211 owners talk me into one. Im still on the edge.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ms290

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I like all that i see but a Muff. mod will become of the little bugger depending on how the saw has the ability to re-tune itself. From what i understand these things are fixed jet but still tune themselves correct? I do want the saw but im just not sure of this new technology.

The new technology it supports is a new strato engine, air injection for a cleaner air filter, and a much better anti vibration system. The MS211 is a little bit heavier then the MS210 - but it's also a heavier duty saw much more than it's predecessor as well.

:confused:

These saws are not self tuning by any means at all.

Where did you get that??

You know. Im not real sure where i got that. maybe that cursed "inteli carb" crap stihl has advertised got me. I guess i contradicted myself with self tuning and fixed jet huh?

Yeah that is possible.

Intellicarb is basically a little intake snorkel tube that is meant to compensate for a clogged filter. I hear it works really good.

Auto tuning is something that is JUST being looked at on some of the larger saws. It's available on the Husqvarna 576xp, and (supposedly this year) will be available on the MS441.

Yeah that is possible.

Intellicarb is basically a little intake snorkel tube that is meant to compensate for a clogged filter. I hear it works really good.

Auto tuning is something that is JUST being looked at on some of the larger saws. It's available on the Husqvarna 576xp, and (supposedly this year) will be available on the MS441.

Ah i see. Sounds like it should be interesting to see. Would be nice if i could mod a saw then it just tuned itself for the best power available would it not?

Now sell me a 211. i want it but i need some help to go get it.

The 211 is a great saw, a saw that is taking over the 361 rage that used to pool in here. Enough said there. I've read of 2 muff mods that turned out great, I have not had a chance to do mine yet.:(

I bought the first MS 211 that my dealer got in last year. Loved the saw.

Had temporary insanity last month and sold it.

Bought a new RedMax GZ4000 as a replacement . It did not handle as well in my hands as the 211.

Bought a new Husqvarna 435. Hard to start. It's going to be for sale.

I have also had a MS 170. Nice saw but not in the same class as a 211.

I just bought another New MS 211 last week.

Nothing I have tried beats the saw for balance and ease of handling, smoothness, and ease of starting.

It cuts like a bigger saw. For me the saw is a big winner.

I even like to hear that little strato wind up.

Doesn't the MS 280 claim to be self tuning?

The MS280 has what Stihl calls "Intelligent Management System". In a nut shell, it changes fuel mixture to keep the enine running at best performance in case there is a change - such as a major change in altitude. But there are still manual adjustment screws on the carb. This is not a "self adjusting carburetor".

What most are refering to is the Stihl MS441 C-M. The 441 will be equipped with a self adjusting carburetor which Stihl calls "M-Tronic". Supposedly the operator will never need to do anything but run the saw. The Husqvarna 576xp is currently available with a very much alike system called AutoTune (576xp AT).

There isn't a TON of information about the performance of the 576xp AT. One of the biggest question lies with wondering if the self adjusting carburetors will compensate for a modded saw.

It's been rumored that the MS441 C-M will be available by the end of this year.

Last edited:
I just recently picked up a new 211. I have not had a chance to cut with it yet, but I will say just in my hands it seems to have more snap (torque) than my pp 255.Thats 35cc vs 40cc.

I'll tell you why to get one. I bought the first one that my dealer had as a joke ground saw thinking if it made through a week it would be lucky. Some few hundred hrs later and havent turned a screw on it. Power wise it perfroms much better than a stock 260! I know hard to believe I said that but I got a new 260 a few months back and until I drilled the muffler i'd take the 211 with low pro 16" over the 260 ..325 anytime. The only thing wrong with it is you cant tell what model it is anymore due to looking like we lit it on fire and drug it behind the truck but it still runs. Just handle one before you buy it because the throttle setup is quite different than stihls of old.

No i dont need your car but thanks for the offer. I just need some good reasons to get it becuase i already have an MS 170 that i just love.
IF you like the 170 you will absolutly love the 211. the 170 is a dog compared to the 211.

I'll tell you why to get one. I bought the first one that my dealer had as a joke ground saw thinking if it made through a week it would be lucky. Some few hundred hrs later and havent turned a screw on it. Power wise it perfroms much better than a stock 260! I know hard to believe I said that but I got a new 260 a few months back and until I drilled the muffler i'd take the 211 with low pro 16" over the 260 ..325 anytime. The only thing wrong with it is you cant tell what model it is anymore due to looking like we lit it on fire and drug it behind the truck but it still runs. Just handle one before you buy it because the throttle setup is quite different than stihls of old.

I bought the first one my dealer got in last year, and I thought that it was cuttin like a bigger saw, but I figured that's just me, what do I know.

Glad to hear that it does out perform some bigger saws.

I like all my saws, but that 211 is a keeper.:cheers:

Late model 2007+ IEM 280's only have a L adjust and LA idle adjust screw, no H adjust. The carb H setting is IEM adjusted by the computer.

Earlier model 280's did not have IEM and have a L and H and LA adjust screw.

everyone i have sold a 211 to has loved them, no complaints so far, and a lot of customers that have been in since they purchased one have praised it and been extremely surprised how much power it has. the way the IEM works is it looks at rpm 5 times per second (if i remember correctly) and either opens or closes a jet depending on if rpms went up or down when it closed or opened last

Latest posts

Back