Who the Heck Steals Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem is you really cant do much about it now without being the cops first guy to qustion. Hopefully there wont be a next time but if there is dont tell anyone about it. Let a little time pass and get even. Then the only person that can rat you out when you get even is yourself.:D

First off, I second what manyhobies said about your keeping your cool. You have excercised lots of control by not doing anything you'll later regret. As you mentioned, thinking of your family first was a good idea.

Around my neck of the woods, the county sherriffs have jurisdiction when it isn't in a town.

My advice is to file a police report, with the sherriff, or whoever has jurisdiction. Whether anything comes of it or not, at least you've got it on record for the future. You should get your farmer friend, who saw him on the property, with firewood in his truck, to add that part and sign his name as a witness. Finally, you should make a formal request that the police investigate your report, which I believe they are required to do. All this will put the thief on notice that:
1) You know he did it
2) The farmer knows he did it
3) The police know about the situation and that both you and the farmer both think he did it.
4) You won't hesitate to report him if he does it again.

If you later took him to small claims court, you could also submit the police report as part of the record.

Eventually, the thief is going to get the message not to f**k with you, or he might have to deal with the authorities. Not too many thieves want that.

And you are doing everything thru legal channels, so there is no chance you'll be the one who ends up in trouble.

Who the heck steals? A low-life loser.

Although revenge would justified, you should probably be really careful. The authorities know that you suspect him, so if anything happens to him or his property you could end up in trouble. He'll get his in kind. Karma can be a beast.

Around my shop if it isn't nailed down it will be gone in 24 hours. I get them on camera but unless I can get the plate number the local leo's won't bother. Combine that with if my alarm goes off the alarm co has to send someone out to verify a problem before calling leos, and as the Leo's made a big splash about in the public media a couple years back when they started this all the perps know it. Free pickings for them. It has cost me around 10 G's over the last 3 years. Nailed a couple repeaters but no restitution. Then there is the insurance side, make a couple claims- they won't renew. Yesterday lost about 20 pallets (40x48) broad daylight , it was one of those days where everything went south and that was just the icing on the cake. It is a universal problem and of course if you do anything to activly defend your property you are the bad guy. Go figure.

Around my shop if it isn't nailed down it will be gone in 24 hours. I get them on camera but unless I can get the plate number the local leo's won't bother. Combine that with if my alarm goes off the alarm co has to send someone out to verify a problem before calling leos, and as the Leo's made a big splash about in the public media a couple years back when they started this all the perps know it. Free pickings for them. It has cost me around 10 G's over the last 3 years. Nailed a couple repeaters but no restitution. Then there is the insurance side, make a couple claims- they won't renew. Yesterday lost about 20 pallets (40x48) broad daylight , it was one of those days where everything went south and that was just the icing on the cake. It is a universal problem and of course if you do anything to activly defend your property you are the bad guy. Go figure.

Sucks! it double sucks because you can't be watching your stuff 24/7 and still go work elsewhere, plus like sleep, etc.

That really stinks. If you have any indication it is your wood, just confront him with your buddy who saw him.

Lots of good suggestions here and some I wouldn't use. ;)

It was definitely a great idea to have the landowner confront him rather than you and now he lost his access privileges due to his thievery. As others said I doubt you would get the wood back under any circumstances so he won a battle but lost the war.

Best one i have ever heard was boring a hole and installing sulfur then plugging hole, along the same line was skunk scent from the sporting goods departments. Neither are lethal or cause permanent damage. Both will linger a long time. I would love to be proactive but that doesn't fly well in today's society.
Many many years ago I got off work, walking to my car, to find some j-------s ripping it off, Gee officer I slipped and fell into that car door ( 64 ford Galaxie 500 2 door, huge long heavy door) broke both his legs. Barely wiggled out of that. There had been a serious string of car break ins and theft in the preceding weeks to this event Which magically stopped there after. Wasn't particular cheap getting the door repaired either. It was a very large dent

Two days later a big bunch of Poison Ivy fell out of a tree and I just pushed it up with a blade to look like a nice pile of brush at the corner of my yard..

You know, that's not a bad idea. Non-fatal but annoying enough to make ya feel good. So OP, are you allergic to Poison Ivy? Know someone who's not? Just throw some in the bed of the thief's truck one day. Wipe a branch on the doorknob maybe, or the steering wheel of the pickup. Dump some in his fishing waders or in the pair of gloves left in his truck.

Someone stole the US flag from in front of our house along with the pole it was attached to last month. I'm almost calm enough to put the replacement up. Guess it's time to install security cameras.

I'm not excusing wood thieves or making light of your situation but your asking for trouble by keeping your time and hard work sitting around on someone else's property .why in the world would you take that chance and assume it will always be there .. I never leave firewood behind .thats begging for theft ..It's too labor intensive to give away to random passerbys

I'm not excusing wood thieves or making light of your situation but your asking for trouble by keeping your time and hard work sitting around on someone else's property .why in the world would you take that chance and assume it will always be there .. I never leave firewood behind .thats begging for theft ..It's too labor intensive to give away to random passerbys

Same here. If I do have to leave some it will be in big rounds that a theif will at least have to bust down to load.

Harry K

I've heard of firewood being drilled, filled with black powder, then plugged......

I wouldn't do that. Much as it would be interesting karma for the thief, you don't know where the wood actually winds up. Could be the wood thief resells the wood.

Also, the man would come down on you hard for a booby trap like that. Just too much chance of getting an innocent person hurt, plus go to the slammer for a long time.

I thought of something. Leave something for the thief to steal that isn't wood, but something they would grab, with a gps tracker hidden and installed inside of it.

Another thought on exploding booby traps. Please don't do this as you have a pretty good chance of getting an innocent person. My wife got a very severe burn over the weekend and nobody should have to deal with that. Especially if it was someone's kid who will have to wear that scar forever, or worse.

Back