Stihl 441 vs 440/460 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windthrown

361 Junkie
Reaction score
OK, a question for the pros out there... I bought a 460 and tired it out. I liked the saw, but my hands really felt the vibration after using it. I returned it becasue it had cylinder and piston scoring, and it was pretty beaten up in a lot of key places. Anyway, I had a 'no questions asked' return policy, and so I returnd it.

Now, my question... I am leaning back toward a 441 again. I need something with more oomph to drop a lot of larger (3-5 ft DBH) oaks, firs and maples here, and to run a 24 inch bar on. The locals tell me to just put a 24 inch bar on the 361, but it seems OK with a 20 inch bar and I do not want it to bog it down in hard oak trunks with the 24. If I get the 441, am I gonna miss the power of the 460??? And does it vibrate that much less than a 440 or 460? They all seem to weigh about the same.

Thanks..

I have never used either, but from what I have read, the 441 is a lot smoother (Husky class smooth).

My 372xpg is extremely smooth imo.......:yoyo: :yoyo: :rockn:

Btw, was that 460 a new one?:confused:

OK, a question for the pros out there... I bought a 460 and tired it out. I liked the saw, but my hands really felt the vibration after using it. I returned it becasue it had cylinder and piston scoring, and it was pretty beaten up in a lot of key places. Anyway, I had a 'no questions asked' return policy, and so I returnd it.

Now, my question... I am leaning back toward a 441 again. I need something with more oomph to drop a lot of larger (3-5 ft DBH) oaks, firs and maples here, and to run a 24 inch bar on. The locals tell me to just put a 24 inch bar on the 361, but it seems OK with a 20 inch bar and I do not want it to bog it down in hard oak trunks with the 24. If I get the 441, am I gonna miss the power of the 460??? And does it vibrate that much less than a 440 or 460? They all seem to weigh about the same.

Thanks..

Get the 441. What you hear is true and the fuel mileage is a bonus.

Btw, was that 460 a new one?:confused:

No. It was used. Seemed like a good deal, but lo, it was not. A lightly used saw turned out to me a beater. I do not think that the owner was aware of the cylinder condition though. The plug was fouled. I think that running the 460 for weeks on end I would get white finger... not what I am looking for. My hands can only take so much vibration. The 290 is running real smooth, and the 361 glides. The Echo 3000 and 210 I hardly notice the vibration. Small and light. But the weight and vibes in the 460 really wore me out. Had to grip it tighter and strain more to keep up with the cutting. Granted, it tore through the trees pretty fast. It really went through the gas fast too though.

My idea was to get a good used 440/460 and use it this year and sell it after the bigger trees here are felled and bucked. The 361 and 290 will meet our firewood requirements, with the 210 is for limbing and thinning. Now I am thinking of the 441, but few used ones are out there. Maybe buy it new and the sell it as a "nearly new and pampered saw" on Ebay. At worst that would be about a $150 cost for a 'rental' saw for the year. I imagine that the 441 will hold its price pretty well on the used market.

... Now I am thinking of the 441, but few used ones are out there. Maybe buy it new and the sell it as a "nearly new and pampered saw" on Ebay. At worst that would be about a $150 cost for a 'rental' saw for the year. I imagine that the 441 will hold its price pretty well on the used market.

Sounds like a good plan to me....

The 441 has a much improved anti-vibe compared to the 440 / 460 design. As for cutting power it has a faster throttle response than a 440, and you will be happy with it, as mine has broken in I find it to cut faster than my 440. It is a well made saw.

I've got a 441 and like it. But just a thought, you could always get the 24" bar and chain and try it out on the 361. If you don't like it, then you got it already for the 441.

Having owned a 460, and now a 441. If you felt the 460 vibrated to much, youll love the 441. You wont really notice that big a difference in the power between the two and you will not be able to tell the 441 is running other than it making noise and throwing chips in your eyes.

The 441 will handle a 24" bar without issue.

EDIT: I just saw you were looking for opinions from "Pros." manual and TreeCo will be along shortly.:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Another option that hasn't been mentioned is getting the 361 ported so it will handle a longer bar better. The downside would be that you wouldn't be able to recoup your investment. I've been wondering how a WHS stage 2 or 3 would compare to my DN woods port.

Ian

I've run a 440 back to back with my 441. The 440 is so much more peaky in it's power delivery. It will probably cut just as fast, but requires a lighter touch. I've also used a 460. It really didn't seem much faster than the 441. It's powerband mirrored the 441, with just a bit more everywhere.

That being said, the 441 really does sip fuel. The pre-filtration is nice too. I can cut all day and the filter is still pretty free of debris. The 441's anit-vibe feels pretty similar to your 361, just a bit smoother. I've heard you can get stiffer springs for longer bars, but I don't envision you needing it on a 24".

Not a pro, but here goes.

Ran the 441, with a 24" bar, for a couple of hours yesterday. Limbed out a big White Beech (Little larger diameter than the saw bar) and cut a few chunks off of the trunk. Dropped a couple of decent Hemlock and limbed out three. Tinkered around a little with some small stuff just because.

At the end of it, I had no sensation at all of running a saw. My 026 beats me up way more than the 441. Smooth is an understatement.

Had on an RS chain for everything. The saw does pretty well in the Beech and Spooky fast the Hemlock.

361 full mods

Another option that hasn't been mentioned is getting the 361 ported so it will handle a longer bar better. The downside would be that you wouldn't be able to recoup your investment. I've been wondering how a WHS stage 2 or 3 would compare to my DN woods port.

Ian

Considered that. I figured the 441 would be cheaper with the 'rental' method than the 361 with full mod. I am not sure that you would get as much power out of a full mod 361 though. The 361 would be lighter. Dunno about the life expectancy of a fully modded 361 either. Engine stress? I am cutting/testing a muffler mod on the 290 now. If that works out, I will do the same on the 361. Easy to get a 2nd muffler and tweek them, then if they fail, back to stock. If they work, tweek the stock muffler and sell it on Ebay! :buttkick:

Ooooooohhhh...

Not a pro, but here goes.

Ran the 441, with a 24" bar, for a couple of hours yesterday. Limbed out a big White Beech (Little larger diameter than the saw bar) and cut a few chunks off of the trunk. Dropped a couple of decent Hemlock and limbed out three. Tinkered around a little with some small stuff just because.

At the end of it, I had no sensation at all of running a saw. My 026 beats me up way more than the 441. Smooth is an understatement.

Had on an RS chain for everything. The saw does pretty well in the Beech and Spooky fast the Hemlock.

Now, this is the kind of post that appeals to my sore hands and wallet.

And for a so-called non-pro, you seem to sound more on the pro side than the homeowner.

Now, this is the kind of post that appeals to my sore hands and wallet.

And for a so-called non-pro, you seem to sound more on the pro side than the homeowner.

Nice compliment. You get rep for that!!

Nope, not a pro at all. I really enjoy running a good saw though. The 441 does feel good in the hand. You don't want to do a lot of reaching with it, but if you let the tree take the weight of the saw, it's a pleasure to run.

Considered that. I figured the 441 would be cheaper with the 'rental' method than the 361 with full mod. I am not sure that you would get as much power out of a full mod 361 though. The 361 would be lighter. Dunno about the life expectancy of a fully modded 361 either. Engine stress? I am cutting/testing a muffler mod on the 290 now. If that works out, I will do the same on the 361. Easy to get a 2nd muffler and tweek them, then if they fail, back to stock. If they work, tweek the stock muffler and sell it on Ebay! :buttkick:

I believe that Ed has brought 361 woods modding to a new high level lately, but I also believe he has some health problem, and doesn't do many saws at the moment.........

A modded 361 is real fast.............but with a 24" bar you are better off with a 441.

How were the AV mounts on that 460? If it was as beat as you say that may explain for the rough running of the saw.

IMO you answered your own question when you said the 460 was hard on the hands!!!

Get the 441!!!

A modded 361 is real fast.............but with a 24" bar you are better off with a 441.

How were the AV mounts on that 460? If it was as beat as you say that may explain for the rough running of the saw.

IMO you answered your own question when you said the 460 was hard on the hands!!!

Get the 441!!!

Agree, but how about a 372xp.......:rockn: :rockn:

Sawtroll have you become a Husky salesman lately. I noticed here today 4 different threads with questions pertaining strickly to Stihl you come back with Husky in your reply, whats up with that ole feller.

However since your my buddy I'll tell why "not" a 372. The man wants a Stihl apparently and a smooth one. The 441 is SMOOTHER than a 372, I've run both, I know, cuts just as good as a 372, and is easier on fuel and has better vib springs, ones that don't snap so easily. Now whats that about a 372,wink!

Get the 441!!!

No problem with a 372.................just that he was into a 441!!!

Back