335/338/200T muffler mods, repairs, cut times and other banter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbtree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Here's an excerpt of pm exchange with geofore today.

Earlier I had compared my 335 Cali with dual port muffler to a 200T, and it was about 10% faster.

Here's an excerpt of pms to geofore today..

<<Re: Cali 335/45cc
Amazing! I just this minute finished putting together the 335 that Rich sent me for shipping costs. I sent him $22 extra out of courtesy. I put a dual port muffler on and it is only a tad slower than the 335 Cali!!! .. and smokes the PP338...may be something up with the 338, it was faster a few days ago, the last I compared??
Walker's is no longer modding 335's they say they gain .4 hp from muffler mods, but only 0.1 from the rest...course they dont do a whole lot...and the Cali should be handle a lot of port widening as well as longer timing...My curiosity will mean I just HAVE to get one done!!

A friend wants to sell his Cali...as his crew think it takes too much elbow grease to pull the starter...what a lame excuse. I may buy it, but if it doesnt have the primer bulb, I'd have to make sure it is retrofittable. Scott said it is less than a yr old...He and I just went in on a GRCS together!! Now I have a Hobbs, it, the Simpson chain saw capstan winch, and the chipper winch....talk about ready to rumble!!

roger

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

geofore wrote on 04-05-2004 02:31 PM:
If you like the Cali, I thought that was what you were going to get in the first place, get the ones that came out in the spring of 2002 through the fall of 2003 they have most all the bugs worked out that plagued the earlier 335's.
My next buy will be the Dolmar 50cc when they release it to the public this year. It is supposed to look (be built like) and act like the 7900, if it does it should be right there with the 346 when power ported, a bit lighter and faster.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Cali 335/45cc
update,

I surprised myself and got the old 335 Walkerized running...and sharpened the PP338 chain...plus tested with some chain switching back and forth to be more fair.

Appx times, in about 11 inch hard holly:

335W 11.5 seconds---dual port
PP338 12.5 seconds Walker's single port muffler
335 Cali 12 seconds--dual port
335 from Rich 11 seconds.--dual port.

all these times are plus or minus 1.5 seconds....

Plus, so far the two old saws seem to be starting nice and quick, both cold and hot and idling well.. will have to put them to work and see what happens..... Looks like the best saws are the old ones.....but if i want a screamer, it would be a ported Cali.

Wow, do I have to thank you,Rich or what?!! It has the green cap, so is just a bit newer than one of my oldies that was the fastest stocker of them all!

Rog>>

Keep in mind, per my earlier posts, Dan modded the 338. But due to it's design, it did not take well to mods. Apparently the 335 didnt do that well either, as Walker's info above states. But the Cali should have room for lots of port work, with it's extra 10 cc. Whattdya think, Dan? Should I send it to ya?

Hey!

Rich, you could have left that 335 and the other 335 at my house if you were running out of room. I don't know if I'd of laid out money like that nice guy rbtree did cause I have to buy a couple of the new 50cc Dolmar's when they get here for Dan to PP. I promised my buddy Jim I'd get him one if they take to the mods like the 7900 did.

Roger
I am a glutton for punishment, bring the saw in with you for the show this week end. I will attempt anything once. I would like to look inside of one of those saws.
Later
Dan

I think the company Lear-jet is booked by my motley crew...to go to the Betty Ford Clinic.

And my bike has a flat...so I reckon you'll have to buzz those cookies without me.

I'll see how the old saws hold up for a while, then decide when to send the saw.

Cheers.

Rog

Hey rbtree,

On that 335 muffler is the orignal muffler opening closed or left open. or does it have two pipes, one comming out of the bottom and one out at the original site,
Now all i have is the orignal site bored outjust as far as the little round shield that was there.
Can it a non ported 335 handle two ports, if so i will try it on one of mine for now and see the diffrence.

Thanks

Playsafe lawmart

Hey Dan you wanna mod a saw? I got one here for ya, my BIG ugly old Jonsered 670.I aint run it in a while cause of a distinct carb/muffler related issue that it has. I need a complete woods mod job done on it.

Re: Hey!

Originally posted by geofore
Rich, you could have left that 335 and the other 335 at my house if you were running out of room.

Like my signature reads, you can never have to many saws!!!

Hey George,

You keep calling at the wrong time, I am either asleep or out working. ;)

Get me your ph. #.

Except 335's? You said you hated 'em, ya bum!

the one you sent me is delivering enuf oil, it appears...and is cutting like a bat out of 'ell, plus started on the third crank this mornin'!!

lawmart, I now have 3 ported mufflers, 5/8 opening, with the
original hole left as is....the saws are a bit louder than the Walkerized 5/8 port only, but run great. Total opening is about equal to cylinder exhasut port.

Originally posted by rbtree
Except 335's? You said you hated 'em, ya bum!

the one you sent me is delivering enuf oil, it appears...and is cutting like a bat out of 'ell, plus started on the third crank this mornin'!!

Hey Seattle Putz!!! It wasn't oiling fully, just a bunch of air bubbles with very little oil.

You're right though, I can't have too many saws except for the 335.

Besides..........you got a helluva deal on that one.

Hey, the saw took four cranks to start today...did it come with a warrant----y ...will it be arrested soon? Anybuddy got the BBB number for Rich's home town?

At this rate, by next week, I'll be throwing it out of the tree.

Harruumph...

...;) :blob2:

Originally posted by Rich Hoffman

Or has the MXT2 deadened your brain!:confused:

Ha you're one to talk....it's MX2T.....I know a good surgeon.......

...but twee, not blain....

I think it was the half tank of that castor bean stuff that dun me inn....:eek:

Originally posted by lawmart
Hey rbtree,

On that 335 muffler is the orignal muffler opening closed or left open. or does it have two pipes, one comming out of the bottom and one out at the original site,
Now all i have is the orignal site bored outjust as far as the little round shield that was there.
Can it a non ported 335 handle two ports, if so i will try it on one of mine for now and see the diffrence.

Thanks

Playsafe lawmart
rbtree,

How about some photo's of the 335 dual port muffler mod. need some details, especially the internal porting and outside.

Thanks,
CY

Here's what Walker's does...stock port covered up with one 5/8th tube.

WOW!!! Thank you rbtree :)

When you drill into the front of the muffler to insert the 5/8 ID tube, how far do you go? Just far enough to go thru the thin metal? How long is the tube?

Don't make the opening larger than 1-1.25x of exhaust port?

Other than match up the exhaust port, do you do anything to the flange side of muffler?

Thanks again for all your help.

CY

Just cut a hole, braze on a tube long enough to just clear the plastic side cover.

Nothing needs doing except that...

Originally posted by rbtree
Just cut a hole, braze on a tube long enough to just clear the plastic side cover.

Nothing needs doing except that...

Thank you.... too simple!!! :Monkey:

Just hard to explain.

Latest posts

Back