wow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have not read the whole thread so this may have been said before...

That job would have been cake with a crane. No risk to power lines or the little maple either. Less than 8 hours of work. They probably did not have that in the budget though. I would bid 3500-4000 on that.

I knew somebody would say it lol

Its sad but thats a 1500 tree around here tops. All day climbing and rigging down, dump the spar and slice er up..............

I can think of 2 local operations (with own cranes) who would crane that out for under 2 grand.

Hard to believe, when crane rental is 300/hour

I knew somebody would say it lol

Its sad but thats a 1500 tree around here tops. All day climbing and rigging down, dump the spar and slice er up..............

I can think of 2 local operations (with own cranes) who would crane that out for under 2 grand.

Hard to believe, when crane rental is 300/hour

Its thaty way here too but I ain't going to work like a dog for a bone profit.

I am sorry but I like those boys, their getting ur done, that's for sure. Lots of people wouldn't even do those trees. I can't say I'd like to climb that dead cottonwood my self. I don't like live ones to much.
I did a lot of tree work like that back in the day during the bark beetle out break in the early 80's. We use to break bull lines all the time, and when I think back to all the near misses and straight luck shots we had on a weekly basis on big wood, learning as we went lots of time, I know tree guys must have specail angels watching over them. We should of been dead or destroyed a 100 cabins, but some how nothing ever happened.
Having more balls then brains is a trait of the young, I wouldn't do that kind of work today, but I think I know where their coming from. I just hope they make it in one peice to be able to look back.
That guy on the ropes keeps that climber alive, I hope he doesn't leave.

Last edited:
I am sorry but I like those boys, their getting ur done, that's for sure. Lots of people wouldn't even do those trees. I can't say I'd like to climb that dead cottonwood my self. I don't like live ones to much.
I did a lot of tree work like that back in the day during the bark beetle out break in the early 80's. We use to break bull lines all the time, and when I think back to all the near misses and straight luck shots we had on a weekly basis on big wood, learning as we went lots of time, I know tree guy must have specail angels watching over them. We should of been dead or destroyed a 100 cabins, but some how nothing ever happened.
Having more balls then brains is a trait of the young, I wouldn't do that kind of work today, but I think I know where their coming from. I just hope they make it in one peice to be able to look back.
That guy on the ropes keeps that climber alive, I hope he doesn't leave.

Ya that's why I couldn't just poke fun at him. He's only a pulley and a rigging block away. Those are some nasty trees that I would hang big price tags on. A lot of guys won't do them like you said and sometimes you can get some real coin out of them. That first video would have been Round 7g's for me to be pulling myself up there.

Ya that's why I couldn't just poke fun at him. He's only a pulley and a rigging block away. Those are some nasty trees that I would hang big price tags on. A lot of guys won't do them like you said and sometimes you can get some real coin out of them. That first video would have been Round 7g's for me to be pulling myself up there.

I was thinking around 7g's too. Maybe less if I could get a crane in there. If their doing them as cheap as some say, they don't have time to set up a rigging block. Cheaper to just replace the rope I bet. I don't see how anyone could do a tree like that for less then 4000.00 and make any money. But money aside, I'd tack on a grand or two for the risk factor a lone.

Man, you guys are harsh. The tree cleared the power lines with PLENTY of room to spare. The upper branches just gave the lines a light strumming. Power lines can take a good solid "twang". What's the difference between a light strumming and a twang? It's what we like to call an adequate margin of safety. :laugh:

As for the boat, I don't have a clue!! :msp_confused:

Doug

Man, you guys are harsh. The tree cleared the power lines with PLENTY of room to spare. The upper branches just gave the lines a light strumming. Power lines can take a good solid "twang". What's the difference between a light strumming and a twang? It's what we like to call an adequate margin of safety. :laugh:

As for the boat, I don't have a clue!! :msp_confused:

Doug

really? how about the fire hydrant he nearly took out around here that's around 10 grand in fines and replacement cost. Is that worth the risk?

send em down big let it run,,, gutsy or foolish this is determined by team judgement and some luck twas impressive to watch a wee scary if was my homes roof under all that limb wood.

Seems odd to dismantle a big dead one without crane or bucket when access was easy nuff & caving up and disposing of all that tonnage would been back breaking a crane truck lift away far cheaper less effort

What was with the boat shipping its moorings?? was it chocks away with the felled trunk thump.

Oh I get it ! The name Monster is taken from the energy drink and they are using the logo for their business? How clever! Its not meth, they're all hopped up and caffeine and sugar- the backbone of every industrious young man.

The Monster Army is coming.

Oh I get it ! The name Monster is taken from the energy drink and they are using the logo for their business? How clever! Its not meth, they're all hopped up and caffeine and sugar- the backbone of every industrious young man.

The Monster Army is coming.

I like seeing youngsters with grit even if they always seem to over rate themselves and seem to get followers . Many are thrill-seekers, just as many of us started this game, so though they may be green and wet under their ears and cover it up by puffing ego smoke, they got backbone. Now question is; when will they learn the rest of the tree game, will it be before they are past their prime or will they get smart sooner? I now wish I would have got a masters in botany or forestry!

I thought everything was going well until i saw the 2 ropes hoked to the truck and the bobcat, I was thinking o #### they are going to pull that thing over. It must of hit the ground so hard it sent that boat into the street, and where are the nighbors at i would think they would be out there razing holly hell with all that crap in their yards. And the power lines ? They dont know how close they came to a nightmare. Guy around here hit the power lines last year pulling one over, He was a sub working for a landscaper i know. 1 transformer and 2 poles broken wire came off 3 poles total- wire landed on a car waiting to cross through the road. No one was hurt. City had to work all night to repair lines, i was told $22000.00 in repair cost by the landscaper. The sub DID have insurance. I ground the stumps the next day.

ah the ol 2 bull rope head yank, that was my trick when I was worried one may fail or not keep the momentum going nuff I often rig a fast hand held side pull rope to keep the tension on a main bull line winch or tie off to keep it going well past tipping point

Latest posts

Back