Making new diaphragms for Disston, D0-101, Fuel meter.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lewis Brander

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi to everyone. I am in the process of trying to make some new fuel meter diaphragms for my old Disston saw. I have some .016" Buna Nylon diaphragm material, but need to attach 2, 1/2" diameter neoprene buttons to each side of the .016" diaphragm material. The buttons need to be .027" thick, to give a total thickness of about .070". I tried to use buttons I made from a radial tire patch. I roughed up the buna material, cleaned it with rubber cleaner, applied some chemical tire cement and attached the buttons I made. It seemed to bond and I assembled the old fuel meter and started the saw. It ran great for a few minutes and flooded out. I disassembled the fuel meter and the gas disolved the cement. I'm now looking for .027" thick buna nylon material to make new buttons and cement to attach them that will stand up to the newer gas we now use. Anyone have any suggestions. I have attached a quick drawing of what I'm trying to do. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks. Lewis.

Lewis, I cant help you with the material, but I might be of some assistance when it comes to the adhesive. Use weatherstrip adhesive sold by Honda. It is not soluble in gasoline and can be had from any Honda motorcycle dealer. Honda reccomends the stuff for sealing the air box to intake boot inferace on their two cycle dirt bikes. This area sees constant fuel spray so I imagine the adhesive would work fine for you. I have also used regular weatherstrip adhesive(yellow) from autozone with good results although I dont know how it would do long term. However, I would bet its the same stuff as Honda sells as it looks and smells the same.

Lewis- where did you get the material? I need something like that so I can make pulse pump diaphragms for a Bing 49 carburetor that came stock on Stihl 064 saws but was discontinued.

Lewis;
I haven't tried this myself, but have you considered the heat activated tire patch? No adhesive involved! If you need a sharp border, you can cut a ring of copper tubing to "form" the 1/2"
circle while you heat the patch

Diaphragms:

To Jacob J. The website Scottr gave is where I got the material, he supplied me that address also. I am going to also send them an email and see what they have for suggestions.

To kam. I remember seeing that process done say 15 to 20 years ago but haven't seen it done lately. All my tire and tube repair materials, I did while I was in buseness, were supplied by the " Tech Tire" supplier. I haven't seen any vulcanizing done in quite some time. I don't know how much heat the .016" Buna nylon material would withstand before it would be ruind.

To bwalker. I don't know how the weather stripping cement would work. I've used the stuff and it works great for what it's intended for, but after using it and getting it on my handss I've used kerosene to get it off my hands. Seems that it will soften and disolve the stuff. I appreciate the suggestions Lewis.

Diaphragm material source:

To Jacob J. The fellow that I have been communecating with is Mike Shannon at Anchor Rubber. His Email is: < [email protected] >. Seems like a real nice fellow and will ansure any questions you have in a timely manor. I've emailed him and hoping to see what he has to say about materials and adhesives. Hope he can help. Lewis.

What about some type of pop rivet instead of glue? Maybe drill small hole through buttons and fasten rivet through. Use some gas tank sealer to fill gaps? :confused:

To Datatwins:

The pop rivet idea may work on one of the diaphragms, but the fuel shut off diaphragm needs to seal a nozzel tip. I'll try to draw and post a pic of how the diaaphragms are sitrwated inside the fuel meter. Thanks for the suggestion. Lewis.

Rough drawing of relationship of diaphrams:

This is a really rough pic of the relationship of the diaphragms. I'll also attach a page from the parts book, so that you can see the old fuel meter and parts listings. Lewis.

Carb diaphram reply

An idea,my work,my not.A thought occured to me that just maybe a diaphram from a mechanical fuel pump on an older Ford Chevy,etc. may be able to be cut down and retrofitted for this use.Another possibility is the giant Tillotson used on early Harley sportsters,I think it was a model Hd,but my memory can,t recall after 30 yrs of being away from my "biker " days and my Tillotsn book does not cover this model.Good luck. Al

Diaphram more ideas

Just found this website,oldmercs.com.They list a part # 23390A1,that looks very close to the part you need. Al

Would a cyanoacrylate glue work? <a href="http://www.cyberbond1.com/cyanoacrylates/rb_2006.html"> Here</a> is a link to a product specifically iintended for rubber and other elastomers. The have several other similar products as well.

To Al Smith and eyolf:

Hi guys. Thanks for the replies.

To Al Smith. I visited the oldmercs.com and found the fuil pump kit you mentioned. It looks like it would work for the old AC- Delco fuel pump on the saw. I've already rebuilt the old fuel pump using a kit for a Kolher engine from NAPA and replaced the magneto coil with one ordered from oldmercs.com. The saw ran well after painting and assembley last September, but after sitting over the winter the gas appears to have destroyed the 2 diaphragms I'm trying to replace. I made a couple replacement diaphragms that seemed to work fairly well, untill the "buttons" I glued on separated. Not going to give up on her as yet. I've emailed anchor rubber, still waiting for a reply. Thanks. Lewis.

To eyolf. I visited the site you gave me, but can't seem to download their PDF files. Any suggestions? Do I need to download something to read them. I have Addobe acrobat on my computer, but it appears that I need something else, unless I didn't give it enough time to download. This site looks like it may offer an adhesive I might be able to use. Suggestions would be helpfull. Thanks. Lewis.

In the mean time I'm going to try to do something with J-B Weld. It doesn't list any type of rubber on the container that can be bonded, but it just might work. Going to try and glue 2 pieces of the Buna Nylon material together and emerse it in some gas to see if it will hold together. Will let everyone know it it works. I found my weatherstrip tube of adhesive, but it's dried up. May consider getting a small tube and try that also. Thanks for the suggestions. Lewis.

Lewis:

I didn't have any trouble with the adobe files from cyber bond. I did notice that the rubber-adhesive types are softened/dissolved by Acetone, Nitromethane, and dimethylformamide. I guess that means you couldn't use the saw in a top fuel class...LOL!

I know about cyber bond because I use a couple of their products at work. I bet other companies also have similar products.

I took a minute just now to search for loctite brand adhesives...spendy, but <a href="http://www.mscdirect.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=2001110&pcount=15&Product_Id=391222&Keyword=Y">here</a> is a similar product from loctite, you can order from MSC.

Good luck!

Making Carb Diaphragms:

Hi to all. Sorry for the delay in responding. Haven't been on for a few days. Doing some clering and yardwork for my mom.

I finally got a chance to try the J-B weld, but doesn't look like it's going to work. I have a couple pieces of rubber curing or drying at present, will see what happens tomorrow.

I got a reply from anchorrubber on some material and cement. They have some .031" buna nylon material, that is pretty close to the .027" material that I''m looking for, but the problem is the glue. They have some neoprene based glue that is sold by the quart and will cost $65.00 including shipping to get it to me. They suggested using a local source for the neopuene based cement. Any one on this site have any suggestions on what brands to look for. or know where smaller quantities of neoprene cement might be obtained from?

To eyolf, I tried to download those PDF files again, no luck and will also check out the Loctite site you supplied. Thanks.

Any suggestions for locating some of the neoprene based rubber cement would be greatly appreciated. Lewis.

To eyolf:

I opened my adobe file and managed to configure it to work on my computer. I sent cyberbond and email and now will see if they can help witn finding a cement that will work. Also visited the locktite site. Thanks for your help. Lewis.

The J-B weld idea didn't work. It seemed to bond the 2 pieces together untill they were placed in galoline overnight. Then they sepaarated. Haven't given up as yet. I'll eventually fine something to bond the Buna Nylon Rubber material. Also sent anchorrubber an email to find out the brand name of the cement he suggested and get prices of the .031" material he has. Take care. Lewis.

buna n

Lewis;Try a company called McMaster-Carr.The can be accessed on the web.They list all sizes of buna n sheet stock,as well as many types of "gasket type'" goods.They used to list a type of glue used for bonding o rings [ also buna n ] Al

Back