Wood haulers??????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dad's '97 Z71 with a Vortec 5.7 gets 17-19 on the road, 14-16 mixed, 13-15 in town and 8-14 pulling. It's been a hell of a truck but with 202K it's starting to show it's age electrically and mechanically... It may become a motorized wheelbarrow before too long.

I had a 97 with a 5.7 vortec and it would pull around 17mpg on the highway about 15 around town but it would drop anywhere from 9-6 mpg when I towed with it. It was the best truck I ever had. I just needed to get into a 3/4 ton.

Dad's would do better if it had a bit more compression and IF it could tow in overdrive. Unfortunately, even with better parts, the 4l60E wasn't designed to tow in overdrive... His tuck would be a lot better off with a 6.5 turbo diesel and a 4l80E or manual trans. They weren't a Cummins, PSD or Duramax, but with a few tweaks, they were a solid dependable engine with decent power and good mileage.

Just a PSA

:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

0a63dd53844d42be63194bf5df8f9a18.jpg

Me and my dad changing fluids.
59b5230cca88713c0406025473bd1b86.jpg

Left me stranded the other day. Thought it was the fuel pump. Turns out I don't think the fuel filter has ever been changed. It was completely stoped up. Changed that and off we go again. Even has a cold a/c!

Thanks

Not very good shots of my current wood hauler, but it tows great. 2013 GMC 1500 with the towing package - 405 HP 6.2 with the large rear-end and 3.73 gears. I really miss my old wood hauler (1993 FJZ80 Landcruiser) but I don't when I am pulling a loaded trailer. Ron

View attachment 455771 View attachment 455773
The 80 series Landcruiser is my favorite!

The 80 series Landcruiser is my favorite!

Me too. Pulling the same trailer in pouring rain in December 2012, I heard a little scratching noise and thought it was just briers... it wasn't. I had turned into a locust stump! I drove it daily since new for almost 21 years, 270k+ miles. Factory lockers front and rear - a real beast. I would love to have it back, but I would have to live in it if I brought it home. Ron

IMG_2413-1.JPG

Me too. Pulling the same trailer in pouring rain in December 2012, I heard a little scratching noise and thought it was just briers... it wasn't. I had turned into a locust stump! I drove it daily since new for almost 21 years, 270k+ miles. Factory lockers front and rear - a real beast. I would love to have it back, but I would have to live in it if I brought it home. Ron

View attachment 455803

That's a no brainer, bring it home. What motor did that Toyota have? I'm familiar with Toyota pickups, but not those.

View attachment 450864 View attachment 450863 2014 Chevy 1500 with the 4.3, pulling my 16 foot utility trailer. With the trailer and bed full I usually end up with 3-4 cord when it's all cut and split.
Great pics...btw is that top pic mockernut hickory?
Just now noticing how you're utilizing those pallets...I've long wanted a utility trailer, but the fact that most of them had only low height railing...YET this opens another world of possibilities!

Thanks Mives...you rock bro!:rock:

This a load of white oak the covers 14 feet of the 16 feet flat portion of my trailer at least three feet deep.

I only towed it about 2.5 miles.

What do you think it weighed?

Attachments

• ExplorerLogLoadlastoneweb.jpg
    ExplorerLogLoadlastoneweb.jpg
    402.5 KB · Views: 33
  • log (2).jpg
    log (2).jpg
    647.2 KB · Views: 36
Back