Stihl MS361 project saw has me stumped

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you done pressure vac test?
does the crank wobble on either side- but mostly clutch side?

I decided today to not let this saw kick my butt.

I dug around and found the original carb which is a Walbro HD34A. I did rebuild this carb and it leaked fuel like crazy and flooded the saw, so then I replaced it with a Hicello carb from Amazon.

So, now are options are to try to rebuild the factory carb, find a replacement OEM carb, or order a little higher quality aftermarket one, like a farmertec.

thoughts?

I also started muffler modding this saw. today while I had it out on the bench.

9232A12C-FBB5-492C-A899-0F8E64052318.jpeg

This is a shot in the dark, but have you checked the metering rod height on the carb yet? I had a 440 I built, that would act like it would run out of fuel after a cut. I checked the rod height as a last resort and found the adjustment to be off.

By all rights, I wouldn't have attributed the running issues to something like that, but it worked afterwards. Usually the metering rod creates some jetting issues, they just usually don't manifest themselves like this one did.

So I decided tonight that instead of spending money, to try something first.

I soaked the OEM carb in diesel, and then cleaned it, and gutted it, and did the same to the aftermarket carb. It looks like on the OEM carb, the rebuild kit I bought was pushing in on the metering constantly causing it to flood. So I put it back together with the guts from the aftermarket carb.

I’ll get about 2 pops from it, no matter what position the choke and throttle are in, and that’s it.

I’m starting to wonder if I might have a coil issue again.

Bad far the most frustrating saw I’ve ever worked on.

Back