046 tank vent, stihltech?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NevadaWalrus

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Have an 046 in the shop that has a leaking tank vent, this is the silly little umbrella type. Have checked as well as these old eyes can see and find no cracks or distortion in the tank and have installed a new umbrella vent but if anything it leaks worse now then before.

A call to Stihls tech people netted the advise of replacing the tank with the current vent style. Now I'm a bit peeved that that was the best he could do to fix something out of warranty. Anyway, before hitting the customer with a repair estimate to replace the tank I was wondering if anyone else had seen this problem and formulated a reasonable fix.

I am pretty sure theres another piece ontop of the little red tit that sticks out of the top of the tank, is it there?

1121 358 1800
1121 258 2500

I believe this goes ontop of the red tit. its a cap and filter.

vent

Ok, Stihl just can't seem to make up there mind on which vent to use. I believe Jim is right on the money.
There may also be an upgraded vent for this that uses the hose and screw trick (now where have I seen those before?). It will be in a bulletin somewhere. I apologize, but I keep this stuff at the shop, the computer is at home. Maybe Jim has got it there.

Yeah, it has the cone filter and cap, they were OK but were replaced for good measure. The problem is the darn umbrella seal. I couldn't find a bulletins on it, will check again, if you find it and it is the hose a screw thing, an adaptor for one to be added, that would be great, rarely had any problems with them. Sure would be a dang sight better then replacing the tank/handle assembly.

Thanks JimL. Once again the internet came through when the factory rep couldn't. That second, the pdf file was exactly what I needed.

ive got a 66 outside a guy put in shield bearings in it, lasted about an hour.

i ordered new bearings from stihl, no seals..

Guess i should have worded it differently, the bearings have no seals or sheilds.
I got the seals also, ordered the wrong friggen one on the flywheel side, too big. also got the wrong ???? crank case gasket,

Forgot i was working on an old redlight i guess.

Yeah, you gotta be careful about the new and old style saws. I get caught once in a while, but now that I am a Bronze Tech ( still feel like I regressed after 20 years) I will get it right.:rolleyes:

Back