of this chain can you tell me what it is used for ?
attachment.php

attachment.php

some sort of ripping chain,since those cutters are filed at about 10 degrees

the closer i look,they are filed straight across 0 degrees,gotta be a rippin chain

I googled Emery chain and it took me to a site showing Emery-Kolve chain company. If this is the same chain, it was patented as having anti-kickback properties by not allowing the tooth to dig too deep as it went around the nose of the bar.
They may have made more than one type of chain so take this with a grain of salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a few loops of the Kolve, supposed to be superior for cutting in dirty conditions and all of the teeth are filed as 0° (or 90° if you prefer to look at it that way).

According to the guy I got mine from, they took it off the market when they were going to be forced to add anti kick back features.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I will add that it does make an extremely smooth finish to the cut surface.

Mark

Last edited:
I have a few loops of the Kolve, supposed to be superior for cutting in dirty conditions and all of the teeth are filed as 0° (or 90° if you prefer to look at it that way).

According to the guy I got mine from, they took it off the market when they were going to be forced to add anti kick back features.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I will add that it does make an extremely smooth finish to the cut surface.

Mark

I imagine it would, the last pic says it all. Wish I had some of that when I was milling the cedar this summer. What sort of mayhem do the chips look like ?

Good lookin rip chain sir

Not really, it just looks silly - no wonder it was taken off the market!

Regarding "anti-kickback", there should be more than enough of that, with the silly large rakers - so I highly suspect that was not the true reason it was withdrawn from the market - rather lack of performance, compared to newer designs.

I know this is an old thread but I came across a few links left on a roll.
This is left from when I used to sell this chain. Been so long I don't remember but would guess 1978>later
Don"t remember who the distributer was but around here a lot of rail lines were being torn out and it was popular for cutting railroad ties.
I took a picture of the chain roll box.

Latest posts

Back