026 vs MS260

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl025

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Is there any difference between the old 026 and the newer MS260? Looking at picking up a very good condition MS260 for a decent price to replace the 025. Just wanted to know if there was anything different other than the "badging".

Different filter set up, old ones have a smaller filter, and it realy hurts them.

Some 026s can be fitted with a 260 filter and rear cover.

Newest 260s last couple year have a slghtly larger bore.

I believe all the 026's and some of the early 260's also cranked out 3.5 hp vs. the later model 260's that have 3.2 hp. Of course a few minor mods and you supposedly can gain that back.

There is more than one version of the older 026, not all are the same in appearance or construction. I would steer clear of the oldest models as the air filter is restricted compared to the later models; and, some of their parts are not always stocked by the local dealer.

The later model's of the 026/026 Pro are similar to the 260/260 Pro series in appearance and performance. They are easily recognized, as they have the same air filter, air filter cover as the newer 260/260 Pro. I have used all versions of these saws and can tell no real difference in performance between the late models of the 026 and the newer 260. In fact, my favorite saw is a late model 026, not even an 026 Pro, its a true gem and I'll keep it forever if possible.

Having said all the above, the new 260 Pro is a sweet performing saw, once it gets broke in and has a muffler mod. We just got a new one this past week and its looking great.

I believe all the 026's and some of the early 260's also cranked out 3.5 hp vs. the later model 260's that have 3.2 hp. Of course a few minor mods and you supposedly can gain that back.

The German made ones still are rated at 3.5hp here, and reports from Canada indicates that the German made Arctics outcuts the VB made regular versions, even though they all are rated at 3.2 hp there.....

Last edited:
The older 026 with button type air breather on the gas tank will take the 260 filter and cover. The other version with long skinny black breather will not easily take the 260 filter and there is no easy way to change the breather out short of changing the saw frame out.

If they have this style vent then you can not retrofit it to take the larger filter. Most of these vents are black, but I have also seen whitish color ones. The older tanks can be slightly modified to accept the newer larger fuel line, but not vice versa.

Your 260 will have the larger intellicarb air filter. Dependant on the Serial #, you may also have the larger 44.7mm jug and piston vs the 44mm that was on all 026's and the early 260's. Other than possibly bore, the fliptop caps, carb, muffler, air filter, and plastic contour they are essentially the same as the 026.

Proud owner of a used MS260

I am now the proud owner of a used MS260. Has some wear to it, but overall it is in good condition. Needs some small items, but nothing too serious. Lakeside, I have a serial number for ya if you can give me some info on it (ie: year, etc.) I will PM you.

Does anyone have an IPL for it? Need to look up some stuff.

Great little saw, you'll love it. Sometimes I hate to put it down to pick up the 361, then I come to my senses...

I am now the proud owner of a used MS260. Has some wear to it, but overall it is in good condition. Needs some small items, but nothing too serious. Lakeside, I have a serial number for ya if you can give me some info on it (ie: year, etc.) I will PM you.

Does anyone have an IPL for it? Need to look up some stuff.

PM sent

Yeah it appears he is parting out new saws. Yes you can put all your parts on one of those. Unless your crankcase is bad (busted or bad bearings) it would be a lot more economical to just freshen up your old jug and piston.

When you get done you'll have a oil tank with a flip-top cap and a gas tank with the screw in style.

Last edited:
Talk to Tommy he probably has some new old style air filters on hand. I know I just purchased some new ones from a stihl dealer about a month ago.

If if you could get around the tank vent issue you would need to change the top plate on your carb to work with the new style filter.

Last edited:
I have 3 or 4 mabe 4 1/2 or 5 + 026 parts saws. Thought it be like having a new saw to me. I might go for 1 if he offers it with a decompression button when my bank account is up. I 'm not getting younger, battered my body when I was younger, and there is times when it doesn't feel very well pulling the starter already. I expect a whole new 260 engine might out last me at the rate I would use it. I like running bigger saws except when I'm feeling down physically.

Ok all the ones I've seen were non pro 260's without the decomp button. Another approach would be to change the top shroud on your saw and put a good used pro cylinder and piston on it. I'm pretty sure I have good used pro cylinder, a new top shroud with a decomp hole, and a new piston for it.

Last edited:
i have this danged version of the saw, apparently. i have the tall skinny tank vent. i am having a helluva time getting the air filter.
supposed to be on it's way. ordered at the dealer, twice, still waiting.
no alternatives?

groan.... it's a standard item... I bet your your dealer reads the IPL wrong and keeps ordering the wrong parts..

I have 1 pro I bought on ebay. It was supposed to be a " good usable saw ". Not. The 99.9% fdbk 4000+ seller (mostly tools ) packed it with bar oil and a loose oil cap. Loose this and that and thought I would claim shipping damage . It did start up so I took the saw halfway a part ,cleaned it up good, replaced a few minor things and aimed to use it. Turned out the muffler was run loose and burned the casing gasket on top the oil tank and you couldn't use it on account of the muffler smoking the chain oil at the spot. I managed to fix it with red hi heat silicone gasket material and used the saw now and then for back up . Compression was low and it recently got parked cause its to weak. I have a new pro cylinder , just haven't got around to my 026 projects yet and think I might need an easiar more complete project with more new. Actually I had a very nice 026 pro I let go when selling some other saws last year I priced it for $275 when showing the other saws and a guy took it. Got a deal on it not working for $50. Had the wrong fuel line and a little this and that, bar and chain to get it going almost like new. Dealer told the previous owner it needed overhauled and wasn't worth fixing.

I have one of the old style here also, It's a bit hack, but I just stubbed a short piece of tubing 6" long with one end partially plugged , then pluged it into the hole where the tall vent plugs in and made it goose neck up over the filter. This blocks fuel from coming out, but lets air in as the tank is drained. Doing this it will run fine with a new bigger 260 filter. You can just change out the top cover on the carb and then it will have the intelicarb feature, otherwise just block off the inteli hole in the filter and run it old school. If the filter gets dirty it will run a little rich thats all.

I have one of the old style here also, It's a bit hack, but I just stubbed a short piece of tubing 6" long with one end partially plugged , then pluged it into the hole where the tall vent plugs in and made it goose neck up over the filter. This blocks fuel from coming out, but lets air in as the tank is drained. Doing this it will run fine with a new bigger 260 filter. You can just change out the top cover on the carb and then it will have the intelicarb feature, otherwise just block off the inteli hole in the filter and run it old school. If the filter gets dirty it will run a little rich thats all.

I've made a similar "hack job" that was pretty effective except I used a barb style tank vent from a MS210-MS250 series saw instead of the screw. I left it low at the tank with a short tube the filter cleared fine.

Latest posts

Back