What kinda spikes for pruning?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Xander, can you get us the link to Harold's scribblings?

My first set of spurs were the common Buckingham 3-1/2" steel spikes with the stock hardware. I used that crappy setup for about 5 years and I credit the uncomfortableness of the spikes to my being a good spikeless climber.

But then I got the next grade up, padded leather tunnel pads, where the shin/knee part of the iron goes up inside the pad and is secured into it by the straps.... this was revolutionary for me and I've been using this setup for 8 years. This bottom-most, and second-to-the-botom most spur setup is all I've ever known.

Tree machine........your just another one of those bucket truck owning, pretty smiling, smooth talking, over charging, big company guys that starts rumors to put the little guys out of a job. Harold has shown me the light..........I'm enlightened.

xander9727 said:
Remember.........make all checks payable to Harold McPeak!

Does the IRS know about this guy?

If he's a sole proprietorship, there's no problem with having checks made out in his name. <shrug> If he doesn't want to incorporate or form an LLC, it's perfectly legitimate to remain a sole proprietorship. There are some (debatable) tax advantages to incorporation, and some liablity advantages, but a sole proprietorship is still a perfectly fine way to run a business. Wouldn't be my choice, but...

Ok, I'm sure that you all have seen spike marks. But for those who haven't here you go. These are 30 years old and have left a mean scar. Not to mention the topping.

Tree Frog:
Lots of trees have enough bark so that they won't show scars as dramatically.
Do you or anyone else have photos of a tree that was killed by spikes? I.e. the intro of disease or insect via the spur looked to be the cause. This has been a common teaching for years and I'd like to get photos if possible.
Thanks anyone.
{What does look neat on birch/aspen is when a bear marks territory with claw marks. Why doesn't a national arborist society go after those jerks?}

smokechase II said:
Tree Frog:

{What does look neat on birch/aspen is when a bear marks territory with claw marks. Why doesn't a national arborist society go after those jerks?}

Deer also do something similar, but I don't know if it is to mark territory or to get the felt off the new antlers. They will rub their antlers against tree trunks, often times removing large sections of the outer bark in the process.

The case of climbing spikes killing trees by themselves might be hard to prove. IN the case of using spikes during the spring oak wilt season has been shown to almost guaranty the death of the tree though. Did the tree die from OW or spikes? In my court, it would be the spikes since the tree would be alive if they hadn't been spike pruned.

Take a look at other bark wounds that haven't killed trees:

http://images.google.com/images?q=a...rls=com.netscape:en-US&start=40&sa=N&filter=0

Does that jusify using spikes or carving trees? Absolutely NOT!

Tom Dunlap said:
No, no, no...you guys must be too young to have learned from Harold McPeak. He knows which spikes to use for pruning.

Read in his Facts section:

http://www.cuttree4u.com/

It seems that about once per year the young 'uns need to learn from the elders.
Tom it look like once a year you make yourself look like an a$$ over something you know is wrong. Quit puffing the magic dragon ( no its not the boys pet) and come back to reality.

I am not a arborist and as such do not understand your pet peeves.
In my neck of the woods its not uncommon at all to have red oaks and yellow birchs full of holes from sap suckers and wood peckers. This doesnt hurt the trees at all, so I am wondering how a few gaff marks will kill a tree.
Liek I said I am no arborist. I am just wondering.

Latest posts

Back