Yesterday, I Delivered the Best 3 Cords Ever

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swamp Yankee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
AKA, I know somebody that slept on the couch for a few nights

Long story but I'll try to keep it short

This whole episode started around Labor Day when I called Mr. X, a 4th year repeat customer about delivering this Fall's 3 cords. (I put up and cover all my seasoned wood orders a year in advance) He asked How much is it? I told him $200 per cord, same as last year. Now he gets excited and starts screaming that the going rate for seasoned is $140 and that's all he'll pay, otherwise I can take my wood and shove it. I told him I was firm on the price, leading to another outburst. At that point I politely thanked him for his past business and left it at that.

Last Thursday the 28th I received a call from Mrs. X wanting to know if I still had 3 cords available. I told her that her husband had made it quite clear he didn't want to pay my price and/or do business. Her exact words, and I quote,"My husband is an idiot. I love him to death but he can be such an idiot. (Now she's on my good side.) Do you have any wood available or can you recommend someone?" As I looked out the window at 5 cord of seasoned white oak a flash of brilliance or a moment of greed came to me. I have some wood, but it's the pile I'm saving to sell later in the season when I can get more money for it. "How much is it?" I get $250 a cord in late January and early February. "That's fine, can you bring us 3 cord and if so how soon can you deliver?" We agreed I would deliver 3 cord starting Saturday. As they were going to be away at a wedding we arranged for me to deliver the last on Sunday and she would pay me then. I was to leave the wood behind the garage just as I had in the previous years.

Saturday morning I dropped off the first load. There behind the garage was a pile, around 2-1/4 cord of some of the ugliest wood I've seen. About 1/4 was hemlock, the rest was red and white oak split huge, with branches and limbs not trimmed some at least 6 inches off the stem, with no checking at all. This stuff was either green or wet through and through or both. I kind of chuckled and went about my business.

I delivered the third cord yesterday. Mr. X was out stacking and didn't even look up when I arrived. Mrs. X came out with an envelope full of cash and a cup of coffee for me. She was very nice and even made her son come out and help unload. I told her I would be back around noon with the last of it and she said that was fine. On the last load hubby is still stacking and Mrs X once again appears with a Coke and a smile. "I guess you noticed we purchased some wood from someone else. It won't burn well and we had a hard time getting it into the stove. Isn't that right dear?" Mr X just kind of shrugged.

By know I know she's busting his stones big time, but here's the best part. She asks if I would put up wood for them for next year. How much I asked. At least 2 cords she said, 3 if at all possible. Once again another flash of brilliance or greed hit me. I'm sorry Mrs. X, I'll do it but I will need a deposit of $50 per cord. "Dear, I don't have my purse, would you give John $150?" Well Mr. X pulls $150 out of his wallet and hands me the cash. I really don't know who enjoyed it more, me or his wife.

I left with quite a glowing feeling. I still have it today. Basking in the feeling of vengeance, with a huge surplus of Halloween candy to finish. Sometimes life can't get any better.

Thanks for reading

Take Care

Great story. When people find a good honest supplier they should stick with them in my opinon.

(shaking my head with a grin) My, my that's quite the story. Would have liked to be fly on the wall to hear Mr. and Mrs. X 'conversations' about firewood...:D.

Kevin

Ya need to keep this story handy for when some of the gang in the firewood Biz start grumbling about all the hacks under cutting them.

In this case, some hack made a one time sale when prices and demand are low. You sold 6 cords because of the Hack. LOL!!

The guys with the honest deals and good product always win in the end, if they can hang in there.

Mr.X is just a cheap bastard like anyone else these days.
It takes time, and getting burned by cheap crap a time or two for folks to wake up. Just like the growing backlash against all the chineese junk on the market these days.

Congrats on the sweet Revenge sale! LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I hate to be mrX . Mrs X will Be busting his balls everytime she sees that other pile of better priced unburnable won't fit in the wood burner wood. Kind of sounds like my wife when she gets a hair up her you now wear.:hmm3grin2orange:

Beefie

OH Sweeeeeet heart, can you go grab some more wood for the fire, and uh oh yeah, don't be bringing that crappy stuff you overpaid for in here either---X 6 months everyday twice a day!!!!

What a shlep, if he was a real man he would cut his own wood--

That DA needs a good solid kick in the JIMMY

Great story.....I have a great wood guy.I explained awhile back I need good dry wood.I have a standing pre order so that I know she's good and dry...oak too.$110 a full cord and when others ask I send them his way.

Only real men cut their own wood....now that's funny! If I had to pay what you guys charge I'd look into cutting my wood,but who can look a gift horse in the mouth...I'd rather be making $300 a day on the lake...in 2 days time I can earn enough to pay for a whole winters worth of wood heating in north central Mn.

Great story! I'm lying in bed with my wife and we're having a very nice laugh about you're story! Sometimes I'm allowed to take the notebook along. :laugh:

If he was a real man he would stand up and apologize.
What an ash hole... Imagine that, behaving like a sulky lil' brat...

Cool wife though, you can see who carry the clangers in the family :laugh:

SA

Come on now, everyone wants to know what Mrs. X looks like!! (Celebrity she most resembles, please.) ;)

Back