how to tell year, or generation, of 044?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

royta

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
grew up near Yreka, CA and am now living in Morgan
I'm in the market for a used 044. Yeah, I'd like to buy a new 440 or 441, but I don't use a saw enough to justify the purchase. From what I understand, the later years of 044's are more desireable. Is there a way I can visually tell the year, or generation number, of an 044? It appears there are differences with mufflers, air cleaner covers, with clutch covers, with needle adjustment areas.

See attached pictures for examples.

Is there a website with reference of the serial numbers and the year of the saw? Even better, a website that lists the serial numbers with which particular 044 the saw is.

Thanks.

I found some serial number info

I found some serial number info, but I'd like to know the newest numbers I might find on an 044.

For instance, I found an 044 with a serial number of 143769758. Then another with a serial number of 139170055. Can anybody tell me the year of these saws? What is the newest number I might find? Thanks.

I found some serial number info, but I'd like to know the newest numbers I might find on an 044.

For instance, I found an 044 with a serial number of 143769758. Then another with a serial number of 139170055. Can anybody tell me the year of these saws? What is the newest number I might find? Thanks.

The 143 xxx xxx is 1999
The 139 xxx xxxx is 1998

144/145 is likely the latest 044.

Right now we are up in the 267's... MS440's of course.

For that just do it though the site here.. I'm only one opinion.... and price/condition is very subjective and regional.

Both saws are newer 044's. They are the style of 044's I like.;) They also have the 440 style air filter cover. I would pay 2-300 a piece for both saws. They look to be in pretty nice shape. If you can run the saws, that will tell you if they have been run hard.:D ;) :biggrinbounce2: :laugh:

Last edited:
Well, I picked up the saw in post # 7. It was an ebay purchase. I paid less than Lakeside53's numbers, but more than stihl440's numbers. 50:1 stihl oil all it's life. The owner had this 044, and three other big saws in the past 7 years. He got injured so he's selling his business and his saws. I believe he must have been some sort of pro. I hope I'm pleased when it shows up. When it does, I'll clean it up real nice, do a compression check, and post pictures and results on the site.

I've already downloaded the owner's manual from the Stihl site, now I need to pick up a repair manual. That is, if the repair manual tells you good information even though the saw does not need repairs.

The serial number is on the bottom of the saw right? Mine starts off with a 1128..............any idea of this year?

OK, I found it mine starts off with a 126...............anyone know the year, I am assuming its older....

OK, I found it mine starts off with a 126...............anyone know the year, I am assuming its older....

You can try sending an e-mail inquiry, with the full serial number, to Stihl via their website. Sometimes the have can get info from a saws serial number.

Kevin

The 143 xxx xxx is 1999
The 139 xxx xxxx is 1998

144/145 is likely the latest 044.

Right now we are up in the 267's... MS440's of course.
I have a 044 with serial number x132 , do you happen to know why the x is there and year of that number?

Latest posts

Back