wow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The tree has been dead two years. Wonder what took so long to get it down. Most likely looking for the lowest of the low ballers to get the cheapest rate and they probaly found it. Big trees like that are sure way to go broke slowly if you don't get the right amount of money for them. I have tangled with my share of them over the years . Too much work goes into trees like that and the return is not all that good ,seems the bigger the tree the cheaper the prices become to get them down. Seems like some companies or individuals price these giant trees just to stay busy or do it on purpose so the competition does not get the work. Just don't make sense to me and never has. This aspect of the business hasn't changed in the 30 some odd years I have been doing this.

ah the ol 2 bull rope head yank, that was my trick when I was worried one may fail or not keep the momentum going nuff I often rig a fast hand held side pull rope to keep the tension on a main bull line winch or tie off to keep it going well past tipping point

I use the 2 rope method when I have to pull over a tree perpendicular to its lean, and the tree is dead or just a species that tends to be snappy. I set the first rope opposite the lean, usually with the biggest rope I've got and a lot of mechanical advantage (10:1 or so) and crank it until the top shifts just an inch or two - enough so that it has the weight of the tree. I try to set the anchor far far away from the tree so the arc the rope describes will be generous, otherwise the rope will swing the tree towards the anchor as it goes.

The second rope is just a normal pull rope. Having a support rope means the hinge won't side snap.

Shaun

Big trees like that are sure way to go broke slowly if you don't get the right amount of money for them.

+1

There's money in them if you have the right gear though, and a steady supply of work. If you've got 2 or 3 crews, a couple of big chippers, mini or two and your own crane you sure can get a lot of work done, fast! I've got a buddy with a pretty big setup and he gets a lot of government work. I'm always shocked when he tells me the money he puts on the jobs which is crazy low, but having so much work coming in, and so much gear and workers he turns over enough to do quite well for himself. It's a high stress situation for the man in the hot seat though, you can't get out of that chair for a moment.

Shaun

The tree has been dead two years. Wonder what took so long to get it down. Most likely looking for the lowest of the low ballers to get the cheapest rate and they probaly found it. Big trees like that are sure way to go broke slowly if you don't get the right amount of money for them. I have tangled with my share of them over the years . Too much work goes into trees like that and the return is not all that good ,seems the bigger the tree the cheaper the prices become to get them down. Seems like some companies or individuals price these giant trees just to stay busy or do it on purpose so the competition does not get the work. Just don't make sense to me and never has. This aspect of the business hasn't changed in the 30 some odd years I have been doing this.

Well wonder no more cause I am gonna tell you what you allready know: No normal person wants to pay to deal with something like that. First he is going to pretend it doesn't exist, put it in the back of his mind and ponder ways to do it himself maybe, to get it done like a magic trick. He will do that until the little swelling itch on his rectum won't be satisfied by just a scratch and has become a full blown bleeding hemeroid ( this takes about two years of fitful ass scratching sleep as normal people are stubborn) that only a doctor can remove so he looks for the cheapest one...

No, I wouldn't try to wrangle that tree for much less than a mint. I wonder why so many guys stomp over each trying to be the lowest bidder on stuff like that. I mean, do you ask what the doctor charges to cut off a hemerioid? No. You just pay him and go on.

or do it on purpose so the competition does not get the work.

I think you hit the nail right on the head with that. I just bid a job for a small municipality that required gen. liability and comp to be in the bid process. It was sealed bid. Well, they didn't like any of the bids so they lower the requirements to nothing. I heard today that the idiots that got the job said they didn't care what they made as long as they took it away from that ####### McKee.

I think you hit the nail right on the head with that. I just bid a job for a small municipality that required gen. liability and comp to be in the bid process.

Is that legal? Here in aus, gov departments must use qualified and insured contractors, it's part if their duty of care. Same is true for pretty much all commercial work, it's only residential where hacks can even get their foot in the door

I think you hit the nail right on the head with that. I just bid a job for a small municipality that required gen. liability and comp to be in the bid process. It was sealed bid. Well, they didn't like any of the bids so they lower the requirements to nothing. I heard today that the idiots that got the job said they didn't care what they made as long as they took it away from that ####### McKee.

Wow so people in the real world say the same thing about ya ! :hmm3grin2orange: just kidding you ####### McKee.

Wow so people in the real world say the same thing about ya ! :hmm3grin2orange: just kidding you ####### McKee.

I am sure I get called that a lot. There are competitors of mine that think I have two or three crews working but really its just me and a full time and sometimes a part time guy. Lately its jus been me. For the life of me I can't understand with as many people are out of work that I can not find a good employee. Called to put a help wanted ad in the paper yesturday and they wanted $85 for a week to run the ad.

I am sure I get called that a lot. There are competitors of mine that think I have two or three crews working but really its just me and a full time and sometimes a part time guy. Lately its jus been me. For the life of me I can't understand with as many people are out of work that I can not find a good employee. Called to put a help wanted ad in the paper yesturday and they wanted $85 for a week to run the ad.

They are unemployed because they want to be unemployed

They are unemployed because they want to be unemployed

I have the classic annoying jackass at the moment. I dumped him off at the shop at 12:30 yesterday (while dropping off chipper). I told him we would finish loading up the wood and that he could go home and catch up on his texting. It felt good. One more moment of looking at him and that ####ing phone, and I swear to god he would've found his way into the chipper.

I have the classic annoying jackass at the moment. I dumped him off at the shop at 12:30 yesterday (while dropping off chipper). I told him we would finish loading up the wood and that he could go home and catch up on his texting. It felt good. One more moment of looking at him and that ####ing phone, and I swear to god he would've found his way into the chipper.

He just trying to be like the bahhman you know be a binny man :hmm3grin2orange:

When promoting your business in a video, you might want to:
1. Have your guys wear uniforms.
2. Have your guys wear PPE.
3. Not emphasize the fact that you got lucky and didn't take out the power.
4. Not take out the neighbor's mailbox
5. Not drop a tree in the road
6. Not call your business "Monster" tree service. Might as well change the name to Meathead Tree Service.
Did I miss anything?

Latest posts

Back