Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That many chips indicate bad things. The plating is either delaminating on its own or something hard got banged around in there for a long time. Neither is good.

I would either put new rings on the old piston and run it or replace the whole cylinder and piston. Considering the cylinder and the age of the saw, the bearings probably aren't in great shape. I would plan on a full rebuild fairly soon.

I would probably run it until it dies and then rebuild.

That many chips indicate bad things. The plating is either delaminating on its own or something hard got banged around in there for a long time. Neither is good.

I would either put new rings on the old piston and run it or replace the whole cylinder and piston. Considering the cylinder and the age of the saw, the bearings probably aren't in great shape. I would plan on a full rebuild fairly soon.

I would probably run it until it dies and then rebuild.

Solid advice and insight. Thank you, I appreciate it!

TBE
I'm going through the same thing and I just read your thread about your 394 and I got to the end of it and I don't see the result did you get it running do you still have the saw just curious same situation I'm wondering what the result is thank

TBE
I'm going through the same thing and I just read your thread about your 394 and I got to the end of it and I don't see the result did you get it running do you still have the saw just curious same situation I'm wondering what the result is thank
Sorry to hear about your troubles! I know how frustrating that is!

I ended up buying a 395 conversion kit for it. Super easy to install and she’s been purring like a cat since m. I’ve had it in 42” wide white oak slabbing and she trucked right on through. Hope this helps, good luck!

Latest posts

Back