Stihl 090 or Contra or ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retoocs555

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Stihl Contra Lightning: For Sale

I have this saw, it's big, it's old and it's a stihl. I looked at it and thought it was a contra by first glance. I figgured it must either be a 090 or contra but am pretty certain its an old contra lightning.

This will be on ebay soon if nobody here wants it. I need to get the cash to buy a ton of saws next week.

It's very clean. Part of the throttle trigger is broken off but I couldn't find any other broken or missing pieces.

Price is $800 plus shipping

I haven't run it, and the price is pending a satisfactory compression check in the AM.

I have a 24" duramatic type stihl bar that can go with this along with the smaller bar that is on there now.

Last edited:
Scott,

It is a Lightning. Take a look at the jug and see if it happens to be a super. It it is then it will be worth more.

Bill

:pumpkin2:
retoocs555 said:
I have this saw, it's big, it's old and it's a stihl. I looked at it and thought it was a contra by first glance. I figgured it must either be a 090 or contra but am pretty certain its an old contra lightning.

This will be on ebay soon if nobody here wants it. I need to get the cash to buy a ton of saws next week.

It's very clean. Part of the throttle trigger is broken off but I couldn't find any other broken or missing pieces.

Price is $800 plus shipping

I haven't run it, and the price is pending a satisfactory compression check in the AM.

I have a 24" duramatic type stihl bar that can go with this along with the smaller bar that is on there now.
what have you found? is it a CONTRA. CONTRA LIGHTNING, OR CONTRA SUPER? was the compression up to snuff?

It was a contra lightning. Compression was like new and I got it running without any trouble. It was real fun to play around with. I've never really run one of these large old stihls. I'll tell ya' the mechanical govenor, torque and low rpm would take getting used to.

I put it on ebay and it was sold within a couple of hours with the buy it now.

Scott,

I am glad you sold it quick, a little less than $800 but at least it is sold quick. If the market on the old Lighting's climbs enough a new in the box one just may hit the market.

Bill

Bill G said:
Scott,

I am glad you sold it quick, a little less than $800 but at least it is sold quick. If the market on the old Lighting's climbs enough a new in the box one just may hit the market.

Bill

Wow, I can only wonder what that would go for!

Relatives

The price reminds me of deals that the relatives give you. They offer you a price like 800 and you don't want it for that. Then they turn around and sell it to a complete stranger for much less.

It seems relatives are always expected to pay more.

Big Woody said:
The price reminds me of deals that the relatives give you. They offer you a price like 800 and you don't want it for that. Then they turn around and sell it to a complete stranger for much less.

It seems relatives are always expected to pay more.
The reason ya have to charge relatives more is that the warranty lasts forever-- thought everybody knew that.

$800 was the starting point for the dickering ;) Ya' gotta know how to bargain! If I had got a single PM or email on the saw somebody might have gotten it in the $500-$600 range. No matter what you're selling, or how reasonable your price is always expect somebody to offer you half!

I offer very few saws on arborist site anymore, mostly just parts when people need them.

retoocs555 said:
Wow, I can only wonder what that would go for!

Well I doubt it would fetch enough to make it worthwhile. I am not quite ready to make the jump yet.

Bill

Bill G said:
Well I doubt it would fetch enough to make it worthwhile. I am not quite ready to make the jump yet.

Bill
Well i am just a new kid on the block drooling over the thought of a new in the box Lightening, a few good pictures--two let my banker see-- then maybe we can overcome the doubt and take care of the rest. well if i was in your place hmmmmmm new in the box Lightening--selling would be out of the question and for a small price i would unlock the air tight controled volt and let a few of the dreamers like me see it. but if you are even really thinking of selling you can bet i will try hard to make it worth your while but remember i aint a relative----can you get the pictures out?

Back