wow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
big pieces of wood to be rigging on a dead tree
almost crushed the fire hydrant
is that the road they dropped the tree on, def left a mark, probably not a good idea
also def the lowest bid, looks like they had to get the tree down quickly, probably the lowest bid by a lot
the climber isn't a meth head, he looked like knew what he was doing, as far as rigging and cutting,

gave me goosebumps watching it

is it safe to be climbing a tree that dead when bark is pealing off of it?

If I didn't climb old dead trees with bark peeling of of em I'd starve to death!
Every dead tree is a judgement call. They just turned a two day tree into a one day tree. Don't have a problem with the drop, except the trim wasn't quite done yet. Was a good groundie though.

I will say that it actually held my undivided attention for the entire video which is very rare esp for a 7 min one. I dont think it was so bad. I wouldnt have dropped that spar...er...half the tree...or whatever like that. And I sure the hell wouldnt put it on line even if it didnt graze the lines. As for the maple, it was just luck. He figured why cut it down cuz it may actually make it and that would be sweet for the video. If it gets smashed then edit around it. I bet he told the HO it would prolly be a goner. And I also suspect the HO said "no problem" (because the price the HO got would easily buy some more trees)

Fuk'n A, I think he's in the clear, this is directly from the website...
"Some companies won’t let you have any gear unless you’re on the payroll. We’re all about our fans rockin’ the Monster logo the way they want - on hats, shirts, MX bikes, trucks, gear, or even on themselves. Our idea of a promotion isn’t giving away a TV you already got. Our promos offer exclusive VIP access, insane trips hanging with top musicians, athletes, and real gear like dirt bikes, snowboards, BMX bikes, rims and helmets."
.... that's pretty damn cool of them...

Cottonwoods have very little holding wood in my opinion the last one I did had not leafed out in a year and it was ok. I climb dead elms all the time and the worst part about them is they are hard to spike and the flip line has nothing to grab on with no bark. I use bore cuts to check integrity and if it is real sketchy like a long dead white pine I tie in to something else and if I can't I don't climb it my life is worth more than I will make on any tree.

I will say that it actually held my undivided attention for the entire video which is very rare esp for a 7 min one. I dont think it was so bad. I wouldnt have dropped that spar...er...half the tree...or whatever like that. And I sure the hell wouldnt put it on line even if it didnt graze the lines. As for the maple, it was just luck. He figured why cut it down cuz it may actually make it and that would be sweet for the video. If it gets smashed then edit around it. I bet he told the HO it would prolly be a goner. And I also suspect the HO said "no problem" (because the price the HO got would easily buy some more trees)

That whole deal was a botch job. There is not a man in my organization that would survive termination for that job.

Did they leave the ball cart next to the mailbox to protect it, or just forgot about it? P.S. the only thing the climber had was balls, and a little skill very little.

I still am curious about the boat,,:msp_confused:
Jeff :biggrin:

I am wondering the same thing. Im thinking the thud was enough to get it rolling or part of the explosion knocked the wheel block from the tire.

I still am curious about the boat,,:msp_confused:
Jeff :biggrin:

It was very weird that the boat just started to roll. I would have chunked it down to the main truck before pulling it over just to help reduce the mess. Ever time I go do a dead tree removal I remember quickly why I hate dead removals the most.

You know it's kind of a shame. It took a fair amount of skill to do what they did. But then again they half assed so much and took a lot of chances. Probably the way they were trained. I think also lots of people put speed above safety. That tree would of took me two days(without a crane) They didn't waste no time with blocks or fancy rigging, straight caved man that sucker.
Though I don't think a lot of what they did was safe, miscalculating the height of that tree and cutting it so close(it could of went either way)to those wires, shows someone in charge shouldn't be. You know what they call a near miss in the tree business,"perfect".
I'ed like to have that climber. with some polishing, he would be pretty good.

That whole deal was a botch job. There is not a man in my organization that would survive termination for that job.
ehhh I guess. Considering it had easy crane crane access (or so it appeared,there may have been a low bridge or something). All I am saying is the roping didnt look to bad.

ehhh I guess. Considering it had easy crane crane access (or so it appeared,there may have been a low bridge or something). All I am saying is the roping didnt look to bad.

Biggest mistakes in my view ppe, cut one limb into another and knocked debris toward roof,then after big balls taking weight off did not take the time to get spar to reasonable height. Mail box will need replaced as well as guys underware loading boat. I see young cocky attitude but then many of us went through that phase good thing some of us lived. I think my bid would have included a lift or crane large enough for that job as my balls have shrunk over the years some :)

I agree the roping did not look that bad to me I would have fishing poled that tree and used a couple of crotches to disperse the force to be safe.

Other then brusing the wires , whoopty frigan doo ! And giving a 30 dollar mailbox a ##### slap , I'd say monster tree took a big bite outta that trees' ass LOL :laugh:

I know absolutely nothing about what it takes to Bring down a tree at a professional level. I am therefor ignorant. Sometimes "ignorance is bliss". Because i was able to enjoy the crap out'a that video :rock:

I know absolutely nothing about what it takes to Bring down a tree at a professional level. I am therefor ignorant. Sometimes "ignorance is bliss". Because i was able to enjoy the crap out'a that video :rock:

Then why are you here... didnt read the sign at the door?

The reason I Think they are muts is they risked their asses off on a dead tree climbing out on dead limbs when they represent the largest lever and when they go to the point when the tree was at its safest point to work in they stopped and dropped it as is... to me this means they are looking only at the payout, or spending the payout and not the lasting affect such a job could have had on there business either good or bad.

I agree the roping did not look that bad to me I would have fishing poled that tree and used a couple of crotches to disperse the force to be safe.

He was rippin over chunks of wood, tells me he's a rookie. Put a small notch in the direction you want them to tip then your not fighting the tree. Also not using the half hitch before the bowline tells me he's self taught. Yes with a little polish he would improve, cause he got the nerve.

Am I seeing something different or was the notch at least 2/3 of that stump?! 3 minutes to slam and 5 hours to rake. They must have figured out the height of that tree while it was standing cause they wouldn't have gotten the height of it on the ground unless they measured from the stump to the power lines and added a few feet!!!!:laugh:

Last edited:
Back