White Cedar Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SawS

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Has anyone used white cedar in their woodstove? I have always burned only hardwoods in ours, but I removed two white cedars the other day, and I guess theres at least a full cord of wood there. This stuff sure smells good. I've read that the heat value is low and it doesn't coal, but I thought if I mixed it in with the hardwood, I could get more milage from the woodpile. Think that'll work?? Thanks for any input, and sorry being off-topic, but I thought this would be a good place to get an answer!

Not sure about white cedar but I always cut a red cedar to split into kindling. I don't waste a bit of it, I strip the twigs and limbs leaves and all for very fine kindling, cut the trunk into chunks then split it into the kindling. It catches fire really easily and burns quickly, perfect for getting your oak on the go. I'd guess that white cedar might be fit for the same use.

I live in California and we don't have that wood here. We do have something called incense cedar and I do burn that. I have an air tight stove and it is my only heat. It does get into the teens here and sometimes lower so it is fairly cold in the Winter. I use the cedar to get a fire going and get a quick heat to take the chill off. It does not last like oak, or other hardwood but it is hot. For some reason the cedar will burn well even if wet. I think it has to do with the oil/resin content. I think your idea is a good one. The cedar does not leave much ash so that is a plus. Mike

You go rupedoggy

Agree with rupedoggy.

Not quite as hot as oak but hot burns easy and leaves little ash

I just gotta post another ebay auction ......

Originally posted by rupedoggy
It does get into the teens here and sometimes lower so it is fairly cold in the Winter. Mike

I had frost this morning on my windows...d@mn I wished I lived in Cali. Snow is less than 2000m feet above me at this point.....I am coming to sleep in your basement Roop....

There aren't many basements in California

Makes it easier for the house to slide around during an earthquake.:blob2:

You can hang out in the loft or crash in the pool house.:D

That darn frost does havok on my Macadamian, Carob, and Avocado trees. Orange, lemon trees seem to handle it well.

aw dennis you mean to tell us you don't like the cold wet snow??? i sell red ceder down here to the yuppies for $425 a cord, now granted i rarley sell a full cord of it a one time to some one but they really like it down here for the smell. i get about 2-3 cords worth of it a year and i always sell out in no time. it does burn fast and like every one else has said it makes GREAT kindling:D
just my two cents worth:angel:

Also have some white cedar in my wood stock much of it slabs left over from milling, it makes great kindling. It is easy to light and because it drys quickly it burns hot and fast getting the bigger stuff going. (relativly low heat value similar to butternut or basswood)

On the up side it smells nice and makes lots of snaping and crackling when you burn it, just watch as it tends to toss hot embers if you burn it in an open fire place.

My thought is any dry wood burns, if it burns it produces heat, if it produces heat they deduct $$$ from my propane bill !

I do save the oak, maple, and ironwood for the cold -20 nights and burn lower heat energy wood when its not too cold.

I also try to plan my wood pile for the year so that the good wood is piled in the middle rows. That way in the fall and spring you burn the poplar and other stuff and when its coldest in Jan-Feb your burning the dence hardwoods that produce more heat and burn longer into the night leaving coals to relight from in the morning.

Timberwolf

Latest posts

Back