Wood burning AND Gas log Fireplace - Is it possible?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valleykid

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
We are building a new home and want a fireplace mainly for atmosphere not for heat source. Architecturally the house will have a big masonry chimney. 90% of the time we want to flip a switch and see a gas log burning. 10% of the time, probably at the holidays, we would like to burn wood logs. I am willing to spend an hour or so switching from one system to another, connecting or disconnecting equipment. Is this feasible and is it safe?

Building a masonry chimney and fireplace is a big expense for what you’re trying to achieve but you probably know that and just like the look of brick. I would just go with the gas log set full time, burning wood in an open fireplace is senseless too me.

I’d think with enough money, you can get whatever you want! I doubt there’s any ‘switching around’ of stuff involved, insurance companies don’t like wood heat now as it is.....
I’d think the cost of a chimney will be a lot more for wood, those gas units can vent through a piece of plastic pipe or something like dryer vent.
My neighbours new house burnt down just as construction was finishing as they installed a wood burning fireplace insert but accidentally used a gas insert chimney. Not sure how that blunder happened but I’m sure someone had some ‘splanin’ to do.
Other neighbour has a dual fuel outdoor boiler. Now that’s nice. Load it up with green wood and the oil burner will eventually light up the wood

Building a masonry chimney and fireplace is a big expense for what you’re trying to achieve but you probably know that and just like the look of brick. I would just go with the gas log set full time, burning wood in an open fireplace is senseless too me.
Thanks for the advice. You are correct we are going for the look of a big masonry chimney, trying to replicate an Art & Crafts home of the 1920s. Either gas or wood would require a glass door right? It also seems wasteful to have a wood fire in a new home that is built uber tight and energy efficient. The romantic in me wants a wood fire but Mr. Spock says it is folly.

I’d think with enough money, you can get whatever you want! I doubt there’s any ‘switching around’ of stuff involved, insurance companies don’t like wood heat now as it is.....
I’d think the cost of a chimney will be a lot more for wood, those gas units can vent through a piece of plastic pipe or something like dryer vent.
My neighbours new house burnt down just as construction was finishing as they installed a wood burning fireplace insert but accidentally used a gas insert chimney. Not sure how that blunder happened but I’m sure someone had some ‘splanin’ to do.
Other neighbour has a dual fuel outdoor boiler. Now that’s nice. Load it up with green wood and the oil burner will eventually light up the wood
Thanks for your advice. It is true a fool and his money are soon parted especially with heating schemes. I'm trying not to be the fool. Maybe I'll succeed maybe not! The insurance is a good point I had not considered. I was thinking of making it possible to burn wood to future proof it for the next owner in 30 years. Reasoning it's easier to burn gas in a wood designed chimney & flue than the other way around. I've seen those outdoor boilers. Very safe and that nice wood burning smell in the neighborhood.

Welcome to the forum valleykid. A buddy and his wife just bought a house probably built in the 1920's ranch and it has a wood- gas fire place with a masonry brick chimney. I would bet the gas was added later maybe not. It has glass doors. He took the gas logs out and put the wood cradle which came with the house back in and has been burning wood. The way this one is set up most of the heat goes up the chimney.

Welcome to the forum valleykid. A buddy and his wife just bought a house probably built in the 1920's ranch and it has a wood- gas fire place with a masonry brick chimney. I would bet the gas was added later maybe not. It has glass doors. He took the gas logs out and put the wood cradle which came with the house back in and has been burning wood. The way this one is set up most of the heat goes up the chimney.
Good to know. Inefficient but romantic. :) If I ever do one with a conversion I think I would want two gas valves in the line with one far from the flames so I could bleed the line.

In my previous house, there was a HUGE central masonry FP with heatilator built-in that had a nice gas log set in it when I bought it. Didn't work right (replaced bad thermocouple) to get it running then promptly pulled it out to use the way it was intended. I now know how much air they suck out but I still love using FP in the current house for "fun" and atmosphere.

FWIW: I capped the black line in the box, the shut-off valve was in the basement below and I disconnected & capped it BEFORE the valve as well.
It could easily be converted back, although I was never going to do so, & left the log set with the house. Most newer & neighborhood-type houses in my area in PA have only gas FP as well.

IF you are putting in masonry, my 2 cents is to go all the way. But I was the only house on my street to put one in my original house that I spec'ed 27y/ago as well.

In my previous house, there was a HUGE central masonry FP with heatilator built-in that had a nice gas log set in it when I bought it. Didn't work right (replaced bad thermocouple) to get it running then promptly pulled it out to use the way it was intended. I now know how much air they suck out but I still love using FP in the current house for "fun" and atmosphere.

FWIW: I capped the black line in the box, the shut-off valve was in the basement below and I disconnected & capped it BEFORE the valve as well.
It could easily be converted back, although I was never going to do so, & left the log set with the house. Most newer & neighborhood-type houses in my area in PA have only gas FP as well.

IF you are putting in masonry, my 2 cents is to go all the way. But I was the only house on my street to put one in my original house that I spec'ed 27y/ago as well.
Thanks. I like the way you capped off the gas so NO WAY it would cause an issue. Masonry is already a given we just need to decide if we go all the way to support wood burning. Leaning that way but it will cost more than 2 cents. :)

You could make the masonry flue big enough to put a single wall stainless pipe inside it. That is how I converted my old unlined, nat gas furnace flue into a wood stove flue. I used a condensing furnace and forced draft water heater, both with pvc intake and exhaust so flue was available for wood, but not in proper condition. Stainless liner solves the buildup, smaller and better draft, and gets the pipe up to hot temperature way faster than masonry. Little condensation or creosote. Takes an hour to heat up, but with my small stove masonry on the outside would never ever heat up and I’d probably never draft, or condensate moisture would freeze at the top. Didn’t need triple wall pipe as the inside of the flue is no fire danger.

Edit: I have never owned nor operated a fireplace, nor do I want to, so I don’t know if this applies to your situation.

Back