New Forum?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man this thread was hard to find using the search function. I thought I was looking for a Tool Forum or a Tool Thread. Anyway I think this Tool Topic is of interest to me and presumably many others that work with hand tools on all types of machinery.
Pioneerguy600

New Forum, Bringing it up again.

Hi Fellas
Thanks for the support for a Tool Forum here on AS! I think I'm going to need more members replying they would like to see this new Tool Forum if it's going to fly.Just think of the possibilities a Tool Forum could help us out with.
I will just list some possible scenarios.One has already been mentioned in this thread.

Your looking for a new inch pound torque wrench.What make should I buy?What make do guy's use and is it good ,not so good etc.

I'm thinking of buying a new cordless drill.Should I go 3/8 or 1/2 inch?What make and why?

My air compressor is acting up ,it's just not preforming the way it used to.Any ideas?

I have to find a tool that works well for taking off chainsaw flywheel's.What do you guy's use?

Want to but a air compressor should I buy oil lubricated or not?

I would like to find a diagnostic tool to see if chainsaw coils are AOKAY.Any ideas?

My brad nailer keeps jamming.What's up with that?

Okay you guy's get it! I have just listed a few questions that could come up on a Tool Forum.You wouldn't have to leave AS to go to another forum and get help.It would also help Sponsors on here that sell tools to sell more if they carry a tool your looking for.Guy's there is a plethora of subjects that could be cover in a Forum like that.So if you agree with me please add your name to the ones that have already endorsed this idea.
Many Thanks
Lawrence

I'm really in now! My Crapsman air compressor just bought the farm last night (waaaay beyond repair) So of course I'm looking for a new one.

Now I know I can search the internet over and read all the facts and figures of almost every compressor ever made, but what I find way more valuable is the opinions of guys like you who may have used one. Real world experience is of much higher value than any sales brochure!

3 cheers for the tool forum!

Murf

Hi Fellas
Thanks for the support for a Tool Forum here on AS! I think I'm going to need more members replying they would like to see this new Tool Forum if it's going to fly.

Howdy lawrence! You are probably going to need more than just positive replies to this thread, you're going to have to show the need for a new forum. For instance, if there were some hundreds of threads with lots of responses, out there on the topic that had no place to go. Maybe before a whole forum is devoted to something, you could start a thread about tools and see where that goes. If the thread starts busting out at the seams you can better show the need for a separate forum.

I would like to find a diagnostic tool to see if chainsaw coils are AOKAY.Any ideas?

Are you asking me to do a write up on using an oscilloscope to see spark discharges on a running engine? :)

I like the idea myself, and I am in this group at the moment:

I have to find a tool that works well for taking off chainsaw flywheel's.What do you guy's use?

Depends on the saw. Stihls (and possibly others) need a special puller that threads into the center of the wheel with a center bolt that drives down into the crank end. Some can be pulled with a regular steering wheel type puller, by inserting bolts into the starter pawl holes (some have other holes just for this purpose). Still others can be pulled with a regular two or three jaw puller.

Still on the tool topic but not saw related, a couple weeks ago I found a little gem. It's a Starrett 604R 6" ruler. I'm hesitant to call it a machinist's rule but it's in that order of quality. I dug it out of a bucket of junked steel - it was pretty corroded and dirty and honestly I didn't realize quite what it was or even think it would end up being salvageable, but took it anyway. It did clean up fairly well, actually:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Must be stainless steel - it was fairly rusty, but it didn't seem to have a significant impact on the surface. With some more sanding and buffing it would polish up even better, I'm sure. It's the first ruler I've had that had 1/64" graduations. And the graduations are cut into the metal, not printed or anything. It's exactly 6" long too, which is nice - no compensating for off-length ends.

It's not much, but it was a nice little find.

Last edited:
Tool Forum? Sign me up.

Who makes the best tools to port a saw?

Who wants to sponnser their tool lines ? Can we have a password so they know their sales are linked to AS? Would they like to sponser a booth at a GTG?

Who carries the best paint?

Maybe somebody has come up with a gadget/fixture that they can market to other members

This Forum could get really big. C'mon guys think & speak!

John

Tools RULE

I am all for it. In the mean time, if I may be so bold(this goes aginst the forum jumping) but, check out "THE GARAGE JOURNAL" go to the tool section, a couple hundred thousand posts already. Enjoy.

Tool Forum -- bring it on -- I am all for it. Store bought, shop made, makes no difference.

Could lend itself beyond saws, saw repair and the like -- anything to do with cutting, splitting, hauling and storing wood -- and maintenance of same.

Hope this gets the green light.

Great idea Lawrence.

OK,this is me going to start a thread................stay tuned.

Tool Forum

Howdy lawrence! You are probably going to need more than just positive replies to this thread, you're going to have to show the need for a new forum. For instance, if there were some hundreds of threads with lots of responses, out there on the topic that had no place to go. Maybe before a whole forum is devoted to something, you could start a thread about tools and see where that goes. If the thread starts busting out at the seams you can better show the need for a separate forum.

Okay,above is a response from Dave concerning the Tool Forum.So if I have read his response correctly we are going to have to start a thread and see how it goes from there.I think it would get most attention in the Chainsaw Forum as there are a lot of members on there.Some members do not even look at the other Forums.So that there is no confusion on where to look for things concerning tools I will start a new thread in the Chainsaw Forum and title it Tool Forum,I hope I can do that ,if I am not allowed to do it I guess they will let me know. All of you members that have replied to this thread THANKS A MILLION!I hope we can make the thread successful for all of us on AS!
Thanks Again
Lawrence

Tool Forum

Well it's not really a Forum it's a thread, but I named it the Tool Forum and it's off and running.So all you great guy's who have showed support for this thing and have posted stuff on here already, Thank You!Not sure if all this stuff on this thread could be moved over to the other thread the Tool Forum thread it would be great!We can leave this thread alone now.So we will see all you guy's over there.Start posting away.
Lawrence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back