• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy FOUND WtB good running 028

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danimall

Reaction score
Hello all I'm new to the site and recently a new homeowner with lots of tall hardwoods on my property. I have an old 041av E that runs and cuts ok but it's a heavy old dog, I'd like something more versatile and safer and I think the 028av super would be a great middle saw that can cut 18" oaks and also limb with. I'd prefer a newer cleaner model but willing to check out any good running model. If anyone has any comments or recommendations I'm open to advice, I'm not completely familiar with every spec and detail of every model but I'm pretty wrench smart and pretty fond of stihl

I got a 1979 028 Super AV that I just did a complete restoration on. Here is what I did to it.

New piston and cylinder, new crank bearings, new crank seals, all new crankcase gaskets, new 16” Raisman Bar and .325 full chisel chain. Installed new rope and handle on the recoil starter assembly. Crankcase and rear handle were repainted the original color. Front handle was repainted black. I also painted the raised lettering on the chain brake handle white as it contrasts with the black. Cleaned up and reinstalled the top cover and starter housing name badges. I cleaned up the top cover and air filter cover and clear coated them to restore their shine.

If your interested shoot me a text (269)340-7521

Best Regards,

Dave

Hey Dave it sounds like you have a pretty sweet saw on your hands. The more I think about it the more I think I may be better off with a new or newer saw as I will be relying on it to keep my property clear after storms and such. From what I've gathered the ms261 is the modern day equivalent to the 028av in terms of size and dependability so I guess I'm narrowing my search to that model unless anyone has other recommendations. Sorry if i wasted your time and good luck with your sale

All great saws. Always had a sweet tooth for 028s. 028 Super was first saw I bought new. Still have it (and bunch of bigger saws) but I use ported 046 and an 028 salvaged from a fire. Keep it bungee to tractor or skid steer.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

Back