refitting bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al Smith

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Often times the subject of refitting bars arises on this forum.I have been going to submit these pictures for a while,and finally got around to it.Most of the time the subject saw in question, is a large McCulloch or Homelite,as replacements for these are rather hard to find.Large mount Stihl bars are readily available,and this is what I use.Both Mac and Homey use 3/8" bar studs,but the slot in the Stihl bar is larger,so a bushing ,or spacer must be used.In picture 24 ,you can see the bushing,which I turned on a lathe,for this purpose.I imagine a suitable length of tubing would also work.In picture 25,it shows the oil hole,that has been slotted to line up with the oiling hole in the saw.Another hole has been drilled to accommodate the bar tightening mechanism .Because of the way I slotted the oil hole,this bar will work on both my Sp 125,and Homelite 2100s.It should be noted that the bar studs for the Homelite,are farther from the sprocket than both the Mac,and Stihl.When used on a Homelite,another link or 2 should be added to the chain.

Pioneer bar for P51 will go right on my 380 Mac with no fuss, they are starting to get hard to come by though. Big Husky uses a center slot of .355 which is just .020 shy of 3/8, most bars are a little on the sloppy side so you really have very little to file out.

Something like this?

I did the same thing on an Echo CS-670.

attachment_19583.php

I have tinkered a bit with harvester bars, and is getting pretty close to result. The biggest problem is the bar oil hole, but I think I came around that. I will post some pic's if and when i am satisfied.

Latest posts

Back