WTB: Stihl 066 Magnum muffler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davefr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My 066 has a muffler where the previous owner removed the internal baffles. The dealer says that it's a common practice at some of the local logging camps.

The problem is it's really loud and I'd like it to be a little "kindler gentler".

The dealer wants nearly $75 for a new muffler!! That's almost as much as I paid for the saw.

Does anyone have a good used one from a parted out saw? I've been watching EBAY but that part hasn't showed up yet.

WOW, you bought an 066 for around $75 bucks. That is a hellofa deal. Yeah, considering it would be kinda tough putting what you paid for it into a muffler. Although, you will always be far ahead on that saw. No matter what you put into it. Was that an ebay buy?

Actually I bought it at a hock shop for around $100 and cleaned it up real well and spent another $40-50 outfitting it with a new bar and chain. It cuts like nothing I've ever used before!!! Pretty impressive machine.

I'll probably only use it a few times a year for the big stuff. I can live with the modified muffler but would prefer a stock one but only if the price is right.

I'd probably rather have a 046, but the 066 is only 2 lbs heavier and I got it at a decent price.

10 years ago I found a used 026 in a pawn shop for $75. That was a decent price. What you got is incredible!! I agree with Darin, you are WAYYY ahead on that deal! Not having seen it, can you weld a baffle into the muffler? or have a welding shop tack something in there? I never took the muffler apart on my 038M, last muffler I looked at was on a weedeater 10 years ago.

Last edited:
I had a muffler fall apart then fall off of a 66 last year - I couldn't believe how loud the thing was - even with earplugs I couldn't stand to run it. I took it in for a new muffler and got fleeced to the tune of over $100, including a new air cleaner, but I use the saw a lot, so I think it was worth getting it fixed. Nice saws, I have found, they run well, cut like crazy and really make the chips fly. Not that I am comparing it with a 372 XPG or anything... ;^)

I sugest you replace the mufflur asap. Unless you want to replace the cyl. & piston also.As the piston goes up & down it sucks & blows. Wow sounds like a great , well you know what I mean. But as it sucks it brings in all the dust etc. right thru the muffler. & you know where it ends up.Its a VERY BIG problem with the Stihl 020ts. Most tree men will take out the screen that gets clogged up. Well the do untill they are taught, or the buy new cyl. & piston a few times

I have recently purchase some "upgrade parts" from Walkers saw shop in Canada for my new 066 Magnum. The muffler that came with it is a dual port, no screen muffler. This muffler has two 5/8 exhaust ports and the saw runs about 150 degrees cooler on my chainsaw mill. You wont blow any saw up by making it breath easier, they only run better and cooler. Personally, I have heard of to many large proffesional saws siezing up due to heat. This is one way of ensureing your saw does not lean out due to heat build up. Email Walkers saw shop, I think you'll find it very worth while.

Mike:blob2:

Holy !@#$ you got one hellofa deal on that saw. I looked at a brand new one for about 2 seconds till i noticed the price. I then picked up my jaw and thought about something else. Anyways here is my take. I operate heavy earth moving equipment and noise is your worst emeny it just kills me throughout the day. So either bite the $75 and be happier or have your headache start just looking at that monster.

O and there is no better or more fun way to take a tree down than a big bulldozer. Just drive up and push her down. But its a bit expensive for just taking trees out. but what a blast!

Confused - sounds like you'd like to be hooked up to the Tigercat people - take a look at their iron at www.tigercat.com. I've worked with their products before - well made and quiet -should suit your needs.

Oh, and Timberjack, makers of all things logging, was bought last year by .... John Deere. Lots more JD yellow in the bush now too.

Deere John - No thanks i checked out the TigerCat webpage. I like CAT equiqment. I work for an excavator during the summer to pay for college. I got the pleasure of taking down a couple trees with our D6R XL you can see it here. www.cat.com/cgi-bin/equipment_prodd...familyid=323&rgnid=NACD&headerimageid=C015445

Now thats a horse. Pushes lots of dirt primarily. Oh and nothing against John Deere products i love there grading dozers 450 550 650 G and H models they are simply the best. But i'll stick with CAT on any other equipment needs otherwise.

I've been looking for my receipt, cant find it. I'm thinking it was about 65.00 u.s. but dont quote me. Give them a call............John's a real nice guy to deal with.

Mike:confused:

Back