What would you charge?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midwestguy1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I know there is a lot of factors that go into bid then pic gives. Need some feedback on what would cost t remove the tree. There is room to drop it but not at once. The base takes 2 people to touch hands hugging a tree. Doesn't have to be an exact just ballpark figure.

883c7e7a9d3a0c0000ae251d203826ab.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ball park figure in our area about $1,500, take it down, take everything away. You still need to quote it using your figures because everything is different in different areas. Your labor costs, insurance costs, equipment costs, how long it takes you, what kind of lawn damage is acceptable to the customer. You using a bucket or climbing, bombing big pieces or using a crane. No insurance, weekend warrior, some would be happy with a few hundred bucks for a Saturdays work, a legitimate tree company would go broke doing that. So many variables I could go on and on.

Was starting to sound like the "race to the bottom"... I don't do big removals, but if I had to I'd be between $1500-2000. There are guys around who would do it for $1000 (see aforementioned 'race').
I love the "race to the bottom" comment. I've told people that if they want a better price call 5 tree guys and tell them my price. Someone will beat it by $100. Then call 5 more and repeat the process. Then I explain what we are going to do, pad the trucks in, not bomb big pieces, we're insured, etc. If that doesn't have any value to someone, then every removal looks the same when it's done.

Gosh round her it's a 3500. Johnson County KS. 400 per hr is how I bid for previous companies I worked for.
I m not insured . Got bid at 2200. Finished it with 1 guy last night. asked because people say I bid to low. Stuffed it in 27ft Uhaul. 200 to dump less than 100 for the haul. It was all of 130 ft tall. Put 32 ft ladder on Uhaul roof and dropped it into 2 sections. I can barely walk today but knew that was coming.
This is not uncommon, only a few times people say no because of insurance. A lot of jobs I won't do for obvious reasons. I do Much smaller Removals without technicality, clear roofs tops, dead wood. I run into jobs often but every tree company in kc I ve worked with or for is trash. Owners either child molester or always doing shady business so I don't refer. If anyone is in area that is honest and does quality work. Lmk I'm not looking to make big commissions maybe throw some brush in chipper if in the same area or things like that.

Boy near me, I would have saved you the dump fee, is that a Fir? I don't know how many hardwoods you have in your area, but where I'm at D Fir is KING for Firewood, I cringe at a tree like that going to the Dump:(:(

I would have asked you to leave the pieces as long as possible, and bucked them and hauled them off for you. All too often, people that aren't cutting for themselves, cut odd lengths like 22-24" and I end up with a bunch of cutting and short pieces that wont stack. I also see a lot of off square cuts. Any time that I am given the choice, I will ask to leave the logs as long as possible, so I end up with square rounds of consistent lengths.

With the diameter of the trunk, that also would have been nice to mill some table tops out, and it went to the Dump :(:(:(, you are really ruining my day here;):(

Just curious, Why did they want it removed?, It appears healthy, and not in a place that appears to have much benefit in removing it, is it causing Foundation, Sewer or driveway damage with the roots? or maybe a hazard not apparent to me in the pics?

Doug :cheers:

Boy near me, I would have saved you the dump fee, is that a Fir? I don't know how many hardwoods you have in your area, but where I'm at D Fir is KING for Firewood, I cringe at a tree like that going to the Dump:(:(
Looks like a white pine to me. Don't know where the OP is exactly but given his screen name I assume he's not west of the great plains. In the east, pretty much all conifers are considered junk unless they're good enough for lumber. Only people who bother burning them are those with outdoor burners.

The $1500 figure being thrown around seems good to me. Probably a little high for my area actually. Looks like an easy take down based on the pic. Wires on the other side of the street, no big spread out branches, and doesn't appear to be in an area inclined to fussiness about manicured lawns.

Looks like a white pine to me. Don't know where the OP is exactly but given his screen name I assume he's not west of the great plains. In the east, pretty much all conifers are considered junk unless they're good enough for lumber. Only people who bother burning them are those with outdoor burners.

The OP's profile says he from Kansas City, KS, maybe around there Hardwoods are much more common, where I live on the SW Slope of Mt. Hood, in the Cascade Range, in Oregon Hardwoods are about as common as Unicorns, most of the Hardwoods we see are yard Tree removals. We wouldn't be burning much if we insisted on Hardwoods.

I would Love to see some of that Mythical Oak in my woodshed, but the Unicorns are more Frequent Visitors

Douglas Fir, Hemlock and when we can get it, Tamarack do just fine Heating our Home. While we were out of town for the New Years Holiday, was the ONLY Time that our Furnace was run all Winter. Forced Air Electric Heating is a real Budget Buster.

Yep, I would Gladly add a bunch of Hardwood to the shed, but I sure wouldn't call Conifers "Junk Wood" that junk wood keeps our home Very comfy, very economically, I have even had Lodgepole Pine heating our home, and have yet to have, or even know of ANYONE, having their house "Burned to the Ground" from burning Pine, or ANY Conifer, yet it seems that Ol' Wives Tale refuses to Die :(

The OP's profile says he from Kansas City, KS, maybe around there Hardwoods are much more common, where I live on the SW Slope of Mt. Hood, in the Cascade Range, in Oregon Hardwoods are about as common as Unicorns, most of the Hardwoods we see are yard Tree removals. We wouldn't be burning much if we insisted on Hardwoods.

I would Love to see some of that Mythical Oak in my woodshed, but the Unicorns are more Frequent Visitors

Douglas Fir, Hemlock and when we can get it, Tamarack do just fine Heating our Home. While we were out of town for the New Years Holiday, was the ONLY Time that our Furnace was run all Winter. Forced Air Electric Heating is a real Budget Buster.

Yep, I would Gladly add a bunch of Hardwood to the shed, but I sure wouldn't call Conifers "Junk Wood" that junk wood keeps our home Very comfy, very economically, I have even had Lodgepole Pine heating our home, and have yet to have, or even know of ANYONE, having their house "Burned to the Ground" from burning Pine, or ANY Conifer, yet it seems that Ol' Wives Tale refuses to Die :(

Yeah, in the east a lot of people think you shouldn't heat with conifers at all. I can't give it away, regardless of what it is. If it has needles, nobody wants it. It's just a regional thing. Makes sense in a way. In an area where nice hardwoods are plentiful it doesn't make sense to bother with conifers. I get so much good hardwood that I don't even bother heating my house with anything but hickory and white oak. I'm familiar with the use of Doug Fir, Tamarack, Red Fir, etc. for firewood though. I've got a buddy that I did tree work with for years that lives in MT now and I'm actually planning to move to Idaho later this year. Heating with conifers is gonna take some getting used to. :)

Yeah, in the east a lot of people think you shouldn't heat with conifers at all. I can't give it away, regardless of what it is. If it has needles, nobody wants it. It's just a regional thing. Makes sense in a way. In an area where nice hardwoods are plentiful it doesn't make sense to bother with conifers. I get so much good hardwood that I don't even bother heating my house with anything but hickory and white oak. I'm familiar with the use of Doug Fir, Tamarack, Red Fir, etc. for firewood though. I've got a buddy that I did tree work with for years that lives in MT now and I'm actually planning to move to Idaho later this year. Heating with conifers is gonna take some getting used to. :)

What part of ID, are you moving to?, There is some Beautiful Country up in the Panhandle, about the only thing that I don't like about that area, is that it is about a 10 hour drive to Coast, and I would miss Salmon Fishing and Crabbing Entirely Too Much. I don't get down there enough as it is, at about a 2.5 hour now.

What is inspiring the move to ID?

As a Truck Driver, I have spent a LOT of time delivering to Central/Eastern, Washington, and Western and Northern ID, especially Post Falls, CDA, and up to Sand Point, as well as the Nampa and Boise areas of lower ID.

Good Luck with the move,

Where u located? I have another one just like it except bigger diameter not as tall maybe 90fttall. I’m gonna remove in next 2 weeks. Limbs are size of small trees. I cut into lengths about 6ft and pull them up ramp into uhaul with another guy. 27ft uhaul tree is down and loaded in 4 hrs. Nobody around here wants it for firewood. Oak or hedge is all. Silver maple is looked at as trash wood. I split wood every night and give it away to those who need it. One day I’ll get a splitter.
I do tree work not by choice just cause it pays. have some past mistakes on record that lead me to working for tree companies. Every tree company owner I’ve worked for is a **** or child molester. I just work hard day in and day out. I started on my own because Zero tolerance child molester or be talked down to by anyone guess that comes from sitting in a box for period of time. I do what I say and keep my word. Business keeps coming a lot I turn down cause of technical or dangers of damage to someone else property. Never did anyone wrong that didn’t have it coming. I have seen tree company owners around here do people wrong. I speak up when I seen it. I don’t like conflict but when punched by owner or crew lead for calling out for shorting pay because a guy doesn’t speak good English have papers or cheating charging unnecessarily, couple of times they have regretted it. This area there is a lot of money and guys will take advantage of elderly folks with it. I could start posting company names right now but think getting knocked out in front of crew hopefully was enough. Sorry I go off about tree company owners.
I joined this site to learn more, but I keep pretty basic in my work. Anyways If in area be more than happy to give wood to you. Heck I’ll even keep it at house till u can pick it up.

She had gutter guards but the fill up still with mud. She insisted on removal. All bids were 1000 to 1500 higher

Latest posts

Back