What kinda spikes for pruning?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TREETX

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What kind of spikes you guys like to use when pruning trees?

Dan, that is a cool pic. In Thomas Pakenhams book, there is a pic of Eucs like that which supposedly visitors can climb.

Oh, the thread, I like hearing myself type. :dizzy:

a serious respnse

I wonder if he's a troll or not...but the honest answer is none of these guys will recommend spikes for pruning. Too much damage to the bark and vascular tissues. Most here will use them for takedowns only...considered good etiquette in arborist circles.

Tom Dunlap said:
No, no, no...you guys must be too young to have learned from Harold McPeak. He knows which spikes to use for pruning.

Read in his Facts section:

http://www.cuttree4u.com/

It seems that about once per year the young 'uns need to learn from the elders.
tom, dont put yourself down like that, im sure you have many tricks in the basket yet.

Here is one that I have been working on recently. It was topped and gaffed thirty years ago. Every head that resprouted died and has been falling for years. I will have gaff pics on a neighboring tree on monday weather permiting.

Tree Frog said:
Here is one that I have been working on recently. It was topped and gaffed thirty years ago. Every head that resprouted died and has been falling for years. I will have gaff pics on a neighboring tree on monday weather permiting.

Good Grief!

Tom-if you don't do a sarcastic wink wink when you post those links someone on here is gonna take it for God's truth! That's really scary!!

The link is meant as a test :)

McPeak was outed years ago and has a bit of a cult following, kind of like "Hot Tuna" The new generation needs to be exposed to some old stuff once in a while so that they know what the real world is all about.

If anyone cares to write to Harold and confront him on his attitudes, go ahead. Do us a favor though, copy your email and his reply back here. This has been an on-going baiting session for years. He gets very defensive. From what I can remember he does answer all emails. He makes an easy target. Maybe one of these days he'll have a conversion experience and come around from the dark side.

In case you didn't get the joke, I don't stand for using spikes for pruning.

Oh, HORRORS! That clown is in my neck of the woods! :eek:

Even if I didn't know ANYTHING, his website would convince me to go elsewhere.

To top it all off, he thinks Bush caused Katrina. :dizzy:

Regardless of your opinion of Bush/Kerry/Gore/Reagan or whomever, putting political comments on a commercial website is one stupid move!

If you look up the definition of "unprofessional" in an online dictionary, I suspect they'll have a link to his site.

Well, at least he doesn't get his business email sent to an AOL address!

If you're a spikeless climber, then the actual amount of time you spend wearing spikes is pretty minimal.

ALL spikes will spike, so in that respect they are all the same in function and form. There are pole spikes (short) and tree spikes (long), but they're still pointy gaffs made of steel or titanium or aluminum. Light or heavy (not that much heavier) the're all the same to me.

The difference is in the pads or the way you get the things to stay attached to your leg. This is where the true usefulness lies. This is where you make it or break it in wearability, comfort and performance.

Tree Machine said:
ALL spikes will spike, so in that respect they are all the same in function and form. There are pole spikes (short) and tree spikes (long), but they're still pointy gaffs made of steel or titanium or aluminum. Light or heavy (not that much heavier) the're all the same to me.

I suspect the tree feels the same! :D

Back