i may end up going to the other side

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o8f150

Tree Freak
Reaction score
most of you all know about my new 600p,,was having problems with the oiling hole in the bar clogging up and stopping flow to the bar,bar off and running the oiler is working right,well i called echo today and they told me to go to the local dealer and let them look at it,,so we stood there and talked about the problem and he checked the same thing i did and i couldn't get it through his head either that the oiling hole in the bar keeps clogging up,,,well he said in certain words that it might be something to live with,,BS,, i am not going to stop every 30 minutes and clean out the dang oiling hole,,,,when i got home tonight i checked my email and the rep from echo themselves sent me an email,,,and here is what he said,, "I am sorry to hear of the unfortunate difficulty in which you are experiencing with your ECHO product. If the oiler is getting clogged then please inspect the chain to insure that it is not dull. If the chain is ok then you may be using the wrong type of bar oil for the temperature that your cutting in. Please click on the below link for information on bar and chain oil applications."
well i clicked on the link and it took me straight to what i am using as far as bar oil goes,,,
i know i am blowing off steam,,,but it is funny that you can explain the problem to them and they either respond with something stupid and nothing to do with the exact problem,,,, or to tell me to just deal with it,, every echo i have had has never had this problem and has always oiled perfect and the bar has never clogged up,, i think stihl is looking pretty good right now,,,
thanks for letting me vent,,,,i may do what an AS member told me that i could do was to make the oiling hole in the bar bigger

I have 009 that oils well. I'd swap ya straight up.

Seriously, drill the bar oil hole bigger. I have seen those holes clogged with paint on saws of all colors.

I have 009 that oils well. I'd swap ya straight up.

Seriously, drill the bar oil hole bigger. I have seen those holes clogged with paint on saws of all colors.

it is open,,,i know that because i have unclogged it several times with compressed air,,,,,i know i run an oregon bar and woodland pro the other day on it for about 15 minutes and there was nothing in the oiling hole,it was clear,,,,,,but i will try to drill it a bit and make sure there is nothing in there

You will like Stihl alot. They have a chip installed in there saws that detects a clogged oiler and the chip sends a message to your flippy cap and it immediately pops off--oil promblem solved. Pretty dang smart if you ask me.:monkey:

:cheers:

LOLOL Got me good!

You will like Stihl alot. They have a chip installed in there saws that detects a clogged oiler and the chip sends a message to your flippy cap and it immediately pops off--oil promblem solved. Pretty dang smart if you ask me.:monkey:

:cheers:

i just spit my coke all over the key board,,,that was just plain funny:ices_rofl::ices_rofl:

The hole needs to be made so that it is up closer to the chain drive links, that will help keep it clear, also angle the hole toward the tip of the bar. I have done this so many times on the Stihl E and ES bars, holes are a little small and a tad too low for the drive links to keep it clear.

Pioneerguy600

The hole needs to be made so that it is up closer to the chain drive links, that will help keep it clear, also angle the hole toward the tip of the bar. I have done this so many times on the Stihl E and ES bars, holes are a little small and a tad too low for the drive links to keep it clear.

Pioneerguy600

pioneer,,you just hit the nail on the head,,you can look through the hole and just barely see the very tip of the drive link,,that is what i tried to tell them at the dealer and they would not listen

A couple of dumb questions.

What type of drill would you use? I know that bars are made of pretty sturdy metal.

How do you angle the bar &/or the drill to get the angle toward the tip of the bar?

Last edited:
I have several sets of cobalt drill bits that drill chain bars with no problems. I can`t prove this but I think chain bars are being made with smaller holes to slow the flow of oil to the chain to help appease groups like EPA and other anti logging, anti polluting groups and agency`s. Every year I hear about all the oil that is being dumped upon the earth by chainsaw wielding
, forest raping uncaring individuals that don`t care for the enviroment.

Pioneerguy600

I have several sets of cobalt drill bits that drill chain bars with no problems. I can`t prove this but I think chain bars are being made with smaller holes to slow the flow of oil to the chain to help appease groups like EPA and other anti logging, anti polluting groups and agency`s. Every year I hear about all the oil that is being dumped upon the earth by chainsaw wielding
, forest raping uncaring individuals that don`t care for the enviroment.

Pioneerguy600

Prolly so.... I bought a cheep bar and had to open the hole up. Like you said, angle it up and toward the tip so the chain is trying to pull the oil out as it goes round. Helped the 372 alot.

You know if you "go to the other side", that red head of yours will have you back on Montels show for the 5th time.

Doubt ole Monty will give ya a free trip this time!:cheers:

I have a 36" echo on my 394 and it clogs up pretty bad as well.

Think Ill do as Jerry says, and mod it a little bit. Thanks again Jerry!

Note the sharpness of the point on the tip of the drive links. Chains that have been run loose or run on worn drive sprockets will develop dulled drive link tips. These tips are made sharp to rake out sawdust from the bar groove. Rounded tips will pack the oily sawdust into the bar groove, and if the oil hole is low, this packed sawdust will close off the hole.

Note the sharpness of the point on the tip of the drive links. Chains that have been run loose or run on worn drive sprockets will develop dulled drive link tips. These tips are made sharp to rake out sawdust from the bar groove. Rounded tips will pack the oily sawdust into the bar groove, and if the oil hole is low, this packed sawdust will close off the hole.

Correct,...but in this case the OP is using a new saw, new bar and chain, these bars come with the oil hole a little small and also a little low for the sharp drive links to rake the hole clean.

Pioneerguy600

Latest posts

Back