What size is your shop?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just curious as to how much room you guys devote to saws. My workshop is 26X48. I have one room divided off that is 10X26 that is my main "work" area. It has a work bench that is 4 feet wide running down the length of it.
The rest is a big room that is used for various things, such as car repair when the weather is bad. have a small forge in there as well. I've got a refrigerator for the late night repairs and electric outlets every 4 feet to reduce the need for extension cords.

I don't have all the tools or skills that I need (mainly want) to do all the things that I want but at least I have enough room to do a little bit. :D
What are some setups that you guys have that work really well for you?

I'm building a shed/garage now. About 1/2 done, it's 12'X16'. I'd like for it to be larger, but my county has a 30' setback requirement for anything over 200sq' which would put it in my kitchen.

so what do you guys build in these shops

got any cool projects youre workin on, what do you do with a forge ?

kinda curious how the other half lives ( the half that can keep their saws running , as opposed to the ones that can't and are too nuts to quit )

later

Well, the forge just sits and watches most of the time.:D It belonged to my great-grandad and it has been passed down along the line to me. I do some things with it such as make spikes for hayhaulers here on the farm. My brother in law is in to swords so he has me make him some roughed in swords out of leaf springs and things like that. Casted some aluminum by melting it over the ducks nest.

Right now my projects are a slew of Homelites that I'd like to get running and a stihl 031av that makes me wonder how the forge is doing today.:D I'm trying to get something to run long enough to cut a little firewood before the snow sets in. Not having a lot of luck just yet. The Super XL will be running soon, I'm almost positive. :D

I have a ancient 24x32 dairy barn with a 20x32 lean-to on the north side. There is a garage door, of course, in the lean-to.

I was able to buy the farm I grew up on. My dad had remodeled the barn to serve as a cabinet shop, but after dad was killed in an accident mom sold out. When I got it back there was nothing but pigeons and guano.

Now I have plenty of tools contained therein; in addition to 2 table saws, jointer, bandsaw, etc. and other woodworking tools, I also house a 10"x36" south bend lathe, welders, sandblast booth, parts washer, you know...all the stuff a country boy needs to survive. My main workbench is an ell, 10'x8', plus a second bench 12' long. There is so much junk in my shop I can barely get a car or a pickup in to work on it...I can't resist farm auctions and rummage sales.

The only problem is my wife seems to get cranky when I dissapear down there for very long. She doesn't get too grumpy about it though because While she may or may not still find me handsome, "she still finds me handy"

I wonder if in real life, Steve Smith (Red Green) knows how to do anything?

24 X 48 with a 12 X 12 utility room on the back for air, heat and dust collection, soon to have a new 24 X 32 with a full drive under basement. It's full heated, plumbed and media-centered. In tribute to Rotax Robert and Eastie Joe, basically a Barage East. I usually do woodworking in it, but for the last few days, all I've used it for is drinking and working on saws. Rotax, Gypo and I like to work on these types of projects concurrently.

Draw an "X" on a map of MN, starting at the "corners"...you'll be pretty close to me where the lines cross...where the northern hardwoods begin to morph into the boreal forest types.

I feel justified in calling myself a "central MN resident", but to some people, towns like Anoka are just about the last outpost before "up north" starts. I'd say "up north" starts at towns like Baudette, Big Fork, or Maybe Ely.

now that's a shop Doug - I can only imagine of what 3 drunks such as yourselves have come up with in there in the last couple of days.:D

Doug,

That's definetly a sweet shop,but is the Kubota allowed to sleep in there as well.........:rolleyes: :D How's the clean up going at the lake?

later Rob

I think you'll have to specify, cleanup of the empties or trees!

yeah, no kidding! we're all eagerly awaiting how the big boys and the little fellas did! you all have better not passed out and postponed:)

(I just hope Gypo didnt get OSHA & EPA called on him) but I guess they could get away with telling them that he is a Canadian....:D

About 1/3 of my basement, about 500 sf, half for woodworking, the other half for metal working. Not nearly as neat as Doug's, but I do have a 3 hp Grizzly table saw, 50 year old sears jointer, dust collector, radial arm saw (Monkey Wards), drill press, air compressor, Milwaukee miter chop saw, 6" belt sander, 2 hp mini mill w/power feed, 3 hp Kalmazoo chop saw, etc. My youngest has a MIG welder (he's a ironworker), which gets me out of a jam once in a while. Oh yeah, then theres my garage for working on the CJ and snomobiles, got an overhead gas unit heater that will get it up to 70 in the dead of winter in about 15 minutes.

Back